diy handbrake

hi all been a while since ive been sim racing but getting back into it now, my idea is to build a handbrake for my rig. My idea is to simply use a pedal off of a set of t3pa pros and attach some sort of handbrake lever to it, then mount to the rig. In my head it sounds like a good plan....... just wondering if anyone has done something similar? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks james...

I wanted a super cheap handbrake mostly just to use for fun in AMS so I bought a new Citroen handbrake mechanism off ebay for £12 delivered, ground off the ratchet and attached a couple of springs.

Initially I was going to mount a pot to it to make it analogue but never got around to it so decided in the end just to use the existing handbrake warning light switch which means it is just digital off/on.

I already had a bodnar controller that I use with my pedals to connect it to but you could just buy a £5 usb joystick and use the guts from that or a cheap Arduino/Teensy if you are familiar with those.

http://www.kevinpeat.com/sim_racing_handbrake.html

Upvote 0
thanks for your reply, sounds like a great cheap alternative.
Maybe i shouldnt be butchering a set of t3pa pedals...... but i would like to go the analogue route, now looking at a load cell ... have looked at the diy hydraulic handbrakes but it seems a lot of work ..

Upvote 0
I have a load cell brake on my diy pedals. Load cells don't have any deflection so to have decent movement in the handbrake lever you'd need to make a linkage and have a spring (or hydraulics) pressing on the load cell. You also need a load cell controller. Not too hard but more work.

I'm not convinced by the value of hydraulics in simracing peripherals. They look cool but as hydraulic fluid is non-compressible I don't really see what the point is compared to a sturdy mechanical linkage.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back