DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 - Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0 Released.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 has been made available on all platforms today.

The much anticipated sequel to Codemasters DiRT Rally has been made available for all platforms today, releasing to the wider general public following four days of 'Early Access' release to owners of the deluxe edition of the game.

You can catch some early access videos of the new title on our YouTube channel HERE.

Want to know our thoughts on DiRT Rally 2.0? Read our review HERE.

As well as global launch, DiRT Rally 2.0 also has a robust DLC plan in store for players, that will see additional content added to the game in the coming weeks - details of which can be found below:

Dirt Season I:
x3 tracks
x5 cars
In-Game Bonuses
High reward events

Dirt Season II:
x3 tracks
x5 cars
In-Game Bonuses
High reward events

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available now.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to share your mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Regarding FFB, by Codemaster staff (their community manager) from official forums:

"Hi all,

Thanks for all of your feedback so far. Just to let you know, we're working on a patch to address some of the most pressing issues that have been raised here. As soon as I have notes on confirmed fixes, I'll share them with you ASAP.

We're also looking into FFB as a priority, as we're aware a lot of you have raised concerns about how this feels. However, we just want to make clear that there is no easy fix for this; anything we change will affect all vehicles, surfaces and peripherals, so we have to be very thorough to ensure any changes we make will be positive across the board.

Cheers,
Christina"

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34816-dirt-rally-20-v11-found-a-bug-post-it-here/?page=15

So, maybe something they should've worried about before launch... and before hurrying to sell old content out as DLC packs

Just tested AC Fiesta WRC mod at trento bondone uphill today and compared to DR 2 tarmac physics. In AC i feel like im really driving a car, i can feel the weight and the grip very well, just like in RBR and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo. But in DR 2 it feels like a hovercraft, light and very slippery. It killed the game for me. It's not only completely arcade, but also feels BAD.
Dirt Rally 1 tarmac may be not very realistic but didn't give this hovercraft feeling.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Wording confirms my initial suspicion, this was not a bug but intentional FFB behaviour.
Slim chance this will be fixed, they may add randomly generated road noise, but not proper surface effects.
But Iet's wait and hope for the best.

Took just over a week to post only that?

My theory about why the FFB feels the way it feels is that it is very much intentional and they've tuned the FFB according to what the drivers they worked with told them they feel IRL. And since (I assume) they mostly drive current rally cars which I would expect to have a fairly dampened feel through the wheel (with power steering, high tech suspension and all that), we now have FFB that is very representative of what you feel through the wheel in a real R5 car (or something similar), and that, while conveying the important forces very well, is kinda lacking from a simracer's perspective (or at least some).

And since the FFB is applied to all cars in the game, that also means we now have the "modern" FFB even in old cars where something more direct would likely be more appropriate.

Wording confirms my initial suspicion, this was not a bug but intentional FFB behaviour.
Slim chance this will be fixed, they may add randomly generated road noise, but not proper surface effects.

My theory about why the FFB feels the way it feels is that it is very much intentional and they've tuned the FFB according to what the drivers they worked with told them they feel IRL. And since (I assume) they mostly drive current rally cars which I would expect to have a fairly dampened feel through the wheel (with power steering, high tech suspension and all that), we now have FFB that is very representative of what you feel through the wheel in a real R5 car (or something similar), and that, while conveying the important forces very well, is kinda lacking from a simracer's perspective (or at least some).

And since the FFB is applied to all cars in the game, that also means we now have the "modern" FFB even in old cars where something more direct would likely be more appropriate.

To be fair, isn't the road noise all that is missing from the FFB? I have been paying attention to what i feel while driving around all week (volvo 240 with massive sidewalled tires, something like 175-75 r14). It's the "smaller" potholes, the sewer lids in the road, the rubber between 2 concrete slabs,... those things give me small vibrations in the steering. I had to concentrate on my hands to feel them because irl my whole body feels the dip and shudder of the car alot more than what happes in the steering wheel.
Someone on the forum suggested what i agree might be a good fix. A FFB lowest threshold, so that all FFB give at least this amount of rumble in the steeringwheel.

To be fair, isn't the road noise all that is missing from the FFB? I have been paying attention to what i feel while driving around all week (volvo 240 with massive sidewalled tires, something like 175-75 r14). It's the "smaller" potholes, the sewer lids in the road, the rubber between 2 concrete slabs,... those things give me small vibrations in the steering. I had to concentrate on my hands to feel them because irl my whole body feels the dip and shudder of the car alot more than what happes in the steering wheel.
Someone on the forum suggested what i agree might be a good fix. A FFB lowest threshold, so that all FFB give at least this amount of rumble in the steeringwheel.

First, once again (and again, and again...), the purpose of the FFB is not only to reproduce what you feel in the wheel of a real car, but also what you feel with your entire body. Removing those extra effects may make sense only if you've a dynamic seat.

Then, the suspension effects you're talking about is very low in DR2 but can be increased by tweaking a XML file. What is completely missing is the feedback of what the tires are doing. We don't feel at all when we lock tires under braking, when we understeer, when tires spin at the start or on turn exit if you put too much throttle (if you do a big tire spin under throttle in a straight line, you'll hear the engine over revving and going back to a lower rev when the tires gain back some grip, but absolutely nothing in the wheel).

Last edited:
To be fair, isn't the road noise all that is missing from the FFB?
That very much depends on who you're talking with. In my opinion yes, the FFB is very good as it is and the only thing it needs is to let more of the (already somewhat present) road noise and suspension feel through.

But that opinion is fairly unpopular and many disagree with it while throwing hissy fits about how the FFB is completely absent, broken and unusable and nothing but a complete rewrite can get it working, shame on you Codemasters and how can anyone keep denying the FFB doesn't work at all, bloody fanboys... :rolleyes: I mean don't even try to present an opinion like that in places like the official DR subreddit, you'll get downvoted to oblivion.

I've said before that IMO the FFB in DR2 is more of a nuanced thing with a lot of detail (I've compared it to FFB in AMS or rF2 and I still maintain that), but you have to pay attention to get that detail (or at least that's my explanation of why many people claim things are missing in the FFB that I can clearly feel just fine). While many others (I'm not saying all, just to point it out) seem to expect something that will shake your wheel like crazy and rip your hands off, something that will kinda "hit you over the head" with the information it conveys (as evidenced by all the supposed "fixes" that ramp up the FFB forces to not just 11, but more like 50). People often mention the original DR's FFB as being much better - I don't think I would agree. I think what we have in DR2 is in general better in pretty much all aspects, it just needs certain things tweaked a bit.

Spend some time into the spain stages and omg the road feel in tarmac is really light :( ... I hope they can do something about the tarmac feel.

https://gyazo.com/ed0a3305e500506416dd404db23eaa5e

This photo from the co-pilot recording thread pretty much sums up my thoughts on the games ffb.

Do I think the game is terrible? No
Personally, I think the ffb is on par with other console racers and there is more than enough detail to drive around and have fun with.
Asides from design choices the Audio, graphics and ai are all good. "I" just expected more from the physics/ffb and track degradation system.

Would I recommend this game to a casual gamer looking for rally game....absolutely!
Would I recommend this game to someone looking for a hardcore rally sim...maybe if an update improves things, but absolutely not in the current state.

I am more or less pissed at myself for going against my gut instincts and falling for the pre-launch hype that made it sound like Codemaster had produced the Holy grail of hardcore rally sims

(You know, I just find it funny how I was very skeptical of the game before it launched, and now I seem to be one of the few that really enjoy it and consider it a definite improvement over the original. I'm even thinking of getting that bloody season pass now...)

So. There is 2 cockpit views. in the other you can change fov but the other you cannot. Is there a way to change the fov in some game files?
Would like to use the one with full gears hud. But the fov is too high in that one ;(

@TeSL9 Not exactly what you were asking, but I would suggest using some kind of external dashboard if you can, on your phone for example. It's not an optimal solution and it would really be better if the game allowed the use of the HUD in the cockpit view, but since it doesn't, it seems like a better solution than relying on some hacks that will likely require editing the game files, meaning they might cause you issues with online. SimHub, for example, works great with DR2.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 248 13.5%