Do wipers cause wind resistance?

Mike Coleman

500RPM
Sep 4, 2008
I've been wondering this for a long time: Will turning on your wipers while going down a straight at 170mph cause any wind resistance?

I know in real life it would, but does the game simulate it?

James Yates

2000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
Short answer, no... :wink2:
Long answer, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :wink2:

Even in real life wipers wont make a huge difference to the airflow over the car i wouldn't think, hence why it wouldn't be a feature in a game. That and if they were moving it would probably have to make a load of calculations depending on their speed and position.

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
Pretty good question, didnt know that either, and i was wondering the same for a very long time.
All the :poop: that birds drop on my window will that slow the car down? It should seeing the enormous amount they dump during a race :D

Feb 17, 2008
with the amount of crap they drop there is probaly a need of barge boards to get the air clean move over the window .... ofc you will have to hold now your head outside the window that couses more dirty air so you need to put on more of these barge boards :p

Sep 25, 2008
Then don't put your wipers on you will lost 0,0000000000000000000000000000000001 per lap :rotfl:

But seriously wipers dont going to make you slower in that game.

Simon Trendell

5000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
It's got the have some sort of effect in real life if manufactures have the wipers stopped in the veritcal position :p

J-F Chardon

SimBin Studios
Feb 24, 2008
Having a dirty car should make the fuel consumption a little bit higher, though.

By the way, for a new game featuring endurance races, that would be an idea to implement. A dirt build up on the car just like we have on the windscreen.

Would be good for immersion, wouldn't it?

K

Kyle Evers

Pretty good question, didnt know that either, and i was wondering the same for a very long time.
All the :poop: that birds drop on my window will that slow the car down? It should seeing the enormous amount they dump during a race :D
I hope you realize those are dead bugs, not bird droppings.