DIY Ferrari 2011 Wheel

At this point in time I'm in the research phase for my future DIY project. I have never done anything like this, and I'm certainly no handy man. You think this sounds weird? Wait till you read what I want to do...

In short, this is what I want to build:
Ferrari-Replica-Steering-Wheel.jpg

Features:
Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro
Shifter paddles
Clutch paddles
Hall effect sensors for clutch (Allegro A1302)
Microswitches for shifters (???)
12 rotary switches
3 regular switches
10 (knitter) pushbuttons (only if I can strike a deal)
Quick release
2 layers of Carbon fibre shell
glass fibre cast
rubber grips

I will create my own CAD drawings, guestimating measurements, with the help from some known sizes, and my own 3d model made for my 3D portfolio.

Estimated cost: €450,-

Yes, this might seem way out of my league for someone who has no experience with this stuff at all. Because it is. But I'm a stubborn bastard and I would love to do this. There isn't a single product on the market which suits me for an affordable price. Buying a Thrustmaster and adjusting that still sucks, since thats costs about 500 without the SLI-Pro and buttons added, and it basically is a plastic toy still..

For now, I have the following questions:
- According to Bodnars' website, the hall effect sensor can be connected directly to the SLI-pro, is this true?
- Is it expensive to have moulds routed/cnc-ed?
- Which microswitches for the shifters? What about the mounting, no idea how just yet.
- Is the quick release worth my money?
- Is it possible to route all wires through the steering wheel/colum into the steering wheel base?
- I will be in the market for a new steering wheel base, Im still using an old Momo Racing. second hand g27?

Any feedback, opinion, help etc, is much appreciated.

edit:
Before I forget, any plans, templates, files I create, will be free to use by the community :) Im just not responsible for any mistakes in them :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally some good news! After two weeks of sanding and filling, the mold came off the plug in a pretty loud pop this morning :) Now I know for a fact what was causing the mold to fail last time and how to solve it, it's back to the rear panel :) This will be cleaned and polished at a later stage, right now my priority is to get these molds done :)
vzhnr7.jpg

Upvote 0
A small leap in the project again, as I came home today I found this small packageat my doorstep which contained the following:
ofbm2v.jpg

4q28ti.jpg

Uhuh, that's right, the brand spanking new Simrace F1 from the guys over at simdisplay.net! Big thanks to Nace from Simdisplay and Zappadoc from EKSimracing for the opportunity to be one of the first people to give this product a test before it's going fully public!

The pictures dont do the hardware justice, it looks and feels great and as you can tell from the above picture, it's almost an exact fit to what I have built so far myself!

I'll be tinkering with this along side building the rear mold, I'm still preparing the plug and it's going pretty well actually, only taking long. This however does boost morale quite a lot ;)

Upvote 0
Hi William! Thanks for sharing your work! I was following your same path... building a DIY cockpit and then a steering wheel... I didn't particularly like the Ferrari one although I'm Italian... My target was to build a replica of the Lotus 2012 steering wheel... really cool model!!! But budget was the big problem! You've opened my mind! The whole process would be similar to yours and, thinking that for around € 900 you can have a top line Fanatec, simply the game isn't worth the candle. I still share with you the fascinating challenge from an esthetical and engineering point of view... I still think it is possible to achieve something good finding the right balance between esthetics, functionality and budget... I also think that when the Oculus Rift will be out for consumers (and it'll have something like an ocular movement sensor) all we're going to need will be a functional steering wheel... No more expensive displays... A good controller will do the job!

So what I'm going to do is a low budget project starting from a G27, implementing the really useful functions needed while playing... Being my first mod it'll be good for me...

Thanks again for this thread!!!

Upvote 0
It's not very cost effective if you need to find out everything the hard way and are on a budget.. It sucks bit that's life, money doesn't grow on trees :p

Didn't like driving with the Rift, too weird and not being able to see your own wheel and button boxes, keyboard, beer, nah, it's not for me.

You're welcome, I just wish the outcome would have been different!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 47 6.2%
  • < 5 years