DiRT Rally DiRT Rally Flying Finland Update Released

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Ford_Finland_Jump_1_A.jpg

After a long wait, Codemasters have released the new update for DiRT Rally today, containing two new cars, 12 stages in Finland and lots of new and enhanced features.

Not too far off a full release, DiRT Rally has been updated to v0.8, with the 2001 Subaru Impreza WRC, and 2001 Ford Focus WRC included, the cars represents the two most recent British world champions, from a year they both fought hard for the world title.

The new stuff includes
  • A new, reworked handling model is also included for the 60's, 70's, 80's RWD and 2010-classes, with a major engine and downforce re-work, to make the cars more dynamic.
  • Custom Championships, to tweak the number of stages, AI difficulty and number of events, to set up a championship that suits you and the time you have to play
  • New engine sound for the 1995 Subaru Impreza
  • Mouse Support!
  • Invite Friend option for PvP events.
And here is the changelog!
  • The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
  • We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance.
  • Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
  • We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
  • We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
  • We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
  • Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
  • The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
  • Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
  • We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
  • Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
  • The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
  • We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
  • The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
  • When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
  • We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

This update is definitely a big step in the right direction. Even the tarmac stages make a lot more sense now, and the gravel ones are closing in on perfection.

The mandatory "jump into the car from time to time" feature of replays is getting really old, however. If I want to watch the replay from inside the car, I'll just switch the camera, thank you very much. Not to mention that I just saw the entire goddamn' stage from the cockpit cam... what's the point of making me watch it again from almost the same angle? Oh, and why is the co-pilot audible while outside of the car? Makes the replays even worse...

It's a good thing there's finally some mouse support implemented in Dirt Rally, but it's really weird with no "OK" and "Back" buttons anywhere, you know. If one has to chose an option with the mouse and accept the change with the "Button 18", that just doesn't cut it as a "mouse support".

Agree -The replays must be updated !
The current replays are pretty much useless IMO !

Did they go overboard with the new physics? Or is it the stage/map itself?
There's so many crests where they get little to no air (particularly a bit before and after the yellow house jump), while in game you're flying all over the place. Same thing in Germany at gina jump.

From the video though - looks like the scoob's suspension is made out of pogo sticks :)

Hasn't Codies replays always looked like the cars were made out of paper ?
Especially when they landed after a huge jump ! ( The early Colin McRae games comes to mind )
Looked really silly and nowhere near real physical behaviour.

There's probably a good reason why Codies won't let us see a full stage from the TV replay cams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasn't Codies replays always looked like the cars were made out of paper ?
Especially when they landed after a huge jump ! ( The early Colin McRae games comes to mind )
Looked really silly and nowhere near real physical behaviour.

There's probably a good reason why Codies won't let us see a full stage from the TV replay cams.
Physics wise it looks better than the seb loeb rally stuff

Agree -The replays must be updated !
The current replays are pretty much useless IMO !
Especially since it's impossible to save them. Which at the moment is a good thing due to the replay file's sheer size...

Did they go overboard with the new physics? Or is it the stage/map itself?
There's so many crests where they get little to no air (particularly a bit before and after the yellow house jump), while in game you're flying all over the place. Same thing in Germany at gina jump.
Looks pretty jumpy to me. It's easy to miss most of the jumping stuff while watching low-quality onboards. From the trackside cams real life rallying can appear quite "airy" as well:
RBR isn't much different in this department, by the way.

It only audible from the heli-cam, which often is done in the WRC-broadcasts as well, so I guess that's why they have it :)
Seriously? I wonder why would anybody want to have that... Pacenotes only make sense when you can see where the car is going, but from a hell-cam? That's really weird.

Anything looks better than anything from Milestone :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Well, there was a time Milestone made something good, actually. Around 15 years ago :D

Seriously? I wonder why would anybody want to have that... Pacenotes only make sense when you can see where the car is going, but from a hell-cam? That's really weird.

FIA-sanctioned series, TV-broadscasts, they are always weird.

Well, there was a time Milestone made something good, actually. Around 15 years ago :D

Had to look it up, and Milestone made Superbike 2000!!! O.O That was an awesome game!

FIA-sanctioned series, TV-broadscasts, they are always weird.
I stopped watching TV-broadcasts quite a time ago. Maybe this is why it's hard to remember them doing something like that.

Had to look it up, and Milestone made Superbike 2000!!! O.O That was an awesome game!
And the SBK2k1 was even better. In my opinion, at least :) Especially with the physics patch that made the sim really challenging, even though it was already challenging enough to begin with.

Why does the pace notes come from the front left and right speakers on the Finland stages? On all other stages the notes is pure and from the center (front) speaker.
I have a headphone connected to the front center speaker, and get all the notes directly to my ear. With Finland I´m back to Square one again... ;(
Even after the .8 update, all the other countrys use the front center speaker...

And the SBK2k1 was even better. In my opinion, at least :) Especially with the physics patch that made the sim really challenging, even though it was already challenging enough to begin with.

Ah, I was 8 when I got SBK 2000, so, I kinda understand why I didn't get SBK 2001, so never tested it!

Off-Topic over!

Regarding the notes, I never get a 90-right on one of the stages, cannot remember which one now, as the Finland update made the game virtually unplayable for me.

*snip*

Regarding the notes, I never get a 90-right on one of the stages, *snip*.
I have that issue too on one of the Finland stages. And on another Finland stage the co-pilot starts off like Chris Rock on meth ands gets way ahead and calls outs turns that are 3-4 corners down the track. Also had a ctd with an error 41, on that 90-right stage as I crossed the finish line. Only happened once.
Game works great otherwise. Finland is bliss.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back