DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Launch Trailer Revealed Ahead of Release 9th June

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4.jpg

Codemasters have revealed the latest trailer for DiRT 4 ahead of the game release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on June 9th.

Coming off the back of the highly acclaimed DiRT Rally from 2015, Codemasters have looked to keep much of the simulation orientated vibe of the previous game whilst mixing in the ever popular additional content and features more traditionally found in the DiRT franchise of titles.

Although still lacking somewhat in unique stage locations, Codemasters have implemented a brand new stage generation technology in the new release that should allow users near endless opportunity to create new and unique stage configurations across the five country locations found in the base install of the game.

As well as the 'Your Stage' stage generation feature the new title will see the return of the popular FIA World Rallycross licence, new cars in Landrush mode and an in depth career and management mode.

Closer to a sequel to DiRT Rally than a new DiRT franchise release, this new title looks like Codemasters have struck a solid mix between variety and realism as they look to appeal to the wider gaming audience and dedicated rally fans alike.

To celebrate the upcoming release you can catch the new trailer below:

With only a few days to go until the game goes live Codemasters will have to put their money where their mouth is on June 9th as fans get the first opportunity to see if this new title can live up to the hype surrounding its pre release promotion.

Here is hoping Codemasters have created one of the most complete modern rally sims in recent years. Only time will tell.

DiRT 4 will be release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC June 9th 2017.

For all the latest news, discussions, downloads and organised racing events then head over to the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and become an active member of our DiRTy community! Find your inner dirt monster and get yourself involved in the action here at your RaceDepartment.com!

Excited for the release of DiRT 4? Share your enthusiasms / scepticism or general musing on the world of the DiRT series in the comments section below !

There are already videos on youtube where Porkhammer drives a Delta Integrale for I think over 9mins through the welsh woods... Guess it's a generetaed stage. It is so complex that you won't know this by heart so quick as in DR...
Well that's 9 min. I got bored with Dirt Rally after 40 hours, because of the repetitiveness. So i really need a little longer test then 9 minutes ;) i'd be interested in a long-term test from people who have driven 100 hours +. If they still have the feeling that they drive "new" stages, then i am sold. Don't have the time to play currently anyway, so i will wait what people say in 3 month or so :)

You will start to recognize sections after a while and to some extent the stages have a bit of a generic feel to them compared to DR. But still, even if Codies made 6-8 unique stages per location you would still learn them all fairly quickly, so I'll take this solution over fixed stages any day.
Yeah, fully agree on that. A full WRC season including ~15 stages in 13 locations would be superior, but this will likely never happen, unfortunately. unless we come to a stage where a drone scans them all, and an AI builds/codes the tracks, without any human help *dream*.
But i take stage generation over a handful of real stages any day as well

However, the rally gravel tire or the gravel surface itself needs some tweaking. The grip is simply too high. This is most noticeable in the RWD cars. They understeer like crazy and you can't really get any real throttle oversteer going.
The funny thing is that they feel great on the Dirt Fish School area, so my guess is it's the modeled gravel surface on the rally stages that is the culprit.
Hmm interesting. How about on snow, better? Compared to Dirt Rally? And how does it feel on RX gravel sections (assuming, bad too)?

Codemasters should be made aware of this by someone. Perhaps they actually listen, they did in DiRT Rally Early Access at least. But I feel like now they won't be as open to criticism, when they have "finalized product". Especially after IGN and GameSpot etc. gave high praise, so they think they nailed it.

By the way, in review by Sim Racing Paddock, he said no true triple screen support.. again

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. How about on snow, better? Compared to Dirt Rally? And how does it feel on RX gravel sections (assuming, bad too)?

Codemasters should be made aware of this by someone. Perhaps they actually listen, they did in DiRT Rally Early Access at least. But I feel like now they won't be as open to criticism, when they have "finalized product". Especially after IGN and GameSpot etc. gave high praise, so they think they nailed it.

By the way, in review by Sim Racing Paddock, he said no true triple screen support.. again

Haven't driven enough in Sweden yet, can't say much.

All aspects of RX feels amazing. Nothing wrongt with gravel there. They use a whole different tire in RX though.

All this have been reported to the devs by the testers, they are aware of what we think is wrong/right.
There are also a handful of 4WD cars that can't make donuts properly, they are aware of those as well.

But i take stage generation over a handful of real stages any day as well
No, not me, especially when they look as generic and boring as they seems to be in D4. Not only the same surface all stages long, but even a repetition of the same corners in one stage can happen and very little evaluation changes yet. And real Rally is about remembering the stages as well with the usual video-recordings today. The co-driver should be more a memory help than a guide through unknown territory. Certainly with the exception of endurance rallies like Dakar.

Yes. It really, really is.

I was expecting to like it, but I'm still blown away by how much I love it. The move from a monitor to VR has had more impact on my racing experience than the move from a keyboard to a wheel. Seriously.

In VR, you're so much more immersed. No longer are you looking through a mail slot to see where you're going, you feel like you're looking through a windshield. When you've got someone on your tail, you turn your head to look in the mirrors. Because it's true binocular 3D vision the elevation changes seem as daunting as real life (unlike a 2D monitor, and honestly a 3D monitor doesn't compare either). Again, because it's 3D, depth perception is immensely better; especially to the other cars around you.

I simply can't go back to a monitor. I just can't.
Sounds Awesomwe, and for me, in a wheelchair maybe too awesome. Sometimes with elevation changes and radical movement, i almost fall out of my chair - so the VR might just be dangerous!! hahaha :)

Sounds Awesomwe, and for me, in a wheelchair maybe too awesome. Sometimes with elevation changes and radical movement, i almost fall out of my chair - so the VR might just be dangerous!! hahaha :)
haha, nice one. I will stay away from vr, i just absolutely hate the idea of being oblivious to the world around me. i haven't grown up and acquired discreet use of my senses to have them kidnapped by some technology. Though, at some point, i will probably cave ... and then drop off my chair just as you, lol.

No elevation changes required - just try leaning on the virtual armrest that isn't really there; I've done it along with reaching for my sunglasses when the sun glare gets to be too much. :D

Does the Dirt 4 DOR (900/720/540/360/270) of the physical wheel now match the onscreen car? The only issue I still have with Dirt Rally, as great as it is, is that the onscreen wheel only matches the real wheel rotation if set to 270 DOR this is especially offputting in Dirt Rally VR though I know this isn't yet an issue for 4.

Does the Dirt 4 DOR (900/720/540/360/270) of the physical wheel now match the onscreen car? The only issue I still have with Dirt Rally, as great as it is, is that the onscreen wheel only matches the real wheel rotation if set to 270 DOR this is especially offputting in Dirt Rally VR though I know this isn't yet an issue for 4.

Yes, it's fully animated.

From the videos, I have to say that the Your Stage feature is not as detailed or varied as I hoped, but it is more detailed and varied than I feared. Nobody has tried anything like this in a modern game, so asking it to work to this level of detail was a big step. If it's not quite there yet, then that's ok. I'm willing to support them and hope DiRT5 takes it even further. But even if it isn't everything we want right now, it certainly does look like a game changer.

Let's be honest - a lot of things in DiRT Rally felt very generic too. The Finnish forests, a fair bit of Wales, most of Sweden could be done using a generator. Greece for me had the most detail (and was therefore my favorite), and it does appear we'll be losing that. But I do think this appears to be an excellent first step in the track generation direction and hope more comes in the future. As I've said elsewhere, if they want to add country DLC (I'll buy Scotland for £5, and Africa for another £5 etc), then I'd be all over that. The potentially here is massive, so lets not be too harsh if it isn't everything we dreamed of first time - at least Codies are coming back to us Sim Racers and trying something different. :)

Core of Your Stage seems to work (laying the road).

I feel lack of variety in trackside objects gives generic feel. That stuff should be randomized separately from road tiles too, so you can't connect certain building type to certain track tile. Doesn't work like this D4 I believe, but once you see certain building you go A-HA and already know the corner?

Like they ran out of time/money, but had enough to get the core work.

Still better than fixed stages, physics is the only thing I'm concerned about. If the handling is easier than DR, then no fun in all the new stages. Which would be huge waste

Users car stays amazingly clean, don't you think ?
And on the other hand... AI cars cet (realistically?) DiRT.
Bug?
Or some weird user choice option, if you 're one of those OCD's:rolleyes: who don't want their hands/cars get dirt4-y.
If it's bug I really hope they solve it in one of the, ofc upcoming, patches.
The other video is cool thou. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back