Do I need an extra sound card for buttkicker?

Guys , I know I ask lots of questions but I do need help...I have a buttkicker 2 on the way, do I need another sound card ? as I use the HDMI output from my video card to my tv this also gives me sound, so I'm thinking that the mother board sound card is not being used , is that right ??

Guys , I know I ask lots of questions but I do need help...I have a buttkicker 2 on the way, do I need another sound card ? as I use the HDMI output from my video card to my tv this also gives me sound, so I'm thinking that the mother board sound card is not being used , is that right ??

You'll be good to go then. Your onboard sound card can be used for your butkicker and your monitor can be used for your in game audio tbrough hdmi. But if you want headphones or external speakers and your monitor does NOT have aux input, then you'll need another sound card. You should check out the tactile immersion thread here on RD for more info

Upvote 0
In short no
There are a few options....
You'll get more out of your buttkicker if you use simhub which is free or a small donation which works great. You can use your onboard sound for in-game audio and simhub will use the physics off it too.

I use simhub to use my onboard audio to my buttkicker and a few rumble motors, for gaming audio I have a Kingston hyperx cloud II 7.1 USB headset with an external soundcard built in.

If you use iracing there latest build added a bass shaker option to there audio options and works really well. I am kinda surprised other devs haven't done this?

Anyways, enjoy!
I can't race without a bass shaker now, probably my favorite upgrade :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

In short no
There are a few options....
You'll get more out of your buttkicker if you use simhub which is free or a small donation which works great. You can use your onboard sound for in-game audio and simhub will use the physics off it too.
Is that really the case?
ShakeIt allows you to use any audio outputs required, up to 8 channels each, these outputs (sound cards) must be dedicated to bass shakers to avoid any conflicts between regular sound (game sounds) and generated frequencies (dedicated to shakers).

Upvote 0
Is that really the case?
Yes,the bottom quote is if you use more than 1 shaker it will need a second dedicated card, my rumble motors ran off an Arduino board which is also incorporated into simhub.

It worked for me until I added my USB headset, I just ran a Y cable from the green audio slot. 1 to my headset the other to my buttkicker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have four shakers, using just one stereo amp and one stereo cable connected to the front speakers output on my motherboard. You have to make a serial connection between the shakers on each side. Now, I'm adding one shaker to my pedals and I suppose I will use the center/subwoofer output on my motherboard.

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump on this but could I ask a question please?
I have sound built-in on my mobo and am using optical for the soundbar and sub, I also have UBS wireless headphones that I use when I am racing and need discord etc.

I have just acquired a Buttkicker mini concert that I want to use as a shaker. I have a secondary soundcard available, is it advisable for me to use the second soundcard for vibration using the sub out connection and leave the remaining speakers on the built in mobo?

Sorry if thats a bit badly put together im VERY new to this!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a secondary soundcard available, is it advisable for me to use the second soundcard for vibration using the sub out connection and leave the remaining speakers on the built in mobo?

I used to use a cheapo usb external sound card for two of my base shakers. So you should be fine. Just assign that second sound card you have to your base shaker in your base shaker software (simhub, simvibe, etc...) And you should be fine, since your mobo is already occupied

Upvote 0
I used to use a cheapo usb external sound card for two of my base shakers. So you should be fine. Just assign that second sound card you have to your base shaker in your base shaker software (simhub, simvibe, etc...) And you should be fine, since your mobo is already occupied

YES!
Thankyou, I have been getting pretty stressed about it!

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump on this but could I ask a question please?
I have sound built-in on my mobo and am using optical for the soundbar and sub, I also have UBS wireless headphones that I use when I am racing and need discord etc.

I have just acquired a Buttkicker mini concert that I want to use as a shaker. I have a secondary soundcard available, is it advisable for me to use the second soundcard for vibration using the sub out connection and leave the remaining speakers on the built in mobo?

Sorry if thats a bit badly put together im VERY new to this!

Thanks!
Did you ever figure out a solution? Thank you

Upvote 0
my buttkicker works through simhub but I wanted to be able to use my buttkicker for different kind of games too other than sim racing. I just bought a sound card from Amazon but I’m not sure if it will work with the onboard for all sounds and the 2nd sound card for whatever games

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing