DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 encourages UK gamers to STAY HOME SAVE LIVES

The UK Government's Department for Culture, Media, and Sport has partnered with major UK-based game companies to spread a message aimed at aiding people through the current coronavirus crisis. The DCMS reveals these messages are already present in Candy Crush Saga, Sniper Elite 4, Farm Heroes, and DiRT Rally 2.0.

Toby Evan-Jones, VP Business Development at Codemasters, says

"At Codemasters we came to realise that technology within our games, which enables the remote updating of banners within the virtual environment, could be repurposed to assist with the Coronavirus communication effort. This week, through collaboration with Bidstack Group PLC (providers of the ad-replacement infrastructure), we began delivering a version of Public Health England’s ‘Stay Home Save Lives’ message into DiRT Rally 2.0. It’s fantastic to see conversations already being sparked amongst our community."​

If you live in the UK and play DiRT Rally 2.0, you've probably already noticed the in-game banners echoing the government line "STAY HOME SAVE LIVES".

As revealed in a statement to the BBC, Codemasters hope to extend this initiative to display information from local public safety messages geo-targeted to European and American players.

Source: GOV.UK DCMS
DiRT Rally 2.0 is available now on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Are you playing DiRT Rally 2.0 right now?
Why not STAY HOME SAVE LIVES while meeting new friends in our excellent DiRT Rally 2.0 subforum?

I appreciate the sentiment. However, given that people are already ignoring all the TV ads, the radio ads, the Spotify ads, the newspaper ads, the billboards and the electronic road signs, I don't really think that this is going to make much of a difference. I mean, those playing DiRT Rally aren't the problem anyway since they're already staying at home!

What we need is more affirmative action against those who think the rules don't apply to them, not more ignorable messages.

Telling the one demographic of people who are not known for venturing outside their goblin caves to continue staying indoors via in-game ads which you can only see when you're already inside your house strapped to a sim rig, very cool of you Codies.

4kkl1fay0e431.jpg

Gopher04

Premium
It would be impossible to enforce action on the ones outside all the time, when I see relatives of, and the member of the force flaunting the rules all the time.
I got stopped when I was on my bike the other day, asked why I was out on it, I'm not a lover of the Police force, so I said 'thought I'd give you something you might actually catch for a change' which didn't go down well..never mind, anyway they allowed me to carry on and finish.

@Torcano Imagine seeing dozens of people all over the internet already whining and complaining about some honest effort to at least somehow help with all the shitty stuff happening right now, with the majority of them being dead serious about it too.

Yep, we do indeed live in the 2020s, you're absolutely correct there. Yours, the edgelord.

safi hellie

@Simberia
So you are at home, playing on a game indoors........ and something tells you to 'stay home'....

Nice idea...but wrong demographic to tackle. Many hardcore gamers have been self isolating for decades already!

Great way to get exposure for your game though.

I'm still amazed how internet (and by this I mean people on internet) can transform ANY good initiative in something wrong, bad, ugly or annoying.
I think this initiative it is a VERY good thing, because a lot of teenagers, play a little and than, guess what? They are bored and go OUTSIDE. This is not targeted to those who understand the risk, and understand which is their civic duty. But, also those who stay home, must have some understanding, and let the message reach the people who do not understand and maybe change something. Criticizing this action you don't help anybody.
#stayathome

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000