DIY lockdown project: handbrake mod on T300RS and playseat challenge

My second lockdown project after the bass shaker, and in honour of getting dirt 2.0 as a freebie on PS4 I wanted to get a handbrake as i didn't like pressing a button on the wheel face.

I wanted a thrustmaster TSS but couldn't justify the price, plus if i wanted a handbrake and sequential shifter, I'd need two at £230 each!

I used a handbrake from a car (VW golf) and simply put a spring on the rod where the cables would normally attach. I used the stock handbrake switch and wired this into the R3 button wiring via a panel plug through the side of the wheelbase. Total cost around £30.

Installed very simply on the playseat frame with a couple u bolts into a wooden block, and the handbrake mounted onto a 3mm steel plate - i might change the wooden block out for a metal plate in the near future to see if it reduces the small amount of play (the wooden block is a little too soft)

MjYoDktp.jpg

Here's the vid i did on this

It works as well as can be hoped for with a digital (on/off) handbrake. The stock switch operation means that it registers at slightly under 1 inch of lever travel which means it's got quite a nice response.

This is my first attempt, if i do it again I'll look for another part with a smaller footprint, that's really the only thing that i want to improve. Would be keen to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Cheers
John

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back