Disappointed with my hardware upgrade

I have built a new computer and I do not see a big improvement in performance in AC. I have changed from a i7 4790K + 1080Ti + slow ram to a i7 10700KF + 1080Ti + 3600 mhz ram. I'm running Oculus Rift S with CPS and SOL and I keeo my game as it was, configured with more or less high detail settings. I have changed my supersampling from 1 to 1.3, which now gives me a sharper image. The rest of my config is the same. I have tried several tracks with an without cars and the fps counter is 80 fps rock solid, but it also was with my old computer. At night, the fps keep on falling to 40. If I add many cars to a race, the fps fall to 40. Same, if I load a poorly optimized track, such as Rio (constant 40). I thought the CPU and RAM change would mean a important gain of fps, but no way. Maybe my old graphic card is limiting the performance with VR?

Last edited:
I have built a new computer and I do not see a big improvement in performance in AC. I have changed from a i7 4790K + 1080Ti + slow ram to a i7 10700KF + 1080Ti + 3600 mhz ram. I'm running Oculus Rift S with CPS and SOL and I keeo my game as it was, configured with more or less high detail settings. I have changed my supersampling from 1 to 1.3, which now gives me a sharper image. The rest of my config is the same. I have tried several tracks with an without cars and the fps counter is 80 fps rock solid, but it also was with my old computer. At night, the fps keep on falling to 40. If I add many cars to a race, the fps fall to 40. Same, if I load a poorly optimized track, such as Rio (constant 40). I thought the CPU and RAM change would mean a important gain of fps, but no way. Maybe my old graphic card is limiting the performance with VR?
Several apps out there you can use to measure where your bottleneck is

I did a quick check last night comparing ACC and AC with overclocking on and off.

Stock = 4.7Ghz all cores, memory at 3200mhz
OC = 5Ghz all cores, memory at 3600mhz

There was no difference in framerate.

It's worth nothing my GPU was running 100% throughout during both tests so I guess that is my limiting factor. My overall CPU usage was only 17% which is probably misleading as that's based on all threads. I expect one or two cores were running a lot higher but hard to determone

I use MSI Afterburner and display GPU and CPU usage in the top corner whilst gaming.

I suspect your GPU is limiting everything as was the case with your old build or perhaps your old build was a balanced build for the time.

You say you have enabled super sampling so you are effectively running higher resolution than Oculus native res. I think running higher res puts more load on your GPU. You are probably in a good place with CPU and memory for when you get a GPU upgrade.

If you want to tax your CPU perhaps you need to run lower resolution but that then defeats your objective for nice visuals.

As an example, I have 9900k, 3200Mhz RAM and RTX3080. I get 95 - 100FPS in AC with CSP and SOL at 1.3x super sampling of my native 1440p monitor (I think the selected resolution in game is 3418x1920).

i think I have most CSP things turned on.

I f i just run vanilla AC I think I get 160fps plus from memory.

You may be right. However, now it's not a good moment for a GPU upgrade. At least I can say that now the rest of my computer is ready for when that moment comes (luckly in a year or two). I wanted a 3070, but I don't see the logic in replacing my GPU with a model that has less memory than my current card. So, a 3080 would be the best choice, or a 3070ti, if it's ever released, with extra ram.

Last edited:
The thing is, the 1080Ti is a pretty good GPU. To get more performance right now that is a worthwhile upgrade you need to go to a 3080 otherwise it's not worth the expense. A 2080Ti is only about 30% more powerful than what you have. A 3080 is about 50% more powerful than yours.

Perhaps by end of year there maybe some let up in the GPU famine.

Right now it seems absolutely **** for buying a new GPU, let alone the used prices.

Last edited:
You may be right. However, now it's not a good moment for a GPU upgrade. At least I can say that now the rest of my computer is ready for when that moment comes (luckly in a year or two). I wanted a 3070, but I don't see the logic in replacing my GPU with a model that has less memory than my current card. So, a 3080 would be the best choice, or a 3070ti, if it's ever released, with extra ram.
There's logic in the 8gb is GDDR6 being faster than the 11gb GDDR5... not always about quantity.

Right now it seems absolutely **** for buying a new GPU, let alone used scalping.
I lucked out and was able to walk into a store and grab a 3070 off the shelve a month ago... but yeah, with GDDR6 shortages, and goddamn miners getting around nvidia's joke of a mining lock, it doesnt look good

If you are on a newer version of the NVIDIA driver, remember to turn of all monitoring software like afterburner, FPSVR etc, as there is still that known bug out there. as you're on the 1080 you can go for an older driver before the problem

and of course, bad mods are twice as bad in VR. (Like Rio, which need alot more optimizing, i have problems even on my 3080 in VR)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing