DiRT Rally 2.0 Dirt Rally 2 stages in real life

As you might be aware, unlike some other rally games, the original Dirt Rally featured recreations of real life stages, and you could look at some of the roads and location in say Google Street View. Dirt Rally 2 continues this trend. However, it made it a bit more challenging to locate the actual real-life locations and stages, because on more than one occasion, they use real location names, but the real-life stages are actually located in a different part of the country completely, and to make things more confusing, the location names used in the game might even be tied to some rally competitions. Also, some of the stages in the game haven't actually been used for several years in real life rallying, so you have to locate them not just in space, but in time as well, so to speak ;)

Anyway, I've managed to locate basically all of the stages currently available in Dirt Rally 2 (including DLC, but that's not so difficult as it's just been stages from the previous game so far, so plenty of info on those) and here they are.

I will try to include more stages in my post as they are released.

Note that the game basically features two long unique stages per country. The two stages are raced in both directions (which is often done in real life as well), which makes four long stages per country. And each of these four stages is then further divided into two short stages, giving us the total of 12 stages per country. But as there really only are two stages per country that do not share roads (and if, then only short sections), I'm only including those two stages here, and I am including them in the direction the stages were apparently last ran in real life. Also, please note that I am aware of the fact that in-game stage lengths and real-life stage lengths do not align perfectly - I did not see much sense in trying to pinpoint the exact spots, plus it wouldn't guarantee a perfect match anyway.

Argentina

In-game name: Valle de los Puentes a la inversa
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_24_05_28_39_575.png

Real life stage:
Copina - El Condor 2019
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 8.7 km into the stage, ends at the end of the stage

In-game name: Camino a La Puerta
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_24_05_22_46_937.png

Real life stage:
Copina - El Condor 2019
Part of the stage included: Starts at start of the stage, ends at around 8.1 km into the stage

Australia

In-game name: Mount Kaye Pass
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_24_05_40_58_855.png

Real life stage:
Welshs Creek 2017
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 8.8 km into the stage, ends at around 22 km into the stage
Notes: It seems like there might be some slight differences in the second half of the stage. Either that or either of the maps are not completely accurate, which is also a possibility.

In-game name: Chandlers Creek
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_24_05_41_36_282.png

Real life stage:
Welshs Creek 2017
Real life stage map (incomplete, suggested only):
rd_australiastagemap.png

Part of the stage included: Starts at around 13.7 km into the stage, but shortly after turns to Proctor Rd, winds its way on unmarked roads through the forest and country, crossing the stage route at one point, rejoins the stage at around 22 km into the stage, turns to Grey Gum Rd at around 23.2 km into the stage, finish about 2 km on that road.
Notes: As you might've guessed from the above, both the Australian stages were a pain to find, but especially this one. Not only they are in a different location than suggested (and Monaro itself is host to the Monaro Stages Rally very close to the suggested locations), but the second stage also doesn't seem to be an actual rally stage, at least not in any rallies I've checked, it's just located in the area around one. I knew the stages are crossing itself at one point, but it really was hard to realize not all roads used in the game might've been used for real-life rallying.

Monte Carlo

In-game name: Pra d'Alart
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_01_32_328.png

Real life stage:
La Bolléne Vesubie - Sospel 2015
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 2.7 km into the stage, ends at around 12 km in Col de Turini

In-game name: Vallée Descendante
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_03_09_451.png

Real life stage:
La Bolléne Vesubie - Sospel 2015
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 12 km into the stage in Col de Turini, ends at around 23 km into the stage

New Zealand

In-game name: Waimarama Point Forward
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_08_47_499.png

Real life stage:
Whaanga Coast 2018
Part of the stage included: Starts at the stage start, ends at around 17.5 km into the stage
Notes: Once again a location that's in a very different spot than suggested by the location names in the game.

In-game name: Ocean Beach
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_09_51_953.png

Real life stage:
Whaanga Coast 2018
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 18.2 km into the stage, ends at stage finish.

Poland

In-game name: Zagórze
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_16_54_785.png

Real life stage:
Baranowo 2018
Part of the stage included: All of it
Notes: Once again we find ourselves in a very different location than the in-game location names suggest.

In-game name: Zienki
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_18_38_038.png

Real life stage:
Stare Juchy 2018
Part of the stage included: All of it

Spain

In-game name: Comienzo en Belriu
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_20_40_357.png

Real life stage:
La Figuera 2015
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 2.4 km into the stage, ends at around 16.4 km into the stage

In-game name: Centenera
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_21_29_796.png

Real life stage:
La Figuera 2015
Real life stage map:
rd_cetenerastage_map.png

Part of the stage included:
Starts at around 16 km into the stage, turns left at around 22.9 km into the stage and then follows the T-714 road to a finish before Torre de l'Espanyol
Notes: This was another stage that was a challenge to locate, because only part of it seems to follow an actual rally stage. I knew it had to be somewhere very close to the other Spanish stage, but I just couldn't place it in the map, until I realized I might just follow the road signs (they're still accurate, it's just that the location names are different) and directions in the game, and suddenly the solution to the puzzle was right there in front of me.

New England, USA

In-game names: North Fork Pass, Beaver Creek Trail Forward
In-game stage maps:
dirtrally2_2019_04_30_03_13_07_187.png

dirtrally2_2019_04_30_03_14_32_892.png

rd_usastagemap-X4.png

Real life stage:
Forest area near Snoqualmie, WA - Suggested routing of the stages
Part of the stage included: ?
Notes: The "New England" stages have by far been the most difficult to locate. In the retrospect, the answer seems very obvious and probably should've been, but hindsight is always 20/20, as they say. I've been scouring maps of the East coast forests and areas, thinking the "New England" part is at least somewhat accurate...only to finally realize that Dirt 4 prominently featured the DirtFish rally school located in Twin P...Snoqualmie, Washington, and it would only make sense if the US stages were actually located somewhere in that area. And sure enough, they are. I can't even tell you how much time I spent on this, including studying where the sun sets and so on to help me locate the stages, before the sudden realization. I have done a rough suggestion where the stages actually are which you can view by clicking the link above - it seems to mostly check out, except there are some (few) parts where there are no roads according to Google maps. I honestly have no idea if it's Codemasters altering the map a bit to their purpose, or if the roads are actually there (or have been when CM visited). Most of the time, there seems to be a gap between the trees, suggesting that there actually is a road there, but it's just not included in Google Maps.

Last edited:
Sweden

In-game name: Ransbysäter
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_36_16_484.png

Real life stage:
Vargåsen 2016
Part of the stage included: Starts at around 2.9 km into the stage, ends at around 14.8 km into the stage

In-game name: Hamra
In-game stage map:
dirtrally2_2019_04_29_21_37_34_427.png

Real life stage:
Vargåsen 2016
Real life stage map:
rd_hamrastage_map.png

Part of the stage included:
Starts at around 14.8 km into the stage, continues for around 4 km past the finish of the stage (see the map above)
Notes: As noted above and shown on the map, this stage actually exceeds the real-life stage and runs a bit longer.

Last edited:
I always found it funny that they gave the stage the name Ransbysätter, when it was really the other stage that go through the real life Ransbysätter at Vargåsen. It is a bit of a shame that they have removed that final half of the original stage for TV-purposes these days, this point just uphill from the junction at the mentioned Ransbysätter was a good position to see the difference between men and boys :)

Last edited:
I have done a rough suggestion where the US stages actually are which you can view by clicking the bolded link in the post above - it seems to mostly check out, except there are some (few) parts where there are no roads according to Google maps. I honestly have no idea if it's Codemasters altering the map a bit to their purpose, or if the roads are actually there (or have been when CM visited). Most of the time, there seems to be a gap between the trees, suggesting that there actually is a road there, but it's just not included in Google Maps.

I have done a rough suggestion where the US stages actually are which you can view by clicking the bolded link in the post above - it seems to mostly check out, except there are some (few) parts where there are no roads according to Google maps. I honestly have no idea if it's Codemasters altering the map a bit to their purpose, or if the roads are actually there (or have been when CM visited). Most of the time, there seems to be a gap between the trees, suggesting that there actually is a road there, but it's just not included in Google Maps.

Those could be the roads the stages are based on, the roads match up somewhat and forest roads get decommissioned over time which could explain gaps.
But I am fairly certain no performance rally stages have taken place on those roads
I live in Washington and have been going to rallies for 25 years. In my experience, Washington rallies have taken place in the Capital National Forest and Simpson company roads in the coastal and Olympic mountains west of I5 and eastern Washington.

Back in the Dirt Rally days, I did a comparison of the Monaco rally stage with Google Street View. I recently found it in my archive and thought it would be fun to add DR2 to the comparison. So here's the comparison - DR1 vs DR2 vs reality:

https://foto.mfiala.cz/Misc/Games/Dirt-Rally-Monaco-rally-comparison/

(And yes, I'm aware I haven't updated this thread for a while and we have several DR1 rallies re-released for DR2. I will add the stages, but I'm not sure when will that happen exactly, sorry.)

Back road maps might help you out. I doubt google is to good with logging/fire roads they tend to unmarked and unassumed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 171 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.6%