Do modders have the permission to use the company's name like subaru for their mods?

Hello. I am new to assetto corsa. I won't want to be a deal breaker here but I would like to ask if those highly rated car mods have permission to use the company's brand name like subaru?

I think the general belief is since it's not attempting to represent itself as an official product, it's a fair use for artwork, not something that requires permission.

Last edited:
Till today there is a "tolerance" as long as you don't make money with copyrighted material. But legally the copyrights owner has the plain rights to engage lawsuits. In general the owner only ask for the mod to be removed.

As long as you aren't charging for the mod and are not bring the company name into "disrepute", 99.9% of brands will allow you to use their logos and trademarks without you specifically seeking their permission. After all, it's free advertising for them and denying free mods is more likely to harm their rep than protect it.

If using company names was an issue then it would have been raised and dealt with a long, long time ago.

As long as you aren't charging for the mod and are not bring the company name into "disrepute", 99.9% of brands will allow you to use their logos and trademarks without you specifically seeking their permission. After all, it's free advertising for them and denying free mods is more likely to harm their rep than protect it.

If using company names was an issue then it would have been raised and dealt with a long, long time ago.
Right now some sim wheel makers produce and sell GT3 replica wheels, and the manufacturers allow this too without actual (written out) licence agreements. There's a lot of leeway and tolerance if you approach it right.

Some brands like Ferrari do care alot about their public representation and act much harsher.

As with anything, it's only an issue when someone decides to make it one; and many free mods have been nuked by copyright holders in the past. Most don't care/know, though, so it's generally accepted.

Don't confuse 'generally accepted' with legal, though. Making a mod of a real car without permission is technically against copyright.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back