DiRT 5 DiRT 5 Announced - Launch Scheduled For October

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
All has become clear as Codemasters confirm their new off road racing title is... DiRT 5!

Yes, the teaser has become an announcement, with Codies confirming the fifth instalment of their DiRT franchise is in the works and expected to launch towards the end of the year.

China_4W.jpg

The full press release:

DIRT 5’s global journey takes in some of the most thrilling, exotic, and picturesque settings such as New York City and Rio de Janeiro alongside challenging events in remote areas of Greece and China. Players will experience the thrill of in-your-face extreme racing in a variety of vehicle classes from buggies, unlimited trucks, and rock bouncers to traditional and modern rally cars.

The expansive narrative-driven Career is bigger in every way with event types and challenges across some of the toughest terrain. Before hitting the track, get creative using the livery editor, with more customisation options than any previous DIRT game. DIRT 5 features a non-linear progression path, so players can choose more of the events they want.

DIRT 5 heralds the return of split-screen for up to four players. The full list of game modes will be announced shortly, including a new game mode focused on creativity and designed for social couch play with friends or global online battles against the best racers in the DIRT universe.

DIRT 5 also boasts a roster of voice talent led by the iconic Nolan North and Troy Baker. Together, and in their unique style, the dynamic duo guide and mentor players through the Career mode and feature in the DIRT in-game podcast series, including the voice talents of other celebrities from the worlds of racing and gaming.

“As a studio, we are big fans of DiRT 2 and 3. This game is our homage: a bigger, amplified DIRT off-road experience in a setting that is alive, challenging and fun,” said Robert Karp, DIRT 5 Development Director at Codemasters. “Whether you want to compete against the AI on some of the world’s most challenging environments or play a four-player split-screen game with your friends, DIRT 5 has you covered.”​
DiRT 5 will be available October 2020 on the Xbox and PlaStation family of consoles and PC, with Google Stadia to follow.

Keep your eye out in the DiRT 5 sub forum here at RD - a perfect place to discuss the game.

New_York_1W.jpg
Norway_2W.jpg
Norway_6W.jpg

Last edited:
4k 60fps on Xbox Series X confirmed, with the option for 120hz which must be a first on a console.

I quite enjoyed Dirt4 as a console game for the rally elements and as a console game. Dirt 5 doesn't look like a game for me though, looks very similar to Grid 19 in style.

120hz on the console as a concept though that bit of information I do like, racing games on consoles could have a bright future.

Do you even know what rally is? This is clearly NOT a rally game, and none of the previous Dirt games were strictly rally games (except obviously the Rally subtitled games and 4 which was really a DR1 sequel)
I actually missed buying this Dirt4 I might grab a copy to check it out, they took most of my money they might as well take some more,
I have most of these on my xbox account also :roflmao:
1588879157866.png

There is plenty of room for all kinds of tastes and games, no problem.
What does matter is the expectation of fans.

So Forza Horizon, clear right?
Now DiRT, DiRT 2, DiRT 3, DiRT Showdown, Dirt Rally, DiRT 4, DiRT Rally 2 and now DiRT 5

Not clear, as a customer you do not know what a DiRT title will bring, more arcade or less arcade, whatever.
The problem is not the game, it is using a franchise for different games styles, that way you are certain to disappoint or piss off a certain part of your player base. The simple solution is to NOT abuse the loyalty of a franchise title.

DiRT 5 will probably please people looking for a quick spin a la Forza Horizon, it will probably not appeal to all DiRT fans, it will almost certainly not appeal to most DiRT Rally fans. Nice marketing F-up.

There was a time when Codemasters just gave games different names.
Yes, the marketing strategy is dumb and confusing. Perhaps, keep the word "Rally" for hard core sim and "Dirt' for arcade style... something to keep them focused on the correct audience...

This time we will see how little of the game we can sell you before you shell out for the bits we left out. At some point you will realise how much this game costs just in time for Dirt 6 - rinse and repeat.
The more you buy the less you get.

I'd love if this had VR to take a break from sims like DR2. I have no issue with an arcade style game alternating and think its a clever idea. This looks like what Dirt 4 should've been. I also wonder if the feature to be announced later is cross-platform multiplayer?

If this has VR I'll gladly buy. It is nice once in a while to take a break from Sims and play a driving game, I just wish they had VR support and I'd buy them. (Wreckfest doesn't count because its 6 years old now)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.1%