DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Support.jpg

After considerable encouragement from a vociferous community, Codemasters have finally confirmed VR support will be coming to DiRT Rally 2.0!

Yes, you heard it correctly - following a notable omission of Virtual Reality support in the most recent DiRT 4 rally game from Codemasters, and something of an intense campaign by a portion of the racing game community to make Codemasters understand just how sought after the inclusion of VR support really is for their next game, the English development studio have at long last confirmed that the upcoming DiRT 2.0 will indeed be in receipt of VR compatibility post release - hitting social media earlier today to confirm that a summer VR compatibility update will be made available for the PC version of the game!

Sadly for VR users this isn't all good news however. It appears that the Oculus Rift platform will be VR headset of choice for support within DiRT 2.0, with no mention of the impressive HTC Vive headset, or other compatible brands at this early stage. Now if this means just Oculus support, or if further headsets will be added later, remains open to debate.

Either way, it is wonderful to see how Codemasters have obviously been listening to their community in recent months, and once again hitting the stages in full VR is sure to be an incredibly impressive experience indeed..

I can't wait!

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

From now on its:
No HTC = No Buy

It just needs to be open VR. What is the walled garden crap on PC? Oculus has been pushing for console-land since launch. The Rift is a fine HMD but locking out peripherals has got to go. Imagine not being able to play ACC on anything but an ASUS monitor?

If revive isn't being supported in the future or Oculus locks out other headsets... well, any VR player with a new model HMD that has foveated rendering, eye tracking, viewport tech, etc. won't be able to play DR2 anyway.

We did it!!!!! Our incessant winging and whining paid off, INSTABUY! Im gonna go badger my wife for sex for 8 months. VR=BUY

No it was oculus money.

It just needs to be open VR. What is the walled garden crap on PC? Oculus has been pushing for console-land since launch. The Rift is a fine HMD but locking out peripherals has got to go. Imagine not being able to play ACC on anything but an ASUS monitor?

If revive isn't being supported in the future or Oculus locks out other headsets... well, any VR player with a new model HMD that has foveated rendering, eye tracking, viewport tech, etc. won't be able to play DR2 anyway.

Nobody knows why oculus don't support stream headsets. It's not cut and dried.

Why would they prevent a lot of people from buying games they invest so much in?

One theory is stream won't cooperate and give them access to machine layers so they can't build native support for those headsets into their sdk.

It's not in steams interest to facilitate other stores selling games to steam headset owners so maybe that theory has some mileage.

Another theory is that oculus support revive on the Qt in order to ensure non oculus owners can still buy oculus games

And an injection of cash from Oculus.

I wonder which one swayed them.
Tin Foil Hats . Why would Oculus waist money on a single driving game when they have massive VR followed genres? Don't make sense. I heard Sean Cole and Billy Strange Love Suggesting this silly Conspiracy Theory, ?? I think in this case it is what it is. imho

Last edited:
"Yay! Somebody paid us to develop your wanted feature, you just have to buy another HMD, inferior to the one you already own, or rely on the freeware effort of some kind-hearted stranger to make it kinda work." :thumbsup:

I hope they integrate OpenVR or whatever is good with all HMDs.

• Deleted member 197115

Tin Foil Hats . Why would Oculus waist money on a single driving game when they have massive VR followed genres? Don't make sense. I heard Sean Cole and Billy Strange Love Suggesting this silly Conspiracy Theory, ?? I think in this case it is what it is. imho
Straight from FB post
We heard you. Oculus heard you. DiRT Rally 2.0 + Oculus = this summer… #RisetotheChallenge

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.5%