Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP

DIY lockdown project: Sequential Shifter on T300RS, PS4, playseat challenge

My final lockdown project after the bass shaker and handbrake was a proper sequential shifter.

I already had the TH8A shifter but i didn't want to keep changing it between H-pattern and sequential, plus there is no tactile 'clunk' in its sequential action.
Of course, the thrustmaster TSS would have been the obvious choice, but with the current virus situation i had the luxury of time but not money.

I used an automatic gear selector unit with a straight gate that i saw on Ebay, which came from a Kia. I figured why try and reinvent the mechanism when someone has already done it for me. I cut down the parts of the frame that i didn't need, and added springs and switches. I was lucky that the unit already came with a perfect detent feature for that satisfying clunk, at the desired throw (once the shaft was shortened a bit).
It's ended up with travel of about half an inch in either direction which feels good especially with a rock solid centre and a nice mechanical resistance.
I'm lucky that the T300RS has the wiring needed for an external shifter so didn't need any mods to the board, just extended those wires out to a panel plug on the side of the wheelbase case.

This project was a lot more complicated for me than the bass shaker and the handbrake but I'm pleased how it's ended up and it's made dirt rally a lot more fun. As a bonus, its come in at around £55 total.


Again here's the video of how i put it together. Any comments gratefully received. Since that photo, i have tweaked it a little but to remove two pieces that stuck out towards the wheel to give more clearance when using a larger rim (i like to use the rim from the T500RS without the paddles if i'm using the sequential)