DiRT Rally DiRT Rally out on Steam Early Access

Codemasters has surprised everyone with today's launch of Dirt Rally on Steam, under the Early Access label.

Judging from the official Steam Announcement, Dirt Rally features at launch (which is right now) 17 cars and 36 stages taken from 3 different locations (Monte Carlo, Acropolis and Wales).

SEE ALSO: Brand New Community Made DiRT Rally Videos

As you can see from the announcement, one of the biggest bullet points is "Simulation Handling". While we still haven't tried it yet, Codemasters definitely seems to be aiming for a more unforgiving driving model, with a "brand new model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials." Exactly how sim-like it will be remains to be seen, but it's indeed a good start.

Dirt Rally will also feature asynchronous events, team management providing improved repair times, league support.

Dirt Rally is currently in Early Access and available for the price of 26,99€, and it's going to receive new content in the form of cars, tracks and features for free.

Are you surprised as well by the Codies' announcement? Let us know your opinion in the comments!
DiRT_Rally_Announce_06.jpg

What is is with this forum and trying to get me in trouble with the wife !

First it was an great offer on a pre order for Project Cars and now this post about a new Rally game, which I will more than likely end up getting once I get home from my night shift while it has 10% off.

Either I have to stop visiting here or get some sort of will power to say No !

Jason.

Well, it's a game aimed for people like us. Unfortunately it's using F1 2014 engine. From what I saw it doesn't look bad, but it won't look as good as F1 2015 (but if it plays good, with great physics and ffb, and long rally tracks, who cares!).

Well, it's a game aimed for people like us. Unfortunately it's using F1 2014 engine. From what I saw it doesn't look bad, but it won't look as good as F1 2015.

Well…in the end it’s not about looks but about gameplay, when it comes to sims.
And F1 2014 still looks good enough.

• Deleted member 130869

I thought RD were never going to post the news.;) I am cautiously optimistic. Emphasis on optimistic. Do I dive in now or wait a bit???

Given the awful track record from Codemasters since at least 2010, by all means be the sacrificial lamb and post away about it, to prevent others from making the same mistake :p. I will wait until official release plus a couple of months to see proper user review and feedback, especially about the traditional Codies ignoring users in their forums. GamerMuscle occasionally creates fun videos but it's not a good source of incisive or quality, objective feedback.

Well…in the end it’s not about looks but about gameplay, when it comes to sims.
And F1 2014 still looks good enough.
I absolutely agree. I was editing my post to add that while you were replying.

I found this video to be more informative than the one from VideoGamerTV:
mod-edit: lets not flood the thread with slow loading videos, we have a dedicated section for videos here http://www.racedepartment.com/media/ feel free to add any videos there.

Last edited by a moderator:
First impressions!

Graphics: Looks awsome! Very nice! And runs great on GTX 970, 60fps al on ultra.
Nice camera angles to choose from.
Sounds, ok, nothin special, not a wow but ok. Good enough.
But good music. in menus.

FFB: I havnt found many settings, just the regular Codemaster settings. Also I dont see any possibiletys to change steering rotation onscreeen its about 270, but i cant say for sure. Also FFB feel only when turning. Wheel shakes on camera but my hands feel nothing. I guass I must research some before giving it a judgtment.

But this is NOT a sim!
But it looks to be fun non the less, must try moore but aside from so litle setup option for the wheel i got a positive reaction from it.

Yeah, sorry for that.

Anyway, found a even better video from Eurogamer, way more informative from Martin Robinson. It's on Youtube. Dunno how to post on racetube, maybe I need to be premium.

Can't wait to hear from you guys about this game.

Definitely NOT a pure sim at the moment so @Tomi Manninen don't count on that one. :)

I see some potential but at the moment it seems like an abandoned and re-thought version of Dirt 4. We'll see what are they doing with the title. Still a long way for a pure sim state. No clutch, H-shifter or proper setupping options.

And a note for guys with the DD-wheels! Be careful with the force feedback because by default it will rip your arms off!

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years