Dirt Mounds and Ditches, Slippin' and Slidin' at LRP in the 70's.

Big Bend.jpg

Dirt Mounds and Ditches, Slippin' and Slidin' at LRP in the 70's.

The opening picture of today’s installment shows Big Bend, also known as Turns 1 and 2 at Lime Rock Park race track, as it exists today. Just look at all that lush green Connecticut, USA countryside. No matter how they change the track, they can never change the beauty of the hills that surround the oldest road racing track in the good ol' US of A. As pretty as it is in the summer, LRP is even more beautiful in the fall.

Those familiar with LRP back in the 70’s will easily note the changes that have occurred since Skip Barber, owner-operator of the Skip Barber Racing School, bought and re-built entire the facility back in 1985. The run-off area outside of T1 has been paved. In the old days all we had was an escape road, an extension of the main straight, that might have helped a driver who might be going a bit too fast at the entry, but not much at all if you went off near the center of Big Bend. Gone from the entire course are acres of slippery green grass, large dirt mounds and ditches that used to stop cars which had broken loose from the tarmac.

… soanyoldways … a couple weeks ago in the Paddock Club of the Premium Members Forum, we explored some of the oddities that could be found at the old Bridgehampton Race Track: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/bridgehampton-race-track-something-unusual-in-photo.147544/ . If you are not a Premium Member, why not join now and not miss any of the conversations. This week we’re going to look at some of the … interesting … and maybe dangerous characteristics found at the old Lime Rock Park racing circuit. Like big dirt mounds in run-off areas, drainage ditches (again … right where cars can run off) and, last but not least … all that lush green grass. Slipperier than Andy Granatelli’s STP … even in the dry, and way slicker than Slick 50 in the wet! That green, green grass is the topic of this week’s installment.

Back during the 1970’s and 80’s I was able to get press and photo passes which allowed me to take photos much closer to the action than spectators normally get. Please note that by this time, I had a lot of experience working flag stations and knew to speak with the crew working the corners and follow their directions very carefully. I have a bunch of pictures old racing tracks from back in the 70’s and 80’s. Unfortunately, almost all of the stuff that survived one or another of my divorces exists in the form of 35mm slides and negatives which take a bit of work to search through. I haven’t seen many of these pictures since the Ronald Wilson Reagan Presidency.

There is a virtual version of Lime Rock available for Assetto Corsa, which is the only Sim I race on. Unfortunately, this mod replicates the NEW facility that Skip Barber built after he bought the place in 1985. Barber added a bunch of new, fancy buildings … and some sort of footbridge just before Big Bend, the first two turns of the track. The track layout has also been changed a bit notably with the installation of a chicane bypassing the hump after T5 put in to keep the really fast cars from taking off and flying away among other things. Considering the changes that have been made, LRP sure ain’t the track that Sam Posey broke the sub-60 second barrier in a McLaren CanAm car back in 19 and 67. That was big news back in the day, but now? Almost all cars racing at LRP are turning times below 60 seconds routinely these days. True, improvements in brakes and tires account for the faster lap times, but folks who know the old track remember just why it was they named the front straight after Sam Posey.

To refresh myself, I took a drive on the AC version I have of LRP and was amazed at the difference that 40 years makes. I did make note of all the changes that have been made in the interest of safety, but, for the record … I rather liked the way the track was back then, and hope that one day some modder will take the time to put together a version from the 1970’s. But that’s just me I guess.

The following series of photos are from a Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National (i.e., a big nationwide event, not a small regional one. America is a BIG country) race held at Lime Rock Park Race Track (Connecticut, US and A) on a VERY rainy weekend back in 1978. Please Note: I had NO motor drive on my old 35mm Canon TLB SLR camera … so I did miss a couple shots.

First, some background. Bob Sharp established a pretty good racing team back in the 1960's, racing what was known in the US at the time as Datsun's ... for the US market, the Nissan name would come later. He had good success racing various Datsun sedans and 1600cc or 2000 cc Fairlady (from the movie, My Fair Lady ... GTS!) roadsters. After Bob sharp broke his wrist in a crash at LRP, he retired from driving and had a number of guys driving for him, Sam Posey and Elliott Forbes-Robinson come to mind, but Paul Leonard Newman took over all the driving for the team about 1976.

It was raining pretty hard that day, and the mist prevented me getting a decent picture of the start. Newman had gridded up on the pole, and the other Datsun on the front row was driven by a fellow by the name of Don Devendorf, if I remember correctly, but it was 40 years ago. Heck … It could be ANYBODY.

The first photo shows PLN just after the green flag dropped. You can just make out the nose of the P2 car poking its nose in the right side of the first photo as they enter Big Bend.

PLN 1.jpg

Now, to be honest, there should be a photo here showing the P2 car coming into the picture, hitting PLN and startin’ all the drama. But I wasn't expecting that to happen ... and I totally missed that shot.

None-the less, the second photo shows the two cars tangled up and spinning.

PLN 2.jpg

Remember all that lush green grass? When it was dry, it was REAL slippery. When it was wet ... well hell, I've seen cars slide SO hard, and SO fast and SO far ... they disappear in all those bushes and slide almost all the way to the Housatonic River, which is very nearly 5 miles away!

The third photo shows car two hitting the dirt mound after sliding all that distance.

PLN 3.jpg

Of COURSE, Newman hit him … no photo needed.

Immediately after Newman hits this guy and pounds him into the dirt mound, he backs up ... works his way over the slick grass back onto the track and takes off after the pack, but now is second to last. And then the race got REAL interesting. Newman took off and drove, as they say, “like a man possessed”. Within 8 laps he worked his way back up front and was challenging for the lead … when he got hit passing a back-marker and knocked off the track again... in very nearly the same place.

Regaining the track, he eventually finished ... with a 3rd place! In a downpour.

Yeah ... no kidding. Newman was THAT good.

Sometimes getting closer to the action with a camera or working as a corner worker wasn't all that good of an idea. I was once part of a flag station that got overrun by an orange Porsche 914 which had broken a left lower ball joint at speed. Fortunately no harm was done, and the Porsche only suffered minor scratches. In the sequence below, we see a Formula Ford the driver of which had a moment with another open-wheeler coming out of Big Bend. The sharp-eyed among us will note that the driver is looking and turning into the direction of the slide, and very much string-straight towards me and the course workers I was huddled up with.

Ford Slide 1.jpg

To his credit, the driver was able to get the Ford pointed in the right direction relative to the track, but he was unable to overcome the sheer weight of Newton's First Law of Motion, which predicts that Formula Fords and everything else will remain in motion at the same speed and the same direction until acted upon by another force or object. In this instance, a dirt berm with a drainage ditch in front of it kept the car from sliding through the flag station I was standing with. Other recently made tire tracks are visible in the grass show that this Ford was not the only car that made this trip.

Ford Slide 2.jpg

In the above instance, the Formula Ford got away with no damage whatsoever, but not everyone who tangled with the slick grass and dirt berms of Lime Rock were so lucky. The Spitfire below went off at The Downhill (Turn 7) and tapped a mound outside of that corner.

Crunched Spit.jpg

Pre Kittens.jpg

Finally, the slick grass, dirt mounds and drainage ditches were not the only hazards to be found off track at LRP. The corner workers above are cleaning up what had been a 3 car tangle coming out of T5 (The Uphill) onto the Back Straight. After all the crunched cars and chagrined drivers have been moved to the pits, the course workers begin to return to their stations, when suddenly one of them yells out "Hey look, KITTENS!!!"

KITTENS.jpg

Does anyone else have memories or photos they'd like to share of Lime Rock Park before 1985 they'd like to share? Perhaps we could get a modder/track builder to put together an old version of the track for Assetto Corsa.

BTW, Premium Members are already commenting on this article HERE. Why not join them and be part of the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a Screenshot Sunday for vintage styled pics at Lime Rock Park now.

GREAT idea!!!!:):thumbsup:

How about an entire Race Department Vintage LRP Slide Show!!! And not something pulled off the internet either ... real first person stuff with the slide to prove it. I bet there are gangs of old guys here with unbelievable back-in-the-day 35mm slides .. and it's a safe bet too. Back in the 1960's & 70's every car guy I knew ... was also a camera guy. And ... if you take a LOT of pictures of cars ... you waste a lot of shots ... so it was cheaper to have 35mm slide film processed than anything else. Every car guy I ever knew, had a 35mm SLR hanging from his neck any time he was around cars. I still have two Canon bodies and a bunch of lenses in a closet somewhere ...

Last edited:
Another great article ! Thank you.

Say... was that
Paul Leonard Newman
THAT Paul Newman ?
Ok, I outGoogle it - it's him. Wow, cool, didn't knew he was that fast. Leonard hmm... :)

Ronald Wilson Reagan
Oh you really do love middle names huh. :D I didn't even know his middle name was :O_o: "Wilson".
You just ruined a memory of the greatest president ever for me Ted. Now I'll always picutured
owen-wilson-foto-biografia.jpg
this guy
when I hear "Ronald Reagan". :unsure:

:laugh:

Made a few trips down there myself back when I was a member of our local BMWCCA Club. I remember one where they had Jim Clarks winning Indy 500 car #82 I think it was. Its a great place to wander around watching the different corners, without really having to walk very far at all.
Then of course is the town ordnance of no racing on Sundays because of noise, which is a bit of a puzzle since they also complained of gun shooting noise but never made up any or laws against that.
But its a great place to watch the vintage cars.

@Ted Duncan Jr thank you for this amazing story and pictures and the work you put into writing it...

I wish I could have seen some of these events back in the day, but as I was only born in 1982 in Germany so I unfortunately really missed the golden days of racing.

My dad infected me with the car-bug and we got some old Alfas and go to car shows quite often. It's always amazing to listen to old stories.

Last year we met Christian Geistdörfer (Co Driver of Walter Röhl) on one of those events - my dad had told me that he knew him, but never how close they actually knew each other. When we met him he directly remembered my dad and he told some great stories from back in the day....

At another event I also once heard an amazing story about a 96hour race that once was run on the Nordschleife from a guy that took part in a Autodelta tuned Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider...

There are so many amazing stories out there - so if you have more, please share them!

In the meantime, thank god for the people that still maintain old cars and for sims like Assetto Corsa which at least allow us to "recreate" some of these "good old days". BTW. If there is a vote to recreate an historic or a new version of a track, I definitely will go for the historic version.

Last edited:
Don Devendorf...I have not heard that name in years. I remember he was a Sharp driver, teammate of Newman and was fairly successful, but I think the last time I saw him race was Long Beach in '78. I did not know he was the one who started Electromotive.

Ahhh...the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Nissans were called Datsuns, the only driver assist was between the ears...I don't know if "those were the days" but they were certainly my days as a kid.

This was WELL before my time, but I can't wait to be there in May for the Pirelli World Challenge. Looking forward to all of the new GT4 Audis and AMG's.

Another great article ! Thank you.

Say... was that

THAT Paul Newman ?
Ok, I outGoogle it - it's him. Wow, cool, didn't knew he was that fast. Leonard hmm... :)

Oh you really do love middle names huh. :D I didn't even know his middle name was :O_o: "Wilson".
You just ruined a memory of the greatest president ever for me Ted. Now I'll always picture
owen-wilson-foto-biografia.jpg

this guy when I hear "Ronald Reagan". :laugh:

PLN helmet.jpg

PLN ... like it sez on the helmet ... and yessir ... Paul Newman sure was fast, but not when he started racing. Newman was was no natural born alien, Sam Posey says that Newman was TERRIBLE when he started racing. But with a LOT of hard work and some pretty good coaching PLN turned into a very good racer.

IMHO, Ronald Wilson Reagan is one of our greatest presidents. I use a man's full name out of respect to honor him. Having said that, I have no idea who that blonde fellow is. :rolleyes:

Of course he was the one of the greatest, hell there's even a term "Reaganing" for those who manage to have full 24 hours without making a single misstep. :cool:
An achievement I can't produce to even single 10 minutes sim race.
I'm so way of my own very first Reaganing. :unsure:

Re(a)garding:rolleyes: the PLN... wasn't that familiar with his actual racing skills but I loved his Indycar team, always been fond of them and imho this
may-1996-actor-and-team-owner-paul-newman-looks-on-from-the-pits-as-picture-id232560

was one of the best Indycar liveries, ever. And one of the best racing car livery in general. :inlove:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%