DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Released!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4 Release.jpg

Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players can now finally get their hands on the new Codemasters release, as DiRT 4 officially hits the game store shelves today.

Although some parts of the world have been able to pick up a physical copy of the game for console over the past couple of days, today marks the official worldwide release of the game across all platforms, bringing the fourth iteration of the popular DiRT franchise back to the forefront of off road racing on PC and current generation console machines.

Featuring over 50 cars the likes of the Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4, Audi Sport quattro S1 E2 plus many different machines from different classes of World Rallycross, Landrush and Crosskarts, run over five unique rally locations and a five Rallycross venues, the new game looks to firmly establish itself as the biggest and best inclusion to the DiRT franchise of games to date.

DiRT 4 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC today.

DiRT 4 Release 2.jpg
DiRT 4 Release 3.jpg

If getting down and DiRTy is your thing then we know the place to go... check out the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to get your fix of news, events, mods and discussions around the new Codemasters rally game. Go on, it'll be fun I promise !

Have you tried DiRT 4 yet? What are your impressions of the game? Do you think the title is comparable to DiRT Rally in terms of driving experience? Where does it rank against other DiRT franchise games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
For me personally this was the most disappointing game ever. I wanted to see Dirt Rally with all it's faults fixed. Instead Codies went this way. After 1.7 hours I asked fo a refund. All in all it looked and felt horrible.

No matter what the expectations was or anything. If this is "the most disappointing game ever". Then you have had a idiotic amount of luck in buying games, or you have never had many games.

Well... IMHO this game is a pretty mess, really.

Exactly what are the messy issues with the game? That doesn't really describe much.

Quoting myself from AC forum posts.

"FFB feels much worse than DR in every possible way, dirt or tarmac lol
tarmac is endless grip.. and when it snaps, its like on off grip.
RWD Historic vehicles feels like garbage compared to DR.

DR ffb is MUCH more informative detailed and fun.

My stage is awesome, wish DR had that.

Dirt 4 is the arcadefication of dirt rally to the bones imho arrrrgh .
Refunding in 45 min it seems

----------------------------
i removed all assists.. first thing i've done, even checked 3 times if they were indeed off, disabled hud and subtitles too.
played 80min and opened refund already.

FFB feels heavier but without any detail, just drove lancia stratos in DR and D4,,, DR wins by a good margin, much more details trough the wheel, much better powerslides on dirt too, a lot more rewarding to drive than d4, better mid turn control with throttle on DR too etc. \\\\\\\\\\for me the physics in D4 is way worse overall.

Tarmac in D4 is a bit better than DR but still garbage."

No matter what the expectations was or anything. If this is "the most disappointing game ever". Then you have had a idiotic amount of luck in buying games, or you have never had many games.

Exactly what are the messy issues with the game? That doesn't really describe much.

Well, as I said, thats my opinion. I have the right to express it. Or not?

Everyone can just buy the game, test it and keep it or not.

If you enjoy the game, good for you.

Well, as I said, thats my opinion. I have the right to express it. Or not?

Everyone can just buy the game, test it and keep it or not.

If you enjoy the game, good for you.

Thing is. Just saying something is awful doesnt really help anyone to do anything.
Never said anything about not being allowed to state an opinion, but having some actual pointers towards why might be a big help for people sitting on the fence!

I am rather disappointed the physics feel like a downgrade comparedto Dirt Rally RWD cars drive on rails and have infinite traction it's not possible to get them side ways in sim handling with all assist off

Thing is. Just saying something is awful doesnt really help anyone to do anything.
Never said anything about not being allowed to state an opinion, but having some actual pointers towards why might be a big help for people sitting on the fence!

Everyone is free to try it!!!

You want to hear more specific aspects?

1. FF: What FF?
2. Physics: Cars feel like a boat, or glued on the groud. Not middle term.
3. Interface: Are you kidding? I don't want a NFS-Dirt mix... full of fancy useless videos and "infos".
4. Got sick after that...

In short: awful.

Codemasters has scored a massive own goal with this. All they needed to do at the very least was copy the DiRT Rally physics over, install that into this new career mode with Your Stage and sim racers would've been happy. Instead they've introduced a gamer mode, absolutely ballsed up the sim physics, and lied and said it was just a modified DiRT Rally. Seriously, it'd have actually taken less effort to do the game well.

I can't believe this is the product. They knew how well DiRT Rally went down and they could've pleased both sides of the physics debate, and gave themselves a massive boost to reputation. Instead we have this. Seriously Codemasters, if you're reading this, give us some more realistic tyres and all is forgiven. It really isn't that much to ask for.

Assetto Corsa proved that sim can be playable for everybody with analog controller and with assists on if people really struggle. So I have had little hope in Dirt 4, but lack of sim oriented teasers killed it long time ago, and now it is being proved. It wasn't improved as a sim, on the contrary.

I just can not understand it, I was really afraid of this.

Dirt Rally was epic, still slightly simcade, but it could have been totally mastered it with a few updates. I'm sorry Dirt Rally is epic :) Still lots of time to spend there :) A lot of those cars are really enjoyable, actually most of them. Some are fail though.

I was really really hoping this was somewhat close to DR, pre-ordered and played 0.5h last night when released and now another 0.5h today. Has been watching a lot of reviews and still had some hope it was good...

Have sim mode, no assist, no hud and so on.

Have just tried the Stratos on the test and rally stage, and yes, tarmac is better but the gravel grip is just so wrong.
The front end grip is way to much, also very much rear grip and difficult and even wonder if it is possible to power slide??
When the back lose grip, it snaps quick.

In DR it was possible to slide this car and have an great time, overall the front end grip seems in general to high and as well rear end.
Sounds from the tires flushing the gravel is missing (or low) and the FFB is very flat after turning of the center force spring.

That could maybe be an tuning issue but the game do know what wheel I'm using (TS-PC), out of the box DR FFB is totally so much better in comparison.

I have 1 more hour to go on steam and I can accept no VR or the stretchy triple support, but if not finding any magic slider for the grip levels and this direct front end steering no rear slide behavior can be fixed, i'm going for an re-found.

I was so existed for this game and looking forward to it but the gravel physics is so disappointing compared to DR, if you have an remedy or suggestion, please post :)

It also makes you wonder. the game mode, how bad is that (can we hope they swapped the pictures by mistake???)

Sitting back on this one I almost took the plunge I like rallying, but have been burned to many time's buying on the first day of release.
I will no long get sucked in by Eye-candy . in need user feed back from trusted sites like here & others along with steam.

When i bought "Dirt 4", i really knew it will be more arcade version of "Dirt: Rally", but i spent almost 2 hours for proper car controll settings to find some joy of driving a cars in this game and i can't. All assist off, settings of my Logitech G27 like in "Dirt: Rally" didnt help at all. Game have option for H-shift with clutch, but in car with sequental transmission you will also use H-shift with clutch and i need to go in options by myself to change it for sequential. Why in "Dirt: Rally" there was no such problem? Brakes sometimes have amazing grip and the steering wheel independently turns from side to side, even at low speed and flat ground (remember the Gran Turismo?). Amazing track generator dont help if i didnt enjoy driving in this game. Also didnt like the music and career in new "Dirt 4", but it's a matter of taste. "Dirt 4" actually good rally racing game, but don't need to buy it, if you already have "Dirt: Rally", or wait for 75% sales and some patches.

While playing this all i wanted to do was play Dirt Rally.
Says it all really,physics nowhere near as good as DR, looks worse too.
If you own DR dont waste your money on this, got my refund.

Assetto Corsa proved that sim can be playable for everybody with analog controller and with assists on if people really struggle. So I have had little hope in Dirt 4, but lack of sim oriented teasers killed it long time ago, and now it is being proved. It wasn't improved as a sim, on the contrary.

I just can not understand it, I was really afraid of this.

Dirt Rally was epic, still slightly simcade, but it could have been totally mastered it with a few updates. I'm sorry Dirt Rally is epic :) Still lots of time to spend there :) A lot of those cars are really enjoyable, actually most of them. Some are fail though.
They already killed my hopes when they announced that it was gonna be called DIRT4 instead of DIRT RALLY 2. And this is exactly what we got, a continuation of the DIRT-"bro" franchise.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%