DIY Wheel Design and Build

Hey everyone. I suppose this is a build log of sorts. I'm building this with the intentions of obviously using it but also to figure out what features I like, what I don't like, and what I think I might want on a rev2 wheel. I like options on my wheels so I have tried to incorporate as much as I can onto one wheel. Feel free to throw any comments/criticism into the comments section. I'm really pretty new to anything electrical/arduino so I'm nervous about that aspect working.

Here's a rundown of what I am using in this build:
3mm Carbon front plate
3D printed back housing
2.4" Nextion display
Various buttons/toggles
Custom made aluminum paddle shifters
3mm Carbon paddle shifter handles
320mm OMP wheel
Custom designed PCB with pin headers (would allow for changing up of buttons/toggles if desired)
Undecided on quick release

Ideas for the rev2:
Bodnar board
Clutch paddles
Potentially a machined housing or carbon back plates
Might make a more F1-esque style wheel as well

And now for some pictures
Not so great pictures of the layout being done in 2D CAD
YHgCVgi.jpg

3c3Zzqk.jpg

9mO5FrP.jpg

NMBj2Pr.jpg

RDfqmKR.jpg

Working on the PCB board. Here's where I'm wary of it actually working. If anyone has any concerns or suggestions for this Arduino setup, let me know. This is just a sketch because I'm much faster in 2D CAD than a PCB program. I'm going to attempt to use easyEDA unless someone has another idea. Additionally, each wire will have a 10k resistor wired in.
lbMbc5F.jpg

KclXVo8.jpg

yLcbHvX.png

43Hsizi.png

6j6hFFK.png

Upvote 0
Check a software called "Fritzing" for PCB layout. It's easy to learn, free and easy to handle. Much better than drawing it in cad since you have to export special files for manufacturing of a PCB, via, f.e., DirtyPCB.

Good Luck with the project, looks good so far.

PS. : maybe you could also check Fusion360 for 3D CAD... Also easy to learn and to handle and for hobby users free to use....

Upvote 0
Check a software called "Fritzing" for PCB layout. It's easy to learn, free and easy to handle. Much better than drawing it in cad since you have to export special files for manufacturing of a PCB, via, f.e., DirtyPCB.

Good Luck with the project, looks good so far.

PS. : maybe you could also check Fusion360 for 3D CAD... Also easy to learn and to handle and for hobby users free to use....
Hey, so I have SolidWorks for 3D which is where the above pictures came from. And doing the lines in 2D for the PCB was more for me to visually get a feeling on how to connect/layout all of the lines for the PCB to make sure they connect to the board. My concern is that I'm not totally sure that my MS Paint picture will allow each button to work. I think it will based on matrices I've seen others do online but because I am so new to Arduinos, i'm not 100% positive. As for that PCB program, I will definitely take a peep. EasyEDA seems a bit overwhelming to a newbie. Thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
OK, try Fritzing. It's really easy. It's pretty fun actually ;-)
If you have problems with it just post a quastion here.

Fusion 360 I just mentioned because it's proper modern CAD and it's free to use.
It could be, but I'm not sure, that they have also tools for PCB design in it.... But as I said, not sure.

Upvote 0
OK, try Fritzing. It's really easy. It's pretty fun actually ;-)
If you have problems with it just post a quastion here.

Fusion 360 I just mentioned because it's proper modern CAD and it's free to use.
It could be, but I'm not sure, that they have also tools for PCB design in it.... But as I said, not sure.
Solidworks has a program but it's an additional program that I don't have so that's why I'm looking elsewhere. Thanks for the info though. I'll check out Fritzing tonight.

Upvote 0
Just some pictures of the components I have. Still need a cable for the custom coiled USB cable. It's going to need to be 8 wire to account for the display and arduino. Then it'll end in two USB ends. Also need pin headers and connectors. The reason for this is ease of maintenance if a button fails but also because I could switch out toggles/buttons if I want since they won't be hard soldered to the board.
NeHlyqm.jpg

87tsyOJ.jpg

cjIHtSW.jpg

aEfWSv3.jpg

HOCDaM8.jpg

zhisJPx.jpg

VVRADK3.jpg

272nWGN.jpg

QhWDIA9.jpg

DtKReNW.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure that rim is the Chinese replica sold on Aliexpress and eBay. It's 33 cm, if I remember well. I've owned several of them and it's not bad for it's extremelly low price.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks! Just curiuos because, don't know why, but it looks like to be a bit smaller then "standard". )

It's 320mm. So I'd say standard. And yes, it's one of the replicas but my buddy had used one once and for their price, they're really solid. I have felt other eBay ones and you can twist them with your hands, but this one is stout.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing