DiRT 5 DiRT 5 Announced - Launch Scheduled For October

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
All has become clear as Codemasters confirm their new off road racing title is... DiRT 5!

Yes, the teaser has become an announcement, with Codies confirming the fifth instalment of their DiRT franchise is in the works and expected to launch towards the end of the year.

China_4W.jpg

The full press release:

DIRT 5’s global journey takes in some of the most thrilling, exotic, and picturesque settings such as New York City and Rio de Janeiro alongside challenging events in remote areas of Greece and China. Players will experience the thrill of in-your-face extreme racing in a variety of vehicle classes from buggies, unlimited trucks, and rock bouncers to traditional and modern rally cars.

The expansive narrative-driven Career is bigger in every way with event types and challenges across some of the toughest terrain. Before hitting the track, get creative using the livery editor, with more customisation options than any previous DIRT game. DIRT 5 features a non-linear progression path, so players can choose more of the events they want.

DIRT 5 heralds the return of split-screen for up to four players. The full list of game modes will be announced shortly, including a new game mode focused on creativity and designed for social couch play with friends or global online battles against the best racers in the DIRT universe.

DIRT 5 also boasts a roster of voice talent led by the iconic Nolan North and Troy Baker. Together, and in their unique style, the dynamic duo guide and mentor players through the Career mode and feature in the DIRT in-game podcast series, including the voice talents of other celebrities from the worlds of racing and gaming.

“As a studio, we are big fans of DiRT 2 and 3. This game is our homage: a bigger, amplified DIRT off-road experience in a setting that is alive, challenging and fun,” said Robert Karp, DIRT 5 Development Director at Codemasters. “Whether you want to compete against the AI on some of the world’s most challenging environments or play a four-player split-screen game with your friends, DIRT 5 has you covered.”​
DiRT 5 will be available October 2020 on the Xbox and PlaStation family of consoles and PC, with Google Stadia to follow.

Keep your eye out in the DiRT 5 sub forum here at RD - a perfect place to discuss the game.

New_York_1W.jpg
Norway_2W.jpg
Norway_6W.jpg

Last edited:
Something about some of the replies to this thread really rubs me the wrong way. I'm really baffled why people feel they need to signal how "adult" they are by declaring certain games as "for kids" just because they aren't intended to be a every-millimeter-mapped-to-precision simulation.

I remember how much I enjoyed DiRT and DiRT 2 years ago, and that enjoyment doesn't come at the cost of not being able to appreciate or drive fast when driving in a more granular simulation either. Both are different and unique products and comparing them based on something one never claimed to be is not a good measurement of anything. They have different niches they are trying to fill, different audiences, and it's really immature to try to show how grown up and cool one is by slagging other racing games off.

We're all here racing pretend racing cars with no G forces or real physical effort: you're not more cool or advanced just because you happen to race in a pretend racing car that's marginally closer to reality. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy without feeling you have the need to rub it in their face that you snobbishly only race in "proper" sims.

Sim racing elitism is a lose-lose strategy for everyone in the long run.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I agree with you: everyone is free to choose! Arcade, Semi-Arcade, Sim.
In fact, Codemasters does his games for those who like them without worrying too much about whether they are arcade or sim.
I do not agree with you when you say that playing sim games is a long-term loser strategy.
iRacing, rFactor, AC and ACC, these are on the market since many years, and they also seem to be very profitable.

Why did they tease this in a cryptic way? What possible reason could there ever be to cryptic tease a series that never stopped in the first place? I expect "Dirt 73" when im around 80 years old or so.

Looks full arcade, like Forza Horizon.

Great example of the average simracing pleb right here.

This is a retro full arcade racer

This is a modern full arcade racer

Both great games for what they are.

Now tell me, how similar is Dirt 5 to this?

The footage we got from Gamespot shows me the classic pre-Rally/GRID type handling - simplified, less nuanced driving model but one still clearly within the realms of the Earth's physics and vehicle dynamics. Pretty much a staple of Codemasters games as well as the Horizon games, and certainly not "full arcade".

My opinion here

Dirt was the most fun driving game I have ever played, Dirt 3 was not bad either. Dirt 4 was abysmal.

Make it a fun game again, easy online mode, I played it forever on PS3

But then look what they did with DR2, they made a tricky game in 1 then spent two years making it worse with DR2.0

• Deleted member 197115

So, exactly like the first three dirt games?

I'm not sure what you were expecting.
Which first three?
Showdown?

Dirt 3 besides Gymkana was all right.
Dirt 4 except procedural generated tracks failure was too.

Which first three?
Showdown?

Dirt 3 besides Gymkana was all right.
Dirt 4 except procedural generated tracks failure was too.
1, 2, and 3 were all arcadey off-road racing games. Dirt 5 is just another game in that vein. With the Rally series now existing they probably decided to go more arcade since the sim people can just play DR2.0.

Dirt 5 now launches November 6, getting closer to next-gen consoles.

Microsoft has already confirmed its next-gen Xbox is releasing sometime in November, and Sony will most likely follow suit with the PlayStation 5. Thanks to the date adjustment, Dirt 5's next-gen version has a good chance of being a launch title on the two new consoles.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years