DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 Monte Update.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 has been updated today, and now includes the Monte Carlo Rally.

Having received the first new rally location since releasing on PC and console back on February 29th, DiRT Rally 2.0 by Codemasters has also had a small update applied to the title as the development team look to respond to the wave of feedback received since first shipping out the much awaiting sequel to the impressive DiRT Rally of 2015.

Of course new content is often likely to take the headlines, and even though Monte Carlo is a returning location from the original title, much work has been undertaken by Codemasters to bring the rally up to the new standards both graphically and technologically. Featuring graphically enhanced stages (as can be seen in the Monte Carlo Rally previews here) and the latest stage deformation features that have come to DiRT Rally 2.0, the "new" event should hopefully offer a suitably changed experience to make it a worthwhile experiences for players of the earlier title.

Update 1.2.1 Notes
  • My Team Special Events issues fixed
  • We've fixed not receiving input from unofficial devices (without re-connecting the device after press start)
  • Special liveries and Monte Carlo Rally unlocked for Deluxe Edition players on Steam. These will unlock for PlayStation and Xbox players at midnight local time
Ok, we have to admit that isn't exactly an overwhelming amount of changes that Codemasters have brought with the new build, however it has been stated by the developer that they are continuing to listen to community feedback as they develop further enhancements for the game. Some of the most vocal feedback has been around the FFB implementation within the title, and Codemasters have confirmed they have acknowledged this complaint, and are continuing to investigate possible solutions that they hope to release in the near future.

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for PC and console now.

For more from the world of the DiRT series of games, be sure to check out our DiRT Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Could be that these people are using the wrong compound for the stages.

I stopped reading here, are you seriously? How could everyone that is complaing be using wrong compounds? It makes no sense, and the default compounds choosen by the game for each stage are already ok they are just not the softest available. No, this is not the problem, the problem are the physics.

You don't want to lose the discusion, if a rally driver says DR 2.0 physics are wrong you will justify it saying the rally driver is using the wrong compound too, or any other stupidity. With that last post i realised you don't want to discuss about physics here, you are cleary trolling.

Last edited:
if a rally driver says DR 2.0 physics are wrong you will justify it saying the rally driver is using the wrong compound too, or any other stupidity. With that last post i realised you don't want to discuss about physics here, you are cleary trolling.
thing is, for rally driver both Dirt or WRC or RBR would be alright... for game. The better driver you are the more the nuances you notice, and lack of those in titles, so one game will have something others don't, and at the end of the day they'll remain games. So I havev no problem with real drivers saying "oh, this game is great", "this sim is great", because they are more light-hearted about the games.
This is something I feel we really need to learn, it's easy to throw bold statements that "all cars grip" or "driving is easy", or "the cars slide too much", or "this sim is better than that sim". Without clear understanding of what the car, tire, weight, suspension is doing at any given moment, what was happening before, that leaded to that a moment before, and what was happening even prior to that - all our talk is just nonsense.
The ones who learned to sense all these nuances, look at all sims still like at games, because there are a lot of nuances left undone. And at the end of the day the enjoyment factor, the most all around natural behaviour, even if simplified, wins. To me the best title with loose surface at the moment is Wreckfest, and I see where it gets unrealistic, and a lot of nuances which aren't covered. But at the end of the day it's a fun game.

I stopped reading here, are you seriously? How could everyone that is complaing be using wrong compounds?
Not everyone is complaining, just a few loud people that are probably too stupid to get the game-design. You choose the wrong compound, you don't switch to new tyres, you die. It's not authentic, but reasonable inside the game-logic.

It makes no sense, and the default compounds choosen by the game for each stage are already ok they are just not the softest available. No, this is not the problem, the problem are the physics.
You have problems with the physics, i don't. Let's just agree we disagree for once.

You don't want to lose the discusion, if a rally driver says DR 2.0 physics are wrong you will justify it saying the rally driver is using the wrong compound too, or any other stupidity. With that last post i realised you don't want to discuss about physics here, you are cleary trolling.
There is no Rally-driver saying, the tarmac-physics are wrong, just people without any knowledge about Rally in the first place and assuming that AC is doing it better, which isn't a fu**ing Rally-game at all, without any sorts of tyres that are meant for Rally-racing. I don't care what a majority thinks about this game and i was the only one always saying, that the Monte Carlo physics in DR1 are complete BS, because the onboards are totally different and they are fine now.

The onboards on Spain are a very good match what i get in DR2 with AWD-cars and so the physics are pretty okay for my taste. If people like you think they should be different: I don't give a :poop:

The better driver you are the more the nuances you notice, and lack of those in titles, so one game will have something others don't, and at the end of the day they'll remain games.

Yes but, there are main "nuances" and secondary "nuances". RBR, Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo and Assetto Corsa, all of them have the most important "nuances" implemented, and that's what make it feels like you're driving a car on tarmac, despite which one is closer to reality, or how many "nuances" are implemented in each one. The thing is that Dirt Rally 2.0 don't have the main or most important "nuances" implemented, in order to make it feel like a car on tarmac. That's the problem with physics. And that's the difference between an arcade and a simulator.

for rally driver both Dirt or WRC or RBR would be alright... for game.
And i have seen on youtube, real drivers judging physics acuraccy, saying for example that Project Cars 2 is 85% realistic. So, is not that simple as "it feels alright, it doesn't feel alright". They can cleary feel and judge how close a game is to the real deal.

Last edited:
Hate to disturb this discussion, but how do I take DR 2.0 screenshots now, apart from F12 which is the Steam screenshots thingy?? Like this one:
VOuN4ns0.jpg

And strangely I don't have any DR 2.0 in my D: documents atm but I do have AC/ACC/Automobilista incl screenshots....

What happened with the update or am I crazy? (The latter is rhetorical)

Cheers
Robin

I haven't had a chance to try this update yet but I am hugely encouraged by many of the views expressed here. Personally I have enjoyed the handling in DiRT 2.0 from launch and it's a great all round game too.

Jimmy Broadbent is streaming MonteCarlo live right now.
He seems to think it feels better and was making comments that you could really feel the ice as the steering wheel would suddenly get very light.
He seemed to be striking political middle ground on this being DLC trying not to alienate anyone.

and was making comments that you could really feel the ice as the steering wheel would suddenly get very light
And the great thing is that with the ice and snow patches, you can actually feel and notice which wheel is on the snow/ice and which is on the tarmac, and the car responds accordingly. It feels exactly the same as if you hit a sudden snow/ice patch IRL.

Also, you can tell between ice, snow, wet and dry tarmac just from the FFB.

Yes but, there are main "nuances" and secondary "nuances". RBR, Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo and Assetto Corsa, all of them have the most important "nuances" implemented, and that's what make it feels like you're driving a car on tarmac, despite which one is closer to reality, or how many "nuances" are implemented in each one. The thing is that Dirt Rally 2.0 don't have the main or most important "nuances" implemented, in order to make it feel like a car on tarmac. That's the problem with physics. And that's the difference between an arcade and a simulator.

And i have seen on youtube, real drivers judging physics acuraccy, saying for example that Project Cars 2 is 85% realistic. So, is not that simple as "it feels alright, it doesn't feel alright". They can cleary feel and judge how close a game is to the real deal.
Sure, but if you don't exactly describe what's wrong to you, it doesn't add up to discussion. Its like saying 250 gto is ugly :p everything is turning into flame wars right away if you simply say "this is not realistic" and don't tell why. I tell my reason which i think why it isn't realistic. I agree with overly sliding, but also there's something else. (That weird latency and sideway movements apart from sliding). Or FWD cars are set up by default this way that they oversteer at every corner, and don't either understeer with braking or mashing the throttle. I've created very weird setup for Fulvia to finally pronounce the natural character of the car, with default set up it was just so weird and very confusing minding how such car should really handle.

Or FWD cars are set up by default this way that they oversteer at every corner, and don't either understeer with braking or mashing the throttle.
FWD do feel somewhat off to me in DR2 (not extremely, though), but I certainly would not say they oversteer at every corner (they do have varying amount of lift-off oversteer, though, which they should IMO, and seem to be set up to take advantage of it to help them turn, which I would also say makes sense). But they definitely understeer with braking, almost too much I would say - most of my crashes with FWD cars in the game are the result of exactly this, understeering off the road in the corner due to too much braking input.

FWD do feel somewhat off to me in DR2 (not extremely, though), but I certainly would not say they oversteer at every corner (they do have varying amount of lift-off oversteer, though, which they should IMO, and seem to be set up to take advantage of it to help them turn, which I would also say makes sense). But they definitely understeer with braking, almost too much I would say - most of my crashes with FWD cars in the game are the result of exactly this, understeering off the road in the corner due to too much braking input.
Liftoff oversteer is fine, but somehow i could just keep on pressing the throttle round the corner, and it started oversteering. But it was prior latest updates, so who knows. I'm again talking about Spainish stages btw. I feel more comfortable when i feel the inertia of the car more, not just lateral inertia, but longitudal too, which is imo quite little pronounced by default.

Just tried a Monte stage and oh yes the FFB feel for snow and ice is superb. The wheel transmits the feel of left, right side or all surface grip changes superbly. It's those same feelings anyone who has driven on snow and ice will know - the wheel weight goes light and the car moves in the direction of the weight until until some grip is found again. Also way the car moves as I try to apply power on snow and is spot on, the car feels like it is moving left and right on throttle, trying to find some purchase. Braking points are now as much visual - where the snow and ice isn't - as they are based on the co-driver corner calls. Sound also plays a huge part in this game, hearing the wheels locking under braking and the tyres struggling for traction are as much part of the sensation as in a real car.

Sure, but if you don't exactly describe what's wrong to you, it doesn't add up to discussion. Its like saying 250 gto is ugly :p everything is turning into flame wars right away if you simply say "this is not realistic" and don't tell why.

I don't know how to explain in a technical way, in RBR for example, the car feel stable and connected to the road, but when you lose grip it becomes very unpredictable and is hard to recover control, this is why you can't just slide every corner like in DR 2.0, try to slide every corner in RBR and you end up in a tree.

Also in DR 2.0 sometimes there is a horrendous rear shake feeling that i never felt in any other rally sim.

Finally !
I mean finally Dirt (this or the other one) series have reach Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo look of Monte Carlo stages. :sneaky: I kid you not... if you don't have that game, google a few pics of it. It was way ahead of it's time, swear to God.

Ok, don't bother, here's one video:
Game is on the left ! :D

21189401529_7166b1b83b_h.jpg

:inlove:
Btw, love the Monte in DR2. Looks and feels great.

I reinstalled SLRE given some of the comments in this thread and also being genuinely curious about how it compares (memory is not very reliable in this regard), did a few runs through the same Monte Carlo stage with the same car and I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the tarmac handling in the two games, except the SLRE tarmac might have a bit more grip overall. But I absolutely can tell a lot of difference in how the different surfaces feel, and here DR2 is miles ahead IMO. There's not that much difference between tarmac and snow in SLRE (just like in DR1) and the snow patches don't really affect the car all that much, while in DR2, you really have to pay a lot of attention to it and, again, it feels to me very much like I would expect it to feel. Which makes DR2 a lot more fun, and also a lot more challenging.

(And I saying this as someone who likes SLRE a lot, despite its many flaws.)

one thing I was trying to wrap my head around

MonteCarlo DLC was roughly $5
Skoda Fabia roughly $2

there are 3 stages planned ( inlcuing Monte Carlo) that's $15
if I they say I want 5 cars, it's $10,

and upgrade to Deluxe ( getting all DLC for free) is over $33

?
are there more DLCs planned later on ?

are there more DLCs planned later on ?
Yes. This is only half of the content included in the Deluxe:

DIRT_RALLY_2.0-CONTENT_SEASON1-v2-940x529.jpg

Second half (Season 2) will be also 3 new locations and similar amount of cars. The rumor has they won't be rally locations, but Rallycross (remaining tracks from the WRX calendar)

Codemasters has hinted, that support might continue into season 3 if the game and DLC proves popular. But that's not confirmed at all. And wouldn't probably be included in Deluxe anyway

@Robin_NL I don't think there's any in-game option to take screenshots, so you need some external option. Which is what you're likely already doing with that F12 key (because...see above). So where the screenshots are saved would depend on the application used and its settings.

Personally, I use MSI Afterburner for making screenshots. You can also make screenshots directly via Steam I believe, and if you have nVidia GPU, then through GeForce Experience as well. But there's plenty of other options.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%