DiRT Rally - Enhanced Camera Control Mod

DiRT Rally DiRT Rally - Enhanced Camera Control Mod 4.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
I have posted there as well (gfrally) and have been pretty adamant about trying to get replay camera changed or user select able. Unfortunately, after asking on the last livestreem, Paul said it was not going to happen with DiRT Rally. So i am going for alternative avenues to get some changes.

Thanks for the help, I did find the BinXML conversion program last night. It took awhile since the creators website if down.

Played with some of the values from your mod. Making some progress and learning what controls what. I appreciate your work even more now, since this is no easy task. I'll send you a PM with some of my results in a few days, since it is based on you mod anyhow :) I am mainly looking at the external cameras.

Thanks again for your hard work, and help too.

Thanks for your reply and the information, gf1. I could find your posts on the Codemasters forum. :)
The old CMR titles and the first "DiRT 1" had nice TV style replays. So, I feel sorry to hear the Paul's comment about the development plan.

Here are my videos which include the Replay Cam Mod.

< Old version > (Note: the same video which I posted in this thread before.)

< New version >
In this video, I edited the replay cams in the "cameras.xml" files. I think these cams look pretty much like (so-called) "GRID style" and it's far from the perfect solution (full track-side cams). But we can watch the exterior of the car (and the track) well at least.
I edited these cams privately because I've waited for the further development by the dev. But this might be one solution if there is no chance that the dev will make it,
Thank you. :)

The cameras look better than original, but the big thing are that you have allowed the RX cars on a Rally stage :).
Could you release a mod allowing all rally cars to race on the Pikes Peak???

Hi, Tomas.
Thanks for your reply.
It's easy to mod. Simply "replace the folder of the track".
Unfortunately in DiRT Rally, we can't edit "database.bin". But it's possible to race on the Pikes Peak by using this way. The problem is that the AI lines are not optimized for racing and AI cars slide off the track very often. ;)

I wrote a small tutorial on the YouTube page of the 2nd video above. Please read the "Tutorial" there. And it's one of the reasons I posted "Cars, Tracks & Folder Names - List" here.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-rally-cars-tracks-folder-names-list.104727/

Please refer to this "Tracks & Folders" list and replace the folders.
Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your reply and the information, gf1. I could find your posts on the Codemasters forum. :)
The old CMR titles and the first "DiRT 1" had nice TV style replays. So, I feel sorry to hear the Paul's comment about the development plan.

Here are my videos which include the Replay Cam Mod.

< Old version > (Note: the same video which I posted in this thread before.)

< New version >
In this video, I edited the replay cams in the "cameras.xml" files. I think these cams look pretty much like (so-called) "GRID style" and it's far from the perfect solution (full track-side cams). But we can watch the exterior of the car (and the track) well at least.
I edited these cams privately because I've waited for the further development by the dev. But this might be one solution if there is no chance that the dev will make it,

I really like the cockpit gopro style view of the first video.

Again, I see this is a lot of trial and error, but I am making some progress. Do you know if there is a way to add a camera view instead of overwriting an existing one? It seems there where mods for DiRT3 that added views.

I really like the cockpit gopro style view of the first video.

Again, I see this is a lot of trial and error, but I am making some progress. Do you know if there is a way to add a camera view instead of overwriting an existing one? It seems there where mods for DiRT3 that added views.

Yes, I also like the in-car cam with driver & co-driver. But the problem is that it's too long in DiRT Rally. So I changed it to the (edited) normal onboard cam.

It was possible to add the new cameras in the old Codemasters titles. But Codemasters disabled it in some of the latest titles as far as I can remember. I've not tried it in DiRT Rally yet though, it might be worth a try if needed. :)

Last edited:
What would I need to edit in the XML file if I wanted to raise and move forward, slightly, the close head camera for the 2001 Impreza and 2001 Focus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all your work on this mod! Love it so far!

What would I need to edit in the XML file if I wanted to raise and move forward, slightly, the close head camera for the 2001 Impreza and 2001 Focus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all your work on this mod! Love it so far!
Thanks for your comment, EliteGoalie.
Please check this post in which I've already answered your question.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-rally-alternative-camera-pack.104940/page-4#post-2109597

Hope this helps. :)

As I said this mod is not served almost anything, he only had to wait codemasters

Just so there's no confusion. Every modder (skinner) edits his/her favorite Mod (Skin) and simply "share" it.
And the RaceDepartment staffs specially provide a forum for us to do it (thanks to RaceDepartment).
I don't think I'm doing anything special at all. But I'm glad if someone likes my Mod.

And I never forget that my Mods (Skins) are totally based on the developers' hard work. Without their base games, I can't do anything. So, I always say "thanks" to the developers (Codemasters). (Please read my Readme.)

As I already posted and know, many other PC Sims have the Seat Adjustment option (or Free Camera Mode). And we normally don't need the Camera Mods for those titles.
DiRT Rally did not have that option. But finally it comes (thanks to John for the info).

I'd like to wait and see. And if I edit something, I'll share it.
It's simple, Modding and Skinning are our hobby.

Last edited:
Even with camera adjustment, we need your mod Tommy,
take your time to do the magic ;)
Thanks for your kind message, pargiNOS. Your kindness always encourages me! :)
I looked into the new Seat Adjustment option last night. And it took more time than I'd expected to test it. But I could figure out how it works.
Hopefully, I want to report the progress later today if I can.
Thanks again, buddy! :thumbsup:

@Tommi-TAG it's that time again ;)
Thanks for your encouragement as always, John.
Thanks to your information about the new Seat Adjustment, I could prepare for the update. :thumbsup:
I'm now working on the enhancement of the camera control. And it's going to take a little longer than usual because I have to re-edit almost everything this time. But I'll focus on the update and would like to report the progress later today if I can.
Thanks again, buddy! :)

@Tommi-TAG thank you man, you're the nicest guy ever!

The camera controls are not what I thought they would be, and much prefer the way you set your seats & camera positions, they feel perfect for me every time. It's hard to adjust a seat while concentrating on co-driver calls.

Keep it up!

@Tommi-TAG thank you man, you're the nicest guy ever!

The camera controls are not what I thought they would be, and much prefer the way you set your seats & camera positions, they feel perfect for me every time. It's hard to adjust a seat while concentrating on co-driver calls.

Keep it up!
Thanks for your feedback, John. I'm always grateful to you. :)
I looked into the "Seat Adjustment" option and found this new feature greatly expands the capability of the "Camera Control", except that we can't move the cameras to the left/right.
(Thanks to Codemasters for this update!)

I've edited a short video to show my progress and how it works.

As seen in this video, the new "Seat Adjustment" makes it possible for us to create various camera positions. For example,

Head-Cam (position) with "HUD Dial"
dirt_r10.jpg

Adjustable Hood Cam (now the player can optimize the "Fore/Aft, Up/Down" position when he/she changed the FOV.)
dirt_r11.jpg

Roof Cam
dirt_r12.jpg

Center Dash-Cam (previously suggested by pargiNOS. Now it's possible. Thanks to pargiNOS! :))
dirt_r13.jpg

and so on.

And here are the points I've noticed so far.

<Seat Adjustment: General>
- It's possible to enable the "Seat Adjustment" (not only for "Head-Cam" but also) for "Dash-Cam".
- But it seems we can't enable the "Seat Adjustment" for "Chase-Cam, Bumper-Cam & Bonnet-Cam".

<Seat Adjustment: Head-Cam>
- Adjusted Seat Position can be saved (not stable atm though).

<Seat Adjustment: Dash-Cam>
- Adjusted Seat Position can't be saved (because it is not supported as default).
- Further tests are needed to make sure this works without problem (online etc.).

Both "Default Cam" and "Close Cam" are now in the range of the "Seat Adjustment". And 2 camera files may not be necessary.
Thinking of these points, my plans for the new package are,

- Pack 1 - Driver's Side Cameras
- Pack 2 - Center & Semi-Center Cameras.

- I'm going to edit the new "Head-Cam" based on the "Close Cam" position and make it possible to move backward to the "Default Cam" position.

This might be a good solution for the new package, I think.
Also, I'm thinking of changing the name of the Mod to "Enhanced Camera Control Mod".

I'm not sure, but it may take longer than usual to complete the new version because I have to re-edit almost everything this time, I'm sorry. But I'm going to release it as soon as possible. And any suggestion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
@Tommi-TAG thanks for all your hard work! This new mod you're in the works on is looking GREAT! Unfortunately my "sweet spot" exists somewhere between the closest the head cam will let you get on the new update and zoomed out a little from the dash cam position. So what this new mod you're working on allows for would do WONDERS for me! Thanks again for all your hard work on this! Looking forward to seeing it when it's done!

In the meantime I'm going to try putting in your modded cameras and see if it will let me zoom in even more from that position. I'll post the results of this after I try it.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years