Disabled guy looking to get into sim racing

hi i am anthony ... i am a wheelchair user due to the disability spina bifida(which i have no use of legs) i am looking for a way round to use a wheel (cant afford a g27/25) so my question is which wheel is good for me i have a few in mind but i dunno if they are suitable they are http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guillemot...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item541b863bb9
and http://www.scan.co.uk/products/spee...dback-effect-usb-pc-racing-wheel-black-orange
also my other question is is there anyway i can re-map the buttons for say accelerator and still be able to use the shifter on these wheels ??

any help would be greatly apreciated as i feel a little left out

also was locked out of my account forgot password lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Anthony. How about something like the SteelSeries Simraceway SRW-S1. All controls are hand driven so no pedals required. Don't bother paying full price for it as its always around much cheaper than MSRP.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SteelSeri...13?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item5d565871d5

There are also desk clamps available such as this one which could possibly be mounted to a wheelchair mounting plate or a wheelchair keyboard tray http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simracewa...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234f012eb7

The SRW-S1 is often modded to fit onto the Logitech G25/G27 (possibly others) so if you'd prefer a dedicated wheelbase rather than a clamp the options are there although I'm not sure if the Logitech FFB works in that mode.

Vid of a guy reviewing it

I think you just have two options with analog shifters: the Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Racing Wheel and the SteelSeries SimRaceway SRW-S1 (without ffb and totaly diferent concept).

Hope someone can help you more because that's what I found with Analog Shifter (for you to use as throtle and brake)

edit: @Juris beat me by seconds... :S

Stay way from that wheel... I think you might regret about it in the near future. One of the features i notice for giving you this advice is the way it gets clamped to the table... Go check if you can find any used Thrustmaster RGT. You might get it by 40$ and it is at least a brand that give you some guarantees.

Edit: In the feature list it says "suction cups for ultimate stability"...... Really!?

I say go for Thrustmaster...and of course you can change any button as you see fit...You can put acceleration and brake on the padles (used for gear change by default) and gear up/down on the top red buttons and use the big thumbs

In the future as budget allows there is possibility for moving throttle and brake over to a hand control using parts from a pedal unit.

I forget the details now but not all that long ago a video was circulating of a disabled man with what I seem to recall as a white nissan 240? Not really sure. His car was built for drifting. Could have sworn his car had a reasonable sized V8, sequential manual transmission, the throttle and brake were controlled by a single stalk mounted to the steering column(that also had shifting buttons)... I think. and of course the handbrake was hooked up to his clutch and such.

It was pretty cool and while entirely custom, I think some throttle&brake inspiration can be taken. Right about now a picture would be worth one thousand words. heh.
IIRC pushing the stalk forward engaged the brakes, and pushing it down was throttle? It allowed you to mix the inputs and would be great for sim racing in your situation I think.
I am sorry, I just cannot remember these details more clearly.

bit the bullet and baught the steel series (with the desk attachment.... got it very cheap off of amazon
I was thinking the same thing. After my back surgery I was between wheels and purchased the SRW-S1 - works pretty good, much better than a gamepad for fine control. There are paddles for shifting and throttle/brake. I still use occasionally when I switch from my triple screen setup and TX wheel to a larger single screen (same room, but at my desk).
upload_2015-4-23_12-26-32.png

upload_2015-4-23_12-26-42.png

An alternative to wheel control is looking into the future. We will start using joysticks very soon. If you still want separate throttle and brake control you could use a hotas setup.

As for SRW S1s I got four of them. The best button boxes ever good with backups :D They do work quite well. Some have modded them on G27s. That give you ffb. Now it seems like the SRW S1s do have trouble tolerating that abuse though.

Just for anyone else who is or wants to be a gamer/simmer (or if you know someone) and is differently abled who has found it difficult to find a way to play take a quick look at this. We're not all born identical but it shouldn't prevent you doing something you enjoy. Racing on NFS using just head movement via a Kinect V1.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 152 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.8%