Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP

DIY Pedal Build - Load Cell, Linear Pot & Clutch Cover

This provoked me to realize what is missing from throttle feel, namely inertia of linkage and throttle bodies. I added mass to free end of throttle pedal, for a subtle improvement.

Its actually NOT inertia, its friction. I started with a real MX-5 pedal assembly, and a standard linear spring. That didn't feel right, and the spring was too soft. But, with enough spring force, the pedal was too "snappy". I tried a bunch of different spring types and geometries, without much success. I then bought an old MX-5 throttle body, and connected it directly to the throttle with a short piece of cable. It still didn't feel right---not enough pressure, and too snappy on return. So, I bought a real MX-5 throttle cable, which just adds a bunch of drag. Voila. The friction requires more foot pressure to overcome, and adds resistance to slow the return spring.

Last edited:

blekenbleu

Premium
Its actually NOT inertia, its friction.
OK, adding inertia was enough so that G29 throttle feel at least no longer distracts me,
just as adding degressive linkage to its clutch made that no longer distracting,
although inauthentic feeling at launches.
Still fiddling with load cell brake, though...

Thanks for sharing your pedal build! I was just researching a clutch pedal build using a "real" clutch disk and found your post!

I'm going to go the hydraulic route and build my own clutch disk using a Harley diaphragm spring to keep the overall size down. But like the manual setup you built so I'm rolling that around in my head now instead :)

I'm wanting to replace the ramp/spring clutch I built and am currently using.

You might have already posted this but curious what POTs you are using? Currently, I'm using just cheap wiper pots and wanting to upgrade to hall effect.

Thanks again for sharing!

1230201042.png

Last edited:
The accelerator is detailed on the first page.

Many of the cheaper ones only have a life of under 100,000 cycles which I calculated wouldn't last that long. There are plenty around with long life but many are over £100. However I found a good range from Variohm Here for reasonable money. I bought mine from RS Components and went for a 50mm long version.
1591901704461.png

I used linear bearings to make a sliding carriage that would operate the transducer. As the linear transducer is quite delicate I wanted to ensure it didn't get any side loads.

The clutch is a rotary unit from Bodnar.

The loadcell is a cheap Chinese unit.