Do we really need to ponder about AC2 already?

Andreas Knöpke

Let's drive side by side!
Do we have a fundamental problem as a simracing community or as gamers in general? :O_o:

I remember back in the summer of 1999 I was crazy about the demo of UT99 & the test versions of Quake 3 and it was tough waiting till the end of that very year for the full releases. However, once those were out I was happy to be able to play them and so was everyone else as far as I recall that time. Sure enough, 3 years later when the alpha of UT2003 leaked, I as well as anybody else, jumped onto that ship but during the time in between those games, I don't remember that the community was very vocal about the next thing.

Nowadays, however, it feels like with the release of Game A the community is already beginning to shout for its successor. And yes, by now ACC is not particularly new anymore but given there is still stuff happening with it in terms of updates & DLC, do we really need to spend our time pondering how AC2 could or should look like?
I mean, heck, even AC1 is still going strong with massive visual upgrades as well as tons of first class car & track mods.

So I guess my question really is: Have we forgotten to enjoy the stuff we've actually got right now and are instead too focussed on the next best thing?

Kunos has people uneasy about AC2 and what it will bring. Telling them the type of evolution we do want for AC2 makes a lot of sense, at least then its not bad because they misunderstood what their players wanted but because they ignored all of it and went their own way.

Well they DID announce that they were in the early stages of development on AC2...

https://www.racedepartment.com/news...console-editions-and-mobile-release-date.181/

And that changes exactly what now?

We also know that there will ne a new / next generation of Porsche 911s or Ford Mustangs out in the world but I don't see the world talking about new generations when the current has just been launched. Apart from journalists maybe ;)

Kunos has people uneasy about AC2 and what it will bring. Telling them the type of evolution we do want for AC2 makes a lot of sense, at least then its not bad because they misunderstood what their players wanted but because they ignored all of it and went their own way.

That feels like wishful thinking to be honest.
A game will always be what the devs wanted to create, I doubt the gamers will have a massive inpact on the design.

Plus, Marco has said many times that the next project would focus a lot more on game mechanics as he felt those were lacking previously.

I am always interested in the newest games, especially when they contain new technology so having discussions, wishlists and eventually development news and updates really ads to the experience for me.

And as we are all community creatures, this is what community is all about (for me at least, love it).

i like the ponder but Andreas has a very good point, i noticed it a lot with my summer car. The game wasn't even out and people were beggin for a sequel, i had to stop and wonder WTF was going on.
1638025047242.png

The first AC discussions started almost 10 years ago :)

Buy a sim, buy DLC, sim gets a sequel, original still gets updates,, DLC becomes obsolete, repeat as many times as people are willing to pay. And folks complain about iracing.

Reactions: BP
I'll answer your question with a question: How will offering suggestions for a future title make users stop playing the current titles?

I'll bet my life savings that, without even checking SteamDB, AC1 and ACC player count hasn't dropped significantly (and will not drop significantly) because this new forum was created. Even if it does, it most definitely will not be a result of a few community members offering suggestions.

Even if the devs don't follow the community, they can't say that they didn't know (I mean they can, but who would believe them? :roflmao: )

TL;DR: Your post comes across as essentially "How dare you even bother to dream about what could be?" on a forum designed specifically for talking about not only "what is", but also "what could be" in sim racing. Sounds like negativity for the sake of it.

Last edited:
And yes, by now ACC is not particularly new anymore but given there is still stuff happening with it in terms of updates & DLC, do we really need to spend our time pondering how AC2 could or should look like?
Compare apples to apples. ACC has little to do with original AC, wouldn't you say?

Myself I don't play ACC that much, as the only car that interests me is Porsche Cup car. If I want to drive GT3 I'd rather play R3E because it has BMW Z4 that ACC sadly doesn't have.
AC is pretty old sim by now, and even though it's still great there is a room for improvement. I look forward to AC2 while still enjoying AC. Great times

The funny thing to me is that some of the worst parts of AC1 are due to user requests. People said they wanted iRacing style multiplayer instead of netkar's join when you want, and that's what they got; it's designed to make prescheduled races easy to manage and that's about it.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Do we know format of the new game, is is AC style kitchen sink, some specific racing series, historic?
Do Kunos know that already or still contemplating thus reason for this whole section?

Do we have a fundamental problem as a simracing community or as gamers in general? :O_o:

I remember back in the summer of 1999 I was crazy about the demo of UT99 & the test versions of Quake 3 and it was tough waiting till the end of that very year for the full releases. However, once those were out I was happy to be able to play them and so was everyone else as far as I recall that time. Sure enough, 3 years later when the alpha of UT2003 leaked, I as well as anybody else, jumped onto that ship but during the time in between those games, I don't remember that the community was very vocal about the next thing.

Nowadays, however, it feels like with the release of Game A the community is already beginning to shout for its successor. And yes, by now ACC is not particularly new anymore but given there is still stuff happening with it in terms of updates & DLC, do we really need to spend our time pondering how AC2 could or should look like?
I mean, heck, even AC1 is still going strong with massive visual upgrades as well as tons of first class car & track mods.

So I guess my question really is: Have we forgotten to enjoy the stuff we've actually got right now and are instead too focussed on the next best thing?

We? I don't know if you've been living under a rock playing Quake 3 for some time, but the development cycle of games 20 years ago was a bit different than it is today. You probably don't have to ponder about anything and be happy with whatever you play, since that seems to float your boat. To each their own. If the devs themselves want to know what the customers would like to see in their next product, is there a problem with communicating those wishes we actually pay for? Or do "we" have to write 1 page skewed perceptions about the psychological state of the never fulfilled simracing community?

What I want in AC2?

- an engine built with the future in mind
- modding support - we all see what a handful of guys could do to the first one (Ilja and the gang)
- top notch physics (that work even when the car is standing still) - with an emphasis on tire model, bushings, flexing parts/chassis, etc
- good force feedback (no canned effects)
- day/night cycles
- weather
- an emphasis on street cars that made history, rather than on the latest lamborghini/ferrari/bugatti with 4000 driving aids
- tracks made using photogrammetry, at least in part

Buy a sim, buy DLC, sim gets a sequel, original still gets updates,, DLC becomes obsolete, repeat as many times as people are willing to pay. And folks complain about iracing.
Whataboutism. One shitty model does not excuse another shitty model. In the end, they'll all try to squeeze us for repeat payments. Games as a service is :poop:

I never really outright complain about iRacing, but.... c'mon. iRacing 1 new track or car is the same or half the price of entire DLCs for other games. And the base game prices are cheaper or on par with a 50% discount yearly sub.
And it's not like there is a new iteration of each of the other games coming out every year.

All in all, iRacing is too expensive for a lot of people. If it's worth it is another matter entirely. Pick your poison.

At least there's no loot boxes in sim racing..... yet

Last edited:
Whataboutism. One shitty model does not excuse another shitty model. In the end, they'll all try to squeeze us for repeat payments. Games as a service is :poop:

I never really outright complain about iRacing, but.... c'mon. iRacing 1 new track or car is the same or half the price of entire DLCs for other games. And the base game prices are cheaper or on par with a 50% discount yearly sub.
And it's not like there is a new iteration of each of the other games coming out every year.

All in all, iRacing is too expensive for a lot of people. If it's worth it is another matter entirely. Pick your poison.

At least there's no loot boxes in sim racing..... yet
You are correct I should not have mentioned iRacing as I did not intend to be comparing marketing directly just the idea of making purchases that become obsolete through marketing rather then becoming obsolete naturally through advancement of technology. Hard to argue that AC1 or ACC are obsolete as they are still available for purchase and play yet no previously purchased DLC is compatible with new versions.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 222 14.3%