DIY Corvette C7.R GTE style steering wheel (Complete)

Hi guys. After building Coswroth MK2 (LMP2) steering wheel, I received an order to make Corvette C7.R GTE style steering wheel. And I want to share my work before sending it all the way to Australia. As per usual, here are some pictures of the completed wheel rim. The rim consists of two main Aluminium plates and some 3D printed parts for grips, encoder knobs and side covers.

In these pictures, my original quick release (not actually quick but solid) system is attached. The mounting hole pattern for this wheel is set to match Fanatec Quick Release Adapter.

Feel free to contact me for data (for 3D printing and laser cut) or complete wheel.
email: taichisteering*gmail.com (please change * to @)

IMG_8027.JPG
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8029.JPG
IMG_8031.JPG

The first step is always to design on 3DCAD. Here is the rendering of the wheel. I discussed with the customer about preferences of swtch and quick release. (two push switches in real life are replaced with toggle switches in order to navigate in game HUD)
Assembly_v25.png

Then, I ordered Aluminium plates.
IMG_7750.JPG

I was going to order 3D printed parts this time too but I though it would be handy if I have one in my room so I bought Creality Ender 3. All 3D printed parts are sanded and painted many times anyway and it did the job perfectly although it is not highend super machine. After setting up the printer carefully it could handle tiny/complicated parts.

Upvote 0
My original plan was to use ProMicro for buttons. However, I realised it would not work with CTS288 rotary encoders. As I hate the light touch of cheap ones, I decided to go for Leo Bodnar's BU0836A which works with CTS288 encoders.
IMG_8019.JPG

I took this picture before noticing two wrong wirings...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back