DIY G-Seat - 6 Belt Tensioners

I'm selling my GS-5, after building a custom seat. The GS-5 is pretty great, so naturally the question came up... what's so great about the new seat that you'd sell your GS-5?

The new seat is basically a 6-direction belt tensioner. You get front, back, left, right, up, and down. Sustained pull of about 40 lbs (I think - I forget what I settled on for mechanical advantage and motor torque soft limit), while at the same time being responsive enough to reproduce small vibrations up to around 200 Hz.

Putting it on takes slightly more time than a 5-point harness. Four belts to snap together, one pair to slip over your shoulders, and one you just sit back against.

front.jpg

(More pictures attached)

How does it work?

Six servo motors running in torque mode, mounted to a custom housing that spools up the tension rope - similar to how a direct-drive belt tensioner works. The spool diameter gives control over speed vs pull force, and the servos are also software-limited to a maximum torque to prevent overheating them (and secondarily for safety).

A microcontroller running custom firmware commands the torque setting for the servos. Knowing the spool and rope diameters, an estimate of friction, and the servo max torque settings, you can easily command the tensioners to produce a specific force amount for the user.

I also have custom telemetry processing software running on my PC and talking to the games to convert telemetry into force settings. I've found that just using the car's local coordinate frame acceleration produces great results, but I can also mix in other effects.

The tension ropes run through custom idler pulleys, which lets them go around corners without rubbing, keeps friction low (important later), and keeps the ropes in a constrained location (so they don't fall off when slack). These ropes then connect to 2" webbing (seat belt material) and to a pair of 1" shoulder loops (downward pull direction).

Low friction on the rope path is important. You need to keep the ropes always tensioned a small amount - any slack in them will reduce response time, the ability to reproduce small vibrations, and introduce a "dead zone" when transitioning e.g. from left to right belt tensioned. The more friction on the rope path, the more baseline torque you need to apply, and the less dynamic range you have to reproduce effects. Also, the more friction (and the more baseline torque), the less inclined the belts are to "relax" when the opposite belt is engaged - leading to a feeling that the belts just keep getting tighter and tighter, but never releasing.

How does it feel?

In a turn, the left/right belts can pin you to the left/right of your seat, while still also feeling the small twitches of traction, steering adjustments, throttle adjustments, and road surface. Note that the belts simulate the pressure on your body of the car's seat belt or seat, just like a regular belt tensioner, so the direction of tension is opposite that of acceleration.

Accelerating and braking, the front/back belts really show off the high-frequency ability of the servo + custom firmware/software stack. If you bounce off the redline, you can feel the belts twitching due to the small variations in acceleration. Likewise, you can feel your tires slipping as slight twitches in the belts, whether braking (front belt) or accelerating (back belt). You get this at the same time as the larger acceleration / deceleration pin-you-to-your-seat effect.

Up/down belts essentially provide road bump detail and a heave effect on hills.

Kerbs / rumble strips can be felt even at high speeds, thanks to the responsiveness of the system. Which belt you primarily feel them on depends on whether you're cornering or driving straight at the time you hit them.

It's also basically silent. The servos are high-quality and don't produce any sort of high-pitch whine, and there aren't any mechanical parts to make noise.

What could be better?

I'd say the quality of the effect in the left/right directions is "excellent", in the front/back directions is "good", and in the up/down directions is "fair/OK". Mostly each direction is able to reproduce the same effects, so it comes down more to how effectively I was able to place the belts, which is more difficult in the up/down directions.

The belt which pulls you back into the seat needs a slightly different rope path. Right now, the belt loops around your chest, attaches to a Y-shaped set of ropes, and runs through the center of the seat back. This pinches your ribs at high force levels, so I'd like to move the "Y" connection to the rear side of the seat back, and let the rope pass through a pair of holes in the seat.

The downward-pulling shoulder loops work OK, but ideally you'd have that force spread over part of your torso, too. Maybe integrating the belts into a vest would help with this, in addition to making it easier to put the whole thing on.

The upward-pulling belt still needs some work - I'm not satisfied with it - it tends to slip up your back a bit at an angle, instead of providing a true upward pull at your butt/thighs. Again, this has me thinking I need to design a vest system to integrate the belts.

The rope spools need a stronger connection to the motor shaft. They can slip at higher torques. I've partially solved this by drilling through them (and the motor shaft) and inserting spring pins, but I'll integrate something into the design next time. This is partly due to the spools being plastic, too, so I couldn't adhere them as well as a normal shaft-pulley setup.

I'd like to redesign the motor mount and spool enclosure, to make them easier to service. You have to take the entire thing apart to replace the ropes or move it to a different location.

I'd like to swap the low-stretch rope I'm using for Vectran. Supposedly it is stronger, which means I can use slightly narrower rope and smaller pulleys. It's also even lower stretch, which means the rope can transmit more fine vibration details.

Comparison to my GS-5

I only had the base GS-5, not the belt tensioner add-on. I've heard great things about the combination of the two, and I was also fairly pleased with my GS-5 by itself. I did try some non-destructive modifications to my GS-5:
  1. 5-point harness to hold you against the paddles. I rarely used it, because it took a bit to put on and I'd inevitably forget something that'd require me to take it all off so I could get out of the seat again... But it did work, when I could be bothered to use it. I think the GS-5's belt tensioner system would be a huge improvement over this in all ways...
  2. Tactile transducers - LFEs on the left and right mounted to "wings", an LFE hanging off the rear bottom, and a Clark hanging off the upper seat back. This is an effective way to get vibration effects, and I was happy with it, but it requires extra tuning, of course. I was able to use existing mounting points on the seat, with some work.
  3. Removed the seat cover and foam padding, adhered hard, hand-shaped foam blocks to the paddles, and sat directly on those. This greatly improved the "squeezing" effect to the left and right, and I highly recommend it. It's a great way to make the left/right effects as pronounced as the back-only effects, and it improves your ability to feel vibration effects.
  4. Custom telemetry software... I already have my own software for controlling my motion platform, tactile transducers, etc. which I'm quite proud of, and I was able to connect my software directly to the GS-5 with some magic. For my personal use, I would say this was a big improvement for me, in terms of being able to choose the exact effects I wanted, add in vibration effects, determine how telemetry gets interpreted, etc.
I could've stuck with my GS-5 and added the associated belt tensioner system. This would've given me front, back, left-ish, right-ish, and up. "Down" with a paddle system is handled indirectly by the "up" paddles going as far in the opposite direction as they can. I've heard great things about this combination, and it more or less has the important stuff covered.

Why design my own?
  1. I like the challenge - my sim racing hobby has turned into more of a hobby interest in electronics, mechanics, robotics, etc. and I'm getting less interested in the driving. The driving is an awesome excuse and a great way to test it all out :)
  2. I wanted strong left/right forces - the GS-5 kind of gives you left/right indirectly, by squeezing you at a bit of a diagonal direction. It works, but I wanted to try a different approach. My design can really pull and/or squeeze you, quite a bit.
  3. The GS-5 is way too noisy for my tastes, especially when reproducing higher-frequency effects.
  4. The GS-5 struggles with high-frequency effects. I'll give it some credit - I was actually quite surprised how fast it could go for small movements - but the stepper motors get very noisy, cap out at around... I forget, maybe 80 Hz... and lose a lot of their torque at high speed (leading to the paddles slipping).
  5. I'd like more direct control over the amount of force. Paddles and (most) belt tensioners approximate this by setting a target travel position, not by directly controlling the amount of applied force.
In particular with #4, I have a goal of removing the tactile transducers on my cockpit. I know from experience that servos are capable of high-frequency effects (200Hz+, just like a tactile unit), if they are paired with a suitable microcontroller and software stack to feed them. (I have made this modification to my motion platform and it's impressive what they can do). Having left/right/up/down/front/back tactile directly connected to you, as opposed to getting muddled up in your cockpit's frame, makes for a big improvement in spatial fidelity.

I'm very pleased with the results, though up/down needs a bit of work on the belt arrangement. It pulls and squeezes hard - you can fight back, but it's quite difficult at full strength. Tactile effects are fantastic, and that's with just using the raw acceleration data (no canned effects, though I could add them). The amount of detail coming through the telemetry exceeded my expectations. I think I did well on the "why?" design bullet points above.

Materials

Seat panels are laser-cut aluminum. Frame is Misumi aluminum extrusion. Rope (low-stretch polyester) and servos (Teknic ClearPath) are linked above.

Webbing and webbing hardware are from McMaster-Carr, and I sewed it together with heavy-duty sailmaker's needles, a "palm" to protect my hand, and pliers to pull the needle through when it got stuck. A heat gun is handy to clean up the ends of the webbing and prevent fraying.

Idlers are 3D printed, with a pair of ball bearings and a shoulder bolt as a rotary shaft. I probably could've done these cheaper and stronger with bent sheet metal, but the Nylon is also nice as it's relatively low friction and won't damage the rope.

Rope spools are 3D printed and pressed onto an aluminum shaft with an arbor press (but as mentioned, this turned out to not have enough holding force), and the shaft is then connected to the servo with a flex coupling. The shaft is supported on both ends by ball bearings, otherwise the radial forces would damage the servo.

The servo mount and spool enclosure is 3D printed with heat-set threaded inserts.

The armrest uses a pair of 3D printed brackets.

Those are all SLS 3D printed Nylon, which is an awesome process (very few design restrictions, no supports, fairly accurate)... but it's also a bit pricey for larger parts, the lead times could be better, and it's not as strong as metal (if you let metal parts of the belt assembly crash into the idlers, they can break).

The seat panels also have a couple SLS 3D-printed plain bearing surfaces to let the ropes pass through without fraying - these are from IGUS's print service.

The microcontroller is an STM32 with a 480 MHz ARM Cortex M7. I put it into a custom board that has connectors for 17 servos total and also controls my motion platform, but you could also grab a $20 Nucleo-144 dev board (specifically one with a stm32h743 chip) and hook up the wires the hard way.

Price for the components, as I built it, is probably a bit more than a GS-5 + belt tensioner add-on. So, it's not a bargain DIY. Mostly the servos push up the price quite a bit.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG-7433.jpg
    IMG-7433.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG-7434.jpg
    IMG-7434.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
This is the first time that I read about a back belt for acceleration feel.
I do not identify it in the images...?
Is it at arm rest height?
Does 2" webbing noticeably concentrate acceleration force?

It's hard to see, but the 3 horizontal idler pulleys on each armrest (not the one on top of the armrests) connect to a belt which you lean back against at your mid-back height. It's slack in the picture, so it's just hiding in the jumble of belts. This belt is the easiest one to put on, because you just lean back against it and make sure you're not sitting on top of it. There's two more idlers on the back side of the seat which redirect the ropes to a Y connection, and from there to the bottom-most servo on the seatback.

The 2" webbing feels OK, it doesn't feel particularly pinched or concentrated, though I do think 3-4" would be an easy improvement. Ideally the more parts of your body, the better, but you've got to balance it vs ease of putting on and ability to run the tension ropes and keep them uniformly tight (one servo probably can't tighten multiple areas of your body without one area getting slack or overly tight).

Getting the belts arranged such that they don't pinch you, concentrate the force in a weird spot, or pull at an angle is definitely something that needs attention in this setup. For example, the deceleration belt pinches my ribs uncomfortably when it's really pulling, because the rope path narrows to a single point right behind you, and I need to change that. Likewise, the up/down belts are pretty tricky and I could see trying out a couple more iterations there.

Edit - to elaborate on 2" webbing - I'd make the back belt wider. I would probably leave the left/right and braking belts at 2". Wider might be slightly better, but they feel fine to me at 2", and with wider belts you would have trouble running them next to each other. Those three belts need to occupy roughly the same space across your chest and ribs, so you can't fit too wide of a belt in there without running out of room.

Last edited:
Fun to see some new ideas! Can you show us a video of it working? I'm still kind of confused on how it works.
I don't have everything set up at the moment and I can't seem to find any old videos... but here's a video of me manually actuating the left belt:

In practice it is silent, the noise is just from me lifting it up and it rubbing against the top of the idler pulley frame.

So, the rope twists around the orange pulley you can see at the end. The motor is always attempting to wind it around that, usually very gently (to maintain pre-tension and keep the rope from going slack), but it can pull up to about 40 lbf sustained and do so quite fast.

When the motor is just pre-tensioning, it's easy for you to unwind the rope simply by sitting upright. When it's pulling at full force, it's very difficult to overcome the motor - unless you're trying very hard, it will pin you against the left side of the seat and apply a significant amount of pressure to your right side via the belt.

Vibration and tactile effects are felt as small variations in how hard the motor is pulling, which in turn is felt as small variations in pressure on your body through the belt.

Thanks for sharing what you have so far!

I once made a fabric vest and sewed loops through the sides to test sway effects. I hooked up ropes to a crank arm motor on each side and had it pull me into the side of the seat. I really didn't like the feeling I got from a fabric vest. I felt like my torso was mostly being squeezed into an oval (pressure front and back) rather than pressure on my sides like sway should give. My conclusion was that the body is too squishy to accomplish what I wanted with fabric and straps (I then tried a rigid fiberglass vest that I didn't like either).
From your description of how you like the force, you seem to have succeeded where I failed.
I am super interested to see a video of it working on your body when you get it all together. No rush!

Custom telemetry software... I already have my own software for controlling my motion platform, tactile transducers, etc. which I'm quite proud of, and I was able to connect my software directly to the GS-5 with some magic. For my personal use, I would say this was a big improvement for me, in terms of being able to choose the exact effects I wanted, add in vibration effects, determine how telemetry gets interpreted, etc.

Really cool project!

Though the bit I've highlighted jumped out at me. You managed to get your GS-5 to work without Sim Commander!? I've got a GS-4 and G-Belt, would it work for them too? And if so is it available to buy? I love Simxperience's hardware, it really is fantastic, I just have so many problems with Sim Commander. If there's an alternative that would be amazing.

Really cool project!

Though the bit I've highlighted jumped out at me. You managed to get your GS-5 to work without Sim Commander!? I've got a GS-4 and G-Belt, would it work for them too? And if so is it available to buy? I love Simxperience's hardware, it really is fantastic, I just have so many problems with Sim Commander. If there's an alternative that would be amazing.
+1000 this simcommander sucks... Id' love to use something else as well!

Thanks for sharing what you have so far!

I once made a fabric vest and sewed loops through the sides to test sway effects. I hooked up ropes to a crank arm motor on each side and had it pull me into the side of the seat. I really didn't like the feeling I got from a fabric vest. I felt like my torso was mostly being squeezed into an oval (pressure front and back) rather than pressure on my sides like sway should give. My conclusion was that the body is too squishy to accomplish what I wanted with fabric and straps (I then tried a rigid fiberglass vest that I didn't like either).
From your description of how you like the force, you seem to have succeeded where I failed.
I am super interested to see a video of it working on your body when you get it all together. No rush!
Yeah, if you're not careful about where the belt ends and the ropes begin, and the path of the ropes, it will want to squeeze you. I still have this problem a bit with the belt that pulls you backward - the ropes narrow to a single point too close behind you and it pinches your sides. I need to keep it as two separate ropes for a further distance and combine them somewhere behind the seatback.

I had a similar, but slightly different problem at first - my first design didn't have the idler pulleys to guide the ropes. The increased friction made it difficult for the belts to naturally "relax", and all it would ever do was get tighter and tighter, never loosening, which became pretty uncomfortable after a couple hard corners.

Really cool project!

I don't think I could sell it (or that I'd want to), and it's not very user-friendly (you can't tune it to your preferences easily). Plus there may be some issues with it being proprietary and them only wanting SimCommander to talk to the GS-5 that I don't really want to mess with.

If someone else with the technical ability feels more game to try it, the protocol is easy enough to figure out - it's just a serial port, which any software can talk to, and it's easy enough to monitor what your computer is sending across a serial port. I'd be happy to share my notes. Maybe some other existing telemetry software might be interested in adding support.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%