DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 | Lydden Hill DLC Delayed on PS4

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ahead of the next DiRT Rally 2.0 DLC release, Codemasters have confirmed Lydden Hill will be arriving a little later than planned for PS4 players of the game.

That's right, gamers enjoying DiRT Rally 2.0 on Sony's flagship gaming console are in for a little bit of disappointment this week, as the next new DLC content release - the Lyddon Hill rallycross circuit in Kent - is expected to become available for the title a little later than its PC and Xbox One counterparts.

No reason for the delay has been communicated by Codemasters, although the British development team have been keen to point out that they are working hard to minimise any delay to the shortest timeframe possible. Despite this unwelcome news for PS4 players, release on Xbox One and PC is still scheduled to hit the original release window tomorrow - little consolation for PlayStation owners I know, but in game development these things often rear their heads and cause surprises when they are least expected...

DiRT Rally Lyddon Hill DLC 2.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available now on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

If you have a question about the game, head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum and our friendly sim racing community will be sure to help you out!

DiRT Rally Lyddon Hill DLC 3.jpg

Someone at Codemasters sure loves their blue fog effect in the distance (even in so-called bright day conditions), many locations covered in it needlessly IMO. Makes the game look way crappier than it could (and it does look good at it's best).

Not evident in that screenshot though, but when you drive the track

Finland also covered in this effect
I'm not a psychologist, I don't know why, but it's very common to see how a lot of people think that dark and unreal tints with high contrast brings more realism to the scene. This is quite rare.

the haze(atmospheric damping) a trick i use in vue d'esprit a lot,2.0 qnd 3.1 it was 15 years ago,i sinds timber down the blue haze,even hollywood do that,but it is most unrealistic if apply at a 100 meter distance,it is pollution fog and a toxic one too ,like the orange one above cities from 1500 feet high (grenoble in france comes to mind) here in the hague i only see smoog from street level but we have wind

I'm not a psychologist, I don't know why, but it's very common to see how a lot of people think that dark and unreal tints with high contrast brings more realism to the scene. This is quite rare.

That kind of tricks make details more visual, and more crisp. It's not more realistic, but it looks better to our eyes, more used when real monitor HDR is a modern feature, and not yet well implemented. Real life it's a very high contrast image.

That kind of tricks make details more visual, and more crisp. It's not more realistic, but it looks better to our eyes, more used when real monitor HDR is a modern feature, and not yet well implemented. Real life it's a very high contrast image.
I totally disagree with that, that kind of lighting tricks are there to cover the lack of details, they just add a dramatic feel to the scene, that's all. Making a general lighting fx is faster than make all well polished, time is money.

Aerial perspective is a real thing, distant things appear more blue IRL when light scatters from air molecules.

But in Dirt Rally 2.0 it's way overdone (in many stages, Poland another offender... but oddly some stages are fine like Greece and Australia) and it hits way too strong/at too low distances.

It just looks cheap, like those old racing games where fog was used to hide the crappy draw distance/LOD popping and reduce stress on the potato hardware of the time. But DR 2.0 engine is perfectly capable of proper draw distance, Greece has this. They just choose to over-use the effect in some stages, makes Finland look really bad (and unrealistic)

Someone at Codemasters sure loves their blue fog effect in the distance (even in so-called bright day conditions), many locations covered in it needlessly IMO. Makes the game look way crappier than it could (and it does look good at it's best).

Not evident in that screenshot though, but when you drive the track

Finland also covered in this effect

I find that having bloom enabled exaggerate the effect pretty severely at Lydden. For some reason TAA was reverted to 'on' in this update as well. It doesn't make the fog go away, but turning off bloom/TAA at least made it look better.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 378 39.6%