PC2 Do we need another off-road game?

That is the question. Now Pcars 2 has been announced and once the next couple of patches get released and everybody settles down, do we need another off roader. There are 3 being released this year alone and I'm sure they will be yearly as well. The Dirt Rally early access on PC is shaping up nicely then you have Milestone's Sebastian Loeb which will be crap as all there recent years releases have become and then there is the WRC from an unknown French company which could be amazing or crap. Pcars 2 (On the information I've read) is also looking to follow in the off road theme. How will it compare, compete? Personally, I'd would rather they have gone down a similar road/circuit route for Pcars 2 but that's just my own opinion. Please discuss in a constructive non trolling way
wink.png
smile.png
smile.png

There will always be a market, especially since there is a fan base behind project cars. If this would be the first game in the pcars series, it would be questionable the same way you made this thread, but since they already have a fan base, is not much of a risk. Even more because they won't release pcars2 this or next year. And I think wrc and loeb rally will wear out faster than dirt rally.

WRC 5 is clearly arcade from the E3 videos. But the question is how WRC6/7 will look.
Sebastian Loeb Rally is currently unclear. But Milestone are making it so I'm not holding out too much hope.... I imagine it will be a one-off rather than a huge series.
DiRT Rally is going nicely (not the ultimate rally sim ever, but huge fun despite that), and will also have Rallycross licensed content, which definitely pitches it against pCARS 2 in terms of licensed content. And if it does well the sequel could be a direct pCARS 2 competitor.

Irrespective of the rally competition, if pCARS 2 opts to build a top notch loose surface physics engine and branches out to trucks, buggies, even Dakar vehicles, it would have a niche completely to itself. The question is whether than niche is worth filling.

Assuming a 2017 earliest release, the main question is which of the 2015 games listed will have sequels which compete with pCARS 2.

We'll see, won't we :)

WRC 5 is clearly arcade from the E3 videos.
Some WMD members police forums to see if people use the term "simcade" to describe Project CARS. If users aren't allowed to say "simcade" you aren't allowed to use "arcade" based on seeing just a video without testing it yourself. :)

On topic: I don't need multiple rally games at once. There has been a gap of 10 years where nobody bothered to fill in the hole that RBR left and now we have four or five titles doing the same. Bit pointless.

I am looking for a Le Mans / WEC game including all the features needed to make it a proper experience.

We had a complete gulf of decent racing titles from around 2007 - 2013, I mean there was very little released with the exception of iRacing. It does seem like we now have a large glut of sims all competing for a similar market, which I guess is both good and bad. Good because competition is postitive and keeps companies on their toes, but bad because having so many titles available waters down the playerbase of what is already a niche pool of customers.

I think there is indeed a market for a decent off road game. Look at how well Motorstorm did on console. And the Dirt and Colin McRea games that were appalling after the second one realy.

And in some respects I think WMD are doing a good thing here trying to get the hardest thing in simulation right, that weird feeling of being off road and the lack of grip that is involved, it is a very difficult thing to master. But will they manage it?

Some mods in RF1 managed it, and some of the early Dirt games, though a bit less sim than RBR managed it too.

I never really got on with RBR, it was a pain to get it to work with a wheel, and I lost interest every time I tried it.

But if someone, somewhere can get off road physics right, it could be a hit.

It is essentially only a small part of the game though it seems, which in itself will follow on from most modern console games in being a core game patched up every year for 40 quid, theya re just using the off road angle for PR.

Some WMD members police forums to see if people use the term "simcade" to describe Project CARS. If users aren't allowed to say "simcade" you aren't allowed to use "arcade" based on seeing just a video without testing it yourself. :)

Fair enough... I retract the "arcade" comment. Let's just say that with the new owner of the WRC license needing a good widely adopted product for their first release, and based on the very wide tracks shown in E3 videos, my expectation is that WRC5 is aiming at the broadest possible audience.

I don't get the "I only need one rally game" comment though in relation to pCARS 2: let's assume that the 2015 rally game of choice is DiRT Rally (based on my assessment of simracer relevance), how does that impact the 2017 rally game of choice?

Sebastian Loeb Rally is currently unclear.
For me it´s very clear :poop::confused:

Dirt Rally is nice, but will never have that much content that i would spend more than a few hours time with it and pCars 2 will be released in a few years. So it´s nice to see something bigger on the way and i love to drift in pCars 1 in the rain. The physics are superior over Dirt Rally already.

Last edited:
A proper Dakar style thing wouldn't hurt. With pc2 we can probably expect a little bit of rally but only to justify the marketing. For me, rally is a wholesome experience and not interesting as a feature in a racing game. Like ToCa Racedriver games which featured a bit of everything.

Unfortunately pCARS 2 is intending to stick to "track" racing. So we won't get open world environments, and Dakar type stages are almost certainly not feasible.

PCARS 1 already has point-to-point locations, of course, so adding different surfaces would be possible (imagine a mountain pass stage which starts on dry tarmac, then over to dirt tracks, then ice, then snow)

I actually doubt there will be rally type gameplay, I expect Rallycross tracks (mixed mud, gravel and tarmac) and mixed surface courses, but not multiple stage rallies.

CORR type trucks or buggies around dirt tracks with jumps and mud build up are still definitely on my wish list :)

I personally think yes, we do need another offroad game because I feel that rallycross isn't prevalent enough in simracing. The GSCE/rFactor mods aren't exactly brilliant and the RX in Dirt 3 isn't the best either. There's no forced joker laps like RL and it would be nice to do some laps on the FIA World RX Championship tracks, like Barcelona Catalunya & Holjes for example.

:D

I personally think yes, we do need another offroad game because I feel that rallycross isn't prevalent enough in simracing. The GSCE/rFactor mods aren't exactly brilliant and the RX in Dirt 3 isn't the best either. There's no forced joker laps like RL and it would be nice to do some laps on the FIA World RX Championship tracks, like Barcelona Catalunya & Holjes for example.

:D

Holjes you said?

Nice of you to single out WMD members as the ones searching for this type of behavior to describe whatever. Actually it's more the Sim Snob throwing around these labels regardless of what their favorite sim is. However I do agree people are quick to label before they try the game first hand

I think there is indeed a market for a decent off road game. Look at how well Motorstorm did on console. And the Dirt and Colin McRea games that were appalling after the second one realy.

And in some respects I think WMD are doing a good thing here trying to get the hardest thing in simulation right, that weird feeling of being off road and the lack of grip that is involved, it is a very difficult thing to master. But will they manage it?

Some mods in RF1 managed it, and some of the early Dirt games, though a bit less sim than RBR managed it too.

I never really got on with RBR, it was a pain to get it to work with a wheel, and I lost interest every time I tried it.

But if someone, somewhere can get off road physics right, it could be a hit.

It is essentially only a small part of the game though it seems, which in itself will follow on from most modern console games in being a core game patched up every year for 40 quid, theya re just using the off road angle for PR.

Why not just ride off into the sunset and be happy dude? Members @WMD strongly urged for SMS to develop some type of Rally or Off Road style game or content so your angle that it's just PR is total BS and for a second there I thought you were trying to make valid points of discussion but you end up turning it into your typical troll.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 498 39.1%