DIY dash indicator

The video below is very crappy quality but I worked on this last night. Still testing and what not but I do have it up and running.

It is quite easy to do. Potential issues are:
1) Placing the TM1638 library in the correct folder
2) Putting the wires into the correct slot

The rFactor1 plugin also works with GSC which I'm very happy about

Upvote 0
I finally assembled mine today.
It had been spread out over my work bench for the last few days.
There are several differences in hardware and Arduino sketch pin out designations.... depending on who's instructions you use,
Bottom line: If you use Rich's wiring layout...use Rich's Arduino sketch.
  1. Pin7 & Pin9 are inverted between Rich's sketch and those found at batrako-blogspot.
    Pin9 is also switched to STB0 in Rich's wiring as opposed to STB1 at batrako-blogspot.
    If you decide to assembled it, you'll need to fully load rFactor (i.e...Your car ontrack).
    Once there, you need to turn on the display by either pressing button S7 (On/Fuel) or S8 (On/Gear+Speed).
    S1 turns off the display when on track only.
  2. Power and ground are the same for either diagram, regardless of if you use Rich's (Pitlanes) or Ivan's (blogspot).
    The connections which I found to work for the dash released by Ivan...
    Pin#7 from Arduino must attach to pin STB0 at the display.
    Pin#8 from Arduino must attach to pin DI0 at the display.
    Pin#9 from Arduino must attach to pin CLK at the display.

It worked perfectly for me in Rfactor and AC.
    It still needs a new plugin for any version of RF2 using 64 bit.
    I've yet to get it working in PCARS, which is not a big deal as I hardly use that game.
  3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f02gmg5rhd...49%5B1%5D.AVI#

Upvote 0
Did some work on those parts to make a nice box out of it.
Put the boards close together and connected new buttons to it.
Quite happy with the result.

diyfront.jpg
diy2.jpg

Upvote 0
After I received my F1 wheel for the T500 I wanted to install the display inside ,like the proper sli.
With the help of a friend(pro) we did it and the result is pretty good
wheel3.jpg

wheel2.JPG

He desolder everything from the tm1638 pcb ,we cut the wheel for the display and drilled the holes for the leds.
I used a cheap arduino nano clone and the total cost including the TM1638 and some 3mm leds was less than 10€.
To cover the 10 cm length for the leds strip I use 16 led and they light in pair(2 at a time), you have to know for noticing it.
On top of the display and to cover the "not perfect cut" to the wheel I put a smoked acrylic glass(I'm waiting a darker one). Also a potentiometer to the rear controls the leds intensity.
Everything is inside the wheel and it connects to pc via a spiral usb cable
Ok, it's not the real deal(sli-pro), but it gets the job done.

btw this is my other box version for use with the GT wheel
box.jpg

box2.jpg

Upvote 0
@Brian McManus As far as I know you can't use this as a button box (you can simply use an old joypad for your DIY button box, it's easier and no need of an Arduino) but I'm totally noob when comes to programming, so maybe someone who knows can help you.
As for the box for the enclosure, it's just a plastic box (12 x 7 x 3.5 cm) I bought from my local electronic shop and I put a carbon sticker and a smoked acrylic glass. Everything are inside, but I had to desolder most of the parts and to wired them again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply it says on the specs that there is 14 inputs and outpus.
So i could connect buttons and outputs or leds.
You can connect 6 analogues as well.
I want to use the audrino to run a display as well.

Cool i will pick a box locally to make my button box.
I have some carbon wrap.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Did some work on those parts to make a nice box out of it.
Put the boards close together and connected new buttons to it.
Quite happy with the result.

View attachment 61069 View attachment 61070

Hi Richard

I'm quite curious how you did those buttons. I'm planning to try one myself so was wondering if you could help me.

I can think of two ways to work the button. One would be to use the button to trigger a message to the computer via the serial port of the arduino.

The other way would be to use a teensy as a joystick, and emulate the buttons of a joystick.

Did you happen to do it via one of these two ways? Or is there another method that I'm not seeing?

Thank you.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Hi
I finally got everything needed for this display and set it up. But for some reason I can't seem to get the display to work after I followed your instructions and pitlanes. I have tried different configs for the wires and different sketches and still doesn't work. I have a red light on the power led and a flashing red light on the arduino board. Is there any way to test to see if the display is any good? Incase I have a dodgy display.

Upvote 0
Hi
I finally got everything needed for this display and set it up. But for some reason I can't seem to get the display to work after I followed your instructions and pitlanes. I have tried different configs for the wires and different sketches and still doesn't work. I have a red light on the power led and a flashing red light on the arduino board. Is there any way to test to see if the display is any good? Incase I have a dodgy display.
You uploaded the code properly to the board ?
Can be the pinlayout is not properly set in the sketches code.
That was what happened to me.
Tonight i have some more time, i get back on it to help you out.

Upvote 0
Thank you no real rush as I can't do anything till Monday evenihg as I am away but help would be much appreciated thank you.
I think that I have uploaded it properly but I'm new to arduino boards and this sort of thing so I might have messed it up somehow

Upvote 0
This pic (it's not mine but I find it useful and I kept it) maybe help you to check your pins.
tm_1638pins.jpg

On the TM1638 side the pins are standards, but on the Arduino side they should match what the sketch use. As you can see in this photo Data pin=8, Clock pin=7 and Strobe pin=9

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing