DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Dev Insight Series Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Looking to give fans a little more 'behind the scenes' info on the upcoming DiRT Rally 2.0, Codemasters have revealed the first episode of the new 'Dev Insight Series' of videos...

Never shy to make the odd video or two, Codemasters have today released a brand new look at what goes on behind the scenes with the development of the work in progress DiRT Rally 2.0 racing title. The new video is the first in a proposed series of releases focussed on DiRT 2.0, and takes a look at some of the people involved in the making of the game, and shares some insights into what the team hope to achieve with this upcoming title.

As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, this is just the first release in what has been planned to be a series of video insights, with future editions expected to reveal more about the game and how it differs from the original DiRT Rally, what players can expect to experience when they get on stage, and no doubt plenty more as they build up to release next February.

Directly from Codemasters:

Ever since we started working on DiRT Rally 2.0, we were very clear in what we wanted to achieve and how we wanted to achieve it. Our new dev insight series is all about lifting the lid on how we’ve gone about making DiRT Rally 2.0 and will give you insight into some of the improvements we’ve made from the original DiRT Rally – and more importantly, how that will play out when you’re out on a rally stage or an RX track.

This first episode covers two vital components for DiRT Rally 2.0 – the team behind it, and what we’re trying to achieve with DiRT Rally 2.0. Our subsequent episodes will cover all sorts of exciting things like surface degradation, tyre choice, our new locations, handling, and loads more – so stay tuned to all of the usual channels for these sneak peeks behind the scenes of DiRT.

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

DiRT Rally 2.0 Insight.jpg

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Did you enjoy the latest video from Codies? Looking forward to finding out more about DR2.0? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

It also helps that Dirt Rally was a far superior driving title than Dirt 4. It just goes to show, you mess up the title, you cannot expect to enjoy the benefits of the previous one. Here's a little hint for Codemasters, make Dirt Rally, but better. You cannot expect to leave features out of subsequent games and garner the same praise or sales numbers as the one that was a hit.

Just a thought.

They're not dead but the simple fact is all of the major players (including their first DR title) in sim racing support VR. It's a niche product but very widespread in the sim racing world. People have completely moved away from monitors to the point they don't even have one attached to their rig such is the viability for VR in this type of game.

People have completely moved away from monitors
I don't agree with this. A lot of simmers purchased Triples between 2013-15 and have spent their dollars upgrading components in their potatoes, so a lot are still running Triples as the cost to just abandon them are high. They weren't cheap. Nor has top end GPU's and memory been cost friendly..I would say (me at least) most are waiting for VR to mature and come down in price.

People have completely moved away from monitors

That should have been written "Some people have completely moved away from monitors". My point was that some people that race in VR have removed their screens entirely from their rig, making titles that do not support VR absolutely worthless. Hence the "no VR, no buy" comments. Meaning literally they cannot use the product so they cannot and will not buy it.

I use VR but have also owned triples. I speak from a matter of principle. If you refuse to add features that are fast becoming standard and expected in racing titles, don't make a racing title. Their goal should be to sell as many units as possible. This requires a good game. It also requires you to listen to your customer base (you know, those people that give you money so you can continue to run your business?) and provide the features that they expect in order for them to part from their dollars.

It should NOT be a case of, "let's see how much we can get away with doing while still making as much money as possible."

I miss my triples sometimes but the benefits of VR in sim racing are very hard to ignore. Especially once it's set up right and you're comfortable with it.

With my usual great timing, I purchased triple screens shortly before VR was released. One try of a friends VR and I immediately purchased VR and dismantled the triples. I could not go back and therefore even though I am an avid DiRT Rally fan, because DiRT Rally 2.0 will not have VR support I will regrettably have to miss out.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. So CM are turning their back on part of their DR series loyal fan base and potential customers. They must be confident they will pick up new customers who didn't buy DR but will buy DR2.0.

Is VR that good as so many people complain (No VR No Buy) Yet to try it.
So Monitors from 24" to 32" + Triple Screens are dead?
Yes it is. You are literally sitting in the car. There is just no going back after getting used to this. It's pretty much comparable to the switch from gamepad racing to simracing with a wheel. After getting accustomed to race with a wheel, there is just no going back to a controller.
With VR it's pretty much the same..I tried to get back to Forza 7, because i bought it for 70 bucks one week before i got VR. I tried to have fun with WRC 7 (big WRC fan and subscriber)..i forced myself to play those titles on a screen, but quickly realized that it's just no fun anymore. I also stopped with Automobilista although i absolutely enjoyed the online races in it..
That's why any title without VR is useless for the vast majority of people who are used to racing in VR.
A racing game without VR is pretty much the same like a racing game without wheel support.
Codemaster not realizing that just shows that it's an incompetent game studio

Is VR that good as so many people complain (No VR No Buy) Yet to try it.
So Monitors from 24" to 32" + Triple Screens are dead?

I recently got into sim racing a have gone a bit mental with the gear. I built a decent PC and bought the HTC Vive Pro. I have never used VR before and had a few weeks of iRacing on a single screen under my belt. I loaded up iRacing and put on the headset. I was expecting to be a bit underwhelmed because of all the 'screen door' and low res comments. I was bracing myself for buyers remorse to kick in.

It's hard to describe how cool it is. I was so impressed I got my whole family to try it. It blows my mind. Even now after a few weeks of using it. It's that awesome. Then I tried Dirt Rally in VR. Thats another level again.

When the resolution is 4k+ it's going to change everything. VR and AR are the future for sure. People will be walking around all day with AR glasses on.

I am a diehard motorsport fan but think that VR and sim racing will kill real motorsport for weekend warriors.

A racing game without VR is pretty much the same like a racing game without wheel support.

Not really. VR is still in its infancy and comes with plenty of compromises. I have tried racing in VR and the simple heat and weight of the device makes it uncomfortable to do a proper 1-2 hour race. Same thing with resolution and field of view, lots to improve still to get an uncompromised experience. The next few years are IMO critical as VR headset sales have pretty much stalled and Oculus has yet again delayed their next-gen VR headset.

I recently got into sim racing a have gone a bit mental with the gear. I built a decent PC and bought the HTC Vive Pro. I have never used VR before and had a few weeks of iRacing on a single screen under my belt. I loaded up iRacing and put on the headset. I was expecting to be a bit underwhelmed because of all the 'screen door' and low res comments. I was bracing myself for buyers remorse to kick in.

It's hard to describe how cool it is. I was so impressed I got my whole family to try it. It blows my mind. Even now after a few weeks of using it. It's that awesome. Then I tried Dirt Rally in VR. Thats another level again.

When the resolution is 4k+ it's going to change everything. VR and AR are the future for sure. People will be walking around all day with AR glasses on.

I am a diehard motorsport fan but think that VR and sim racing will kill real motorsport for weekend warriors.

I use triples and I'm thinking about getting the Oculus (or WMR) for this Christmas (or black friday) So I borrowed an Oculus DK2 from a friend just to try the "next big thing" (and also to find out if it makes me sick). It is really an amazing thing every simracer has to try at least once... but it's not perfect. I tried Dirt Rally and had to stop after 5min because I was getting a kind of vertigo in my stomach on every jump... I still have to adjust the game as even with triples and a wide FOV I felt some discomfort but I'm fine when I play on triples and standard FOV adjustment...

Resolution is still low and when looking at a distant object you notice the screen door effect quite a lot (although I guess you get used to it) but the good thing is that it takes you "there". The first car I tried was the MP4/8 on rF2 and I "felt" the sun on my head and even when you drive through tyre smoke you seem to smell it (but this will probably happens only the first time, lol). Compared to triples I don't think I'm that much faster yet... although when driving a go-kart I really noticed some improvement as you have more spatial awareness and can take more tight lines.

Not really. VR is still in its infancy and comes with plenty of compromises. I have tried racing in VR and the simple heat and weight of the device makes it uncomfortable to do a proper 1-2 hour race. Same thing with resolution and field of view, lots to improve still to get an uncompromised experience. The next few years are IMO critical as VR headset sales have pretty much stalled and Oculus has yet again delayed their next-gen VR headset.
You didn't understand the context. The context in what I was writing this is, that for everyone who uses VR, missing VR support is worse or at least equally bad then missing wheel support.
That said, more people use VR then a racing wheel. So your argument is not valid either way.

Plenty of compromises? Well, there are some but surely not plenty.
Heat and weight? I don't know which device you used, but the Oculus is so light that I have never felt any weight. There is some heat, but unless it hits close to 30°C, that's not really an issue. It's surely lighter, less heat-developing and more comfortable then a real racing helmet. I guess it all depends on how real you want it. If you're more the typical couch potato controller gamer, who just wants to have some casual fun (nothing wrong with that, my best friend is this kind of gamer and we respect each others opinion), this might be an issue. If you want to get as close as possible to real racing, it's not an issue at all.

Resolution and FOV are surely not perfect, but they will get better over time. But with first Gen headsets like Oculus, Vive Pro or Samsung Odyssey they are alright (Vive and PSVR are to blurry IMHO), even better with some healthy supersampling. The FOV (110°) isn't that much less then wearing a real racing helmet. With the gen 2 headsets (well, the Pimax so far, but there are surely coming more), both those issues are mostly solved. Visibility of gauges in a Pimax 8k is better then with a 1080p screen.

VR doesn't have to become mainstream to get better, that's what many people don't understand. Sim racing is not mainstream, sim flying is not mainstream, and still every year, there are new high end racing wheel, joysticks or pedals coming out. Same happens with VR. The industries invest more then enough money into the technology, the consumer is not needed for further development. I don't think VR will become mainstream in the next few years (it will happen, but not so soon), but that doesn't mean it's not an awesome experience.

You didn't understand the context. The context in what I was writing this is, that for everyone who uses VR, missing VR support is worse or at least equally bad then missing wheel support.
That said, more people use VR then a racing wheel. So your argument is not valid either way.

Plenty of compromises? Well, there are some but surely not plenty.
Heat and weight? I don't know which device you used, but the Oculus is so light that I have never felt any weight. There is some heat, but unless it hits close to 30°C, that's not really an issue. It's surely lighter, less heat-developing and more comfortable then a real racing helmet. I guess it all depends on how real you want it. If you're more the typical couch potato controller gamer, who just wants to have some casual fun (nothing wrong with that, my best friend is this kind of gamer and we respect each others opinion), this might be an issue. If you want to get as close as possible to real racing, it's not an issue at all.

Resolution and FOV are surely not perfect, but they will get better over time. But with first Gen headsets like Oculus, Vive Pro or Samsung Odyssey they are alright (Vive and PSVR are to blurry IMHO), even better with some healthy supersampling. The FOV (110°) isn't that much less then wearing a real racing helmet. With the gen 2 headsets (well, the Pimax so far, but there are surely coming more), both those issues are mostly solved. Visibility of gauges in a Pimax 8k is better then with a 1080p screen.

VR doesn't have to become mainstream to get better, that's what many people don't understand. Sim racing is not mainstream, sim flying is not mainstream, and still every year, there are new high end racing wheel, joysticks or pedals coming out. Same happens with VR. The industries invest more then enough money into the technology, the consumer is not needed for further development. I don't think VR will become mainstream in the next few years (it will happen, but not so soon), but that doesn't mean it's not an awesome experience.

Sure, there might be more VR sets out there than steering wheels, but when it comes to sim racing specifically there are much more steering wheels than VR sets.

To be honest I don't think VR will be mainstream at all. There are very few type of games that utilizes it naturally. It's perfect when you sit in a static cockpit like in racing/rally and flight sims. Other than that it just gimmick type of games that are built specifically for VR that comes off more like small tech demos than anything else.

I owned a Rift for a couple of weeks but sold it. The feeling of being in the car is impressive, but the resolution is just too limited for me personally.

To be honest I don't think VR will be mainstream at all. There are very few type of games that utilizes it naturally. It's perfect when you sit in a static cockpit like in racing/rally and flight sims. Other than that it just gimmick type of games that are built specifically for VR that comes off more like small tech demos than anything else.

I owned a Rift for a couple of weeks but sold it. The feeling of being in the car is impressive, but the resolution is just too limited for me personally.
I tend to disagree on the only cockpit part. I am playing first person shooters as well..or "adventure" games like Lone Echo, which is absolutely brilliant. Playing Onward quite often with a buddy, and it's that far now, that we have lost interest in Screen shooters all together (we used to play Arma and alike). I think it's just brilliant actually holding the gun and having to really aim instead of just pointing the mouse curser on spot XY.

May i ask if you used supersampling? Just because most people who have this argument about resolution played in native resolution, and then i would agree, the resolution is not acceptable.

If VR becomes mainstream, i am not sure, but i am not too fussed at the same time. Seeing what already gen 2 (Pimax) can do, i am more then happy. In a year or so the Pimax 8k+ is coming out, it will last at least 10 years anyway, until you can run that thing in full FOV and full resolution.

Heat and weight? I don't know which device you used, but the Oculus is so light that I have never felt any weight.
How long your VR sessions usually are?
I've been using Beyerdynamic DT880 pro studio headphones for hours awhile back, and they developed huge neck pain which is still bothersome sometimes.
And those are 295g. Rift is 470g.
VR is awesome, don't get me wrong.
But don't underestimate the side effects being blinded by how good it is, especially when you advise it to other people. If one has concerns of extra weight on his head causing pain, don't deny it please based on your experience. It's not anti-VR rant, it can be serious health issue. Especially VR being the object that is shifting weight on the head from the natural position.

How long your VR sessions usually are?
I've been using Beyerdynamic DT880 pro studio headphones for hours awhile back, and they developed huge neck pain which is still bothersome sometimes.
And those are 295g. Rift is 470g.
VR is awesome, don't get me wrong.
But don't underestimate the side effects being blinded by how good it is, especially when you advise it to other people. If one has concerns of extra weight on his head causing pain, don't deny it please based on your experience. It's not anti-VR rant, it can be serious health issue. Especially VR being the object that is shifting weight on the head from the natural position.

My VR sessions have been quite different in length, everything from 20minutes to 4 hours.
No offence, but I think if 295g are causing a neck pain, it's definitely not the headphones which cause the pain. It's rather a medical condition that gets slightly amplified by the headphones. 500g on the head should never cause any issue by itself, there are several jobs out there, where people wear quite a bit more then 500g on the head on a daily basis (racing driver, construction worker, factory worker, and hundreds more) without having problems.

If you get neck pain you should go to the gym or do home exercises for neck strengthening (I did the same for my lower back and it worked wonders).
But that's not a point where you should blame VR. I mean, people get tendosynovitis from excessive mouse using, and no one advices against using a mouse and stop playing shooters.

If you get neck pain you should go to the gym or do home exercises for neck strengthening (I did the same for my lower back and it worked wonders).
But that's not a point where you should blame VR. I mean, people get tendosynovitis from excessive mouse using, and no one advices against using a mouse and stop playing shooters.

Nah, I'm not advicing against VR. I'm not advicing the "it'll be fine" attitude, that's all.
Well, I've been using them up to 8 - 9 hr straight sometimes, then yeah I started working out this area better, but was too late by then. And the headphones don't really shift weight forward, and with VR you are constantly working your muscle just to keep the head from tilting forward.
Hell, you better be cautious even with your position behind the wheel. Last rig I've been building, I've got my seat position an inch lower than it should be, and it was fine until I heard a loud click in my hand while steering under some heavy force feedback. That caused a pain in joint for month or so! Raised the seat an inch, and it never happens again.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back