DiRT Rally 2.0 Dirt Rally 2 HANDBRAKE Strength SLIDER

M D Gourley

Premium
SIM RIG 2x TSS crop.jpg
Hello everyone,
Very much enjoying Dirt Rally 2 at the moment, but would like to have a 'Handbrake Strength Slider' included in the settings....eg set the slider to 25%, 50% or anything in between 0-100% and get a reduced force amount even though I am pulling on my Handbrake through it's full range of motion at 100%, this would possibly be beneficial to those who have the Handbrake set up on a 'Button' which I suppose when pushed is either 0% or 100%....just a thought.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Dirt Rally 2.0 like Dirt Rally 1.0 does not have a variable hand brake. It is either on 100% or off 0%. My experience is Dirt Rally 1.0 only at this point.

For this reason if you have hand brake without a dead zone and it is getting a tiny bit of hand brake signal, you will never leave the starting line.

So someone using a button gets the exact same reaction as you do with a hand brake lever.

The lack of an analog hand-brake control option does make it harder to get the tight turn right. I'm going to mod my hand-brake with some rubber as well but, I prefer the way the brake works in RBR as it seems to be variable there.

Yes, it was analog in DR.

I'm still playing DR and to my best knowledge the handbrake is on or off.

Am I missing yet another setting ?

I have it mapped to my Heusinkveld Hand brake and there are no adjustments like there are for brakes, clutch and throttle. There is simply a trigger for hand brake.

I'll go look yet again for a way to make this analog, but it certainly is not obvious.

What I'm reading is that it may have a two stage, 1- release rear diff, 2-hand brake 100% and that the analog range is very small such that it all happens in 10% of travel effectively making it a switch.

Last edited:
I have it mapped to my Heusinkveld Hand brake and there are no adjustments like there are for brakes, clutch and throttle. There is simply a trigger for hand brake.
I have often thought does the Heusinkveld Handbrake give a more progressive feel in Dirt Rally / Dirt Rally 2....but going by your post it may be just the same as my Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake...on or off....correct me if I am wrong.:)

I have often thought does the Heusinkveld Handbrake give a more progressive feel in Dirt Rally / Dirt Rally 2....but going by your post it may be just the same as my Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake...on or off....correct me if I am wrong.:)

The Heusinkveld handbrake is a loadcell based analog device. You can calibrate it's range and adjust it's curve if you like. Other games support an analog hand brake much better than Dirt Rally does.

But yes in Dirt Rally, there isn't a difference in how they work that I'm aware of.

I had a Fanatec handbrake that absolutely hated transducers and required recalibration frequently. It also was very flexy.

In game I love the solid feel of the Heusinkveld hand brake. I also like how adjustable it is, but that is par for the course with Heusinkveld. So far all the controls I got from them are excellent.

• Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

Guess it doesn't start moving until handbrake fully released if that's what you meant. Could be by design.
Try pulling it in turns, go from slight touch to full pull and observe the difference, in RWD or AWD car.

Interesting. I heard a lot of complaints by people with Fanatec hand brakes, but more success from people with Heusinkveld hand brakes. Thanks I'll look deeper, but I have calibrated my hand brake with the Heusinkveld software I used on the pedals.

To be fair I hadn't really tested it thoroughly since I installed the Heusinkveld hand brake.

I heard someone saying that if they drove under throttle they could gauge how much the hand brake was pulling them back. I'll have to test that out.

I have been testing the small rubber Mod I have placed in my Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/thrustmaster-tss-handbrake-rubber-mod.168695/
...and found it to give fairly content results but also found what also effects how much the car end swings around when pulling on the Handbrake is how much 'Wheel Turn In' to the corner I have....eg turning the wheels alot when entering the corner and pulling on the Handbrake results in the back end of the car swinging around to much, most of the time almost 180 degrees.
I have found the alternative is to drive up to the corner, limit wheel turn in going into the corner, pull on the Handbrake and if I get it right this pulls the back end around just nicely and if the back end starts to swing around to much, smash the throttle to power out of the oversteer and bring the car straight (Group A Subaru Car Tested with this) ...although it propably has alot to do with the speed into the corner as well as how much throttle I am applying...LOL...still, it's a great challenge and with lots of practice when you get it right it feels fantastic.

Do you mean that Dirt Rally 2.0 doesn't allow mapping your handbrake as an axis and therefore it always work like a digital device (on-off, 0%-100%)? That was not the case with Dirt Rally 1.

in group b, If you use automatic clutch the handbrake will be work as an on/off switch at the start, because the "a.i" don't release the clutch while you don't release 100% handbrake. You can check it out in VR. So if you dont use manual clutch in the game settings even if you configurated it, don't bother to use any time the clutch, it won't work.
another weird thing, The handbrake only works (feels) as it should be if you use manual clutch too.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 388 39.9%