DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Support.jpg

After considerable encouragement from a vociferous community, Codemasters have finally confirmed VR support will be coming to DiRT Rally 2.0!

Yes, you heard it correctly - following a notable omission of Virtual Reality support in the most recent DiRT 4 rally game from Codemasters, and something of an intense campaign by a portion of the racing game community to make Codemasters understand just how sought after the inclusion of VR support really is for their next game, the English development studio have at long last confirmed that the upcoming DiRT 2.0 will indeed be in receipt of VR compatibility post release - hitting social media earlier today to confirm that a summer VR compatibility update will be made available for the PC version of the game!

Sadly for VR users this isn't all good news however. It appears that the Oculus Rift platform will be VR headset of choice for support within DiRT 2.0, with no mention of the impressive HTC Vive headset, or other compatible brands at this early stage. Now if this means just Oculus support, or if further headsets will be added later, remains open to debate.

Either way, it is wonderful to see how Codemasters have obviously been listening to their community in recent months, and once again hitting the stages in full VR is sure to be an incredibly impressive experience indeed..

I can't wait!

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Why would Oculus waist money on a single driving game when they have massive VR followed genres?
The same reason that companies like nVidia pay developers to put their logo in the titles and claim their game "works best with nVidia." It's advertising, it promotes their brand, it generates sales. There are plenty of people out there that will buy new hardware on the grounds of wanting to play a single game, especially if that hardware is also compatible with many others games they may like too.

Not sure why VR is a divisive issue in the sim racing community...
Because human beings love divisiveness and conflict. We're tribal by nature, so we happily divide ourselves into little groups based on even the tiniest differences, and then fight against those that are in different groups. It's why we'll never have the united-Earth utopia you sometimes see in the movies.

I'm happy they've finally relented and are adding VR support, whatever the reason. It's a shame that they're going down the single brand route as I really don't think that helps the VR gaming industry at all. That may work when you're talking console exclusive games, but not when you're talking a much, much smaller VR industry which needs all the help it can get to entice developers and gamers to support it.

Here's hoping that after a period of "exclusivity" they open up official support to other headsets. (I have a Rift myself.)

How much does this VR thingy cost ?
I heard some people get headaches from using it !!
Headaches are usually something that happens if the Pc is not powerful enough .
And if you don't like roller coaster rides VR is maybe not for you either..
Dirt Rally is in fact the only racing game where I use VR .
i Mostly use VR in Flying simulators where it really shines...

It's a shame that they're going down the single brand route as I really don't think that helps the VR gaming industry at all.

Totally agree here, but the problem as I see it is the VR industry is at best performing more slowly than was anticipated, at worst in decline.

Oculus seem to be the only people left investing in high quality new VR content. I'd love to see developers including all VR platforms in their content but that's a problem in itself. There's Oculus, there's Steam and then there's OpenVR too.

It's like Betamax and VHS. Somebody needs to win in order for there to be a single platform that all content producers can then get behind.

Legend had it that this is what old Palmer wanted and he was keen on including the HTC headset in the Oculus SDK. But that meant loss of income and market share for Steam, so they understandably said 'no thanks' went their own way.

• Deleted member 6919

People without VR get upset with VR requests because they worry that it will mean time will be spent on this instead of some feature they wanted.
People without VR get upset with some VR onwers because they believe and demand, and go on and on and on to developers that it should be a priority nowdays, like aload of winging bitches..:p

People without VR get upset with some VR onwers because they believe and demand, and go on and on and on to developers that it should be a priority nowdays, like aload of winging bitches..:p

People with VR get upset at some of the people without VR exaggerating the truth, generalising, stereotyping and spreading unfounded rhetoric like a load of jealous children.

This so called VR support Facebook only Is pretty easy to combat! Just don't buy!
Support companies that support the customer, not other cooperate interests!

Dirt Rally is just as unfinished as PC2 so why support that kind of products/ Companies.
You want better sims support Studios that make sims for you.
You will save a lot of money as the list gets very short! The car and track license's will get a lot cheaper with those companies out.

People without VR get upset with VR requests because they worry that it will mean time will be spent on this instead of some feature they wanted.
And that is different than other whingers and whiners... how? I get sick of people demanding multiplayer in every single game, even ones that are clearly not geared towards it, people demanding weather effects and day cycles, people demanding triple screens, people demanding support for hardware I'll never be able to afford, etc etc. The difference is that I don't jump on forums and start whinging about their whinging like a lot of "anti-VR" people seem to. Live and let live for God sake. We all have our preferences and demands, and we all have a right to make them heard when the subject is being discussed.

Totally agree here, but the problem as I see it is the VR industry is at best performing more slowly than was anticipated, at worst in decline.
That's very true, but it's a catch-22 situation. The VR industry is advancing slowly because the uptake has been slow, but the uptake has been slow because the VR industry is advancing too slowly. To be honest, I think you're spot on with the Betamax/VHS comparison. The deadlock wont be broken until one set of hardware wins the current battle, unless the battle ends up killing the concept altogether.

I'm not a 'fan' of the Codemaster's process of game sales.
New releases...without fixing the active, doesn't work for me.
That said...Hopefully this one is better than the last one I tried.
Every single car I tried felt like it had a drogue chute whenever I got off the throttle.
I refunded it to Steam in less than an hour.
It is not a good thing to have to be lobbied "vociferously" to get a mainstream feature added to a new title.
That signals afterthought and possibly not great implementation.

• Deleted member 6919

Hey Ross I'm not anti VR in the slightest..if it happens in any game then that's cool by me, but if it doesn't happen then VR supporters really jump hard and fast on it, and it's happening on many forums, now if you want to take it personally hey no skin of my nose, and yes it happens in other situations as well, but when some and I say again as I did before SOME say stuff like no VR no buy jeez how sad some can be..and going by how fast you just jumped and how sick it's making you feel then that says it all to me.

Hey Ross I'm not anti VR in the slightest..if it happens in any game then that's cool by me, but if it doesn't happen then VR supporters really jump hard and fast on it, and it's happening on many forums, now if you want to take it personally hey no skin of my nose, and yes it happens in other situations as well, but when some and I say again as I did before SOME say stuff like no VR no buy jeez how sad some can be..and going by how fast you just jumped and how sick it's making you feel then that says it all to me.

What on earth is wrong with someone stating a preference?

What's wrong with someone saying 'if it doesn't have VR I'm not buying it'?

I never felt the urge to say that on a forum, but that no VR no buy thing is very real, since i got the oculus i pretty much not play automobilista anymore and raceroom very little (very bad FPS in VR).
ACC, i just opened it a pair of times, no VR support for menus, will never play again untill solved.
It's not for whining sake, VR is just so much better, and it's not like triple screeens that can work even without explicit support (yeah, without perspective correction), it actually needs to be supported well.

Also VR is best suited to racing and flying games, so IMHO all racing fan should be happy to push for it's diffusion hoping that it brings more players to our games too. A lot of my friends who were totally unable to drive on a flat screen can even do decent trajectories in VR, it's a lot more natural.

I never felt the urge to say that on a forum, but that no VR no buy thing is very real, since i got the oculus i pretty much not play automobilista anymore and raceroom very little (very bad FPS in VR).
Raceroom can run decent in VR, but deactivate the flickering shadows.

If the Oculus Store is going to sell the only VR-version, than the Steam-version will never support VR. They haven't done it with Dirt Rally and other HMDs can run it with tricks, but just because the Steam-version is the same. If Oculus payed for the only VR-version, the Steam-version will be useless for VR and no hacks can do the trick. Dirt Rally already checked all files regularly and replaced any file that was altered.

methinks oculus needs a product that lets their product shine at conventions and the like. hence the vr deal with dirt 2.0, people were enthusiastic about vr in the original dirt rally, makes sense. as for sheer sales, we're a niche in a niche, not much money to be made in the sim racing market if you compare us to hit console titles. that's why i guess it's more about getting airplay from enthusiastic journalists / bloggers than about sales.

It seems the one taking things personally here is you, given that you've turned my general, un-personalised statement into some kind of attack against yourself.

Yes, VR users jump on a lack of VR support, but so does every other group of people you care to mention... multiplayer fans, triple-screen users, direct-drive users, SLI users, etc etc etc etc. In other words, the point I'm making is that we all want and expect our hardware or preferences to be supported in the games we buy, we all have a right to ask for such support when the issue is raised, and we all need to get over people demanding such support and stop whinging every time they do.

And there is nothing "sad" about refusing to buy software that does not support your hardware or preferences. Would you buy a racing sim that didn't support your £300+ wheel and pedals at all? Nope, and I wont buy one that doesn't support my £400 VR system, because I need that support to enjoy the product.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back