DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Launch Trailer Revealed Ahead of Release 9th June

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4.jpg

Codemasters have revealed the latest trailer for DiRT 4 ahead of the game release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on June 9th.

Coming off the back of the highly acclaimed DiRT Rally from 2015, Codemasters have looked to keep much of the simulation orientated vibe of the previous game whilst mixing in the ever popular additional content and features more traditionally found in the DiRT franchise of titles.

Although still lacking somewhat in unique stage locations, Codemasters have implemented a brand new stage generation technology in the new release that should allow users near endless opportunity to create new and unique stage configurations across the five country locations found in the base install of the game.

As well as the 'Your Stage' stage generation feature the new title will see the return of the popular FIA World Rallycross licence, new cars in Landrush mode and an in depth career and management mode.

Closer to a sequel to DiRT Rally than a new DiRT franchise release, this new title looks like Codemasters have struck a solid mix between variety and realism as they look to appeal to the wider gaming audience and dedicated rally fans alike.

To celebrate the upcoming release you can catch the new trailer below:

With only a few days to go until the game goes live Codemasters will have to put their money where their mouth is on June 9th as fans get the first opportunity to see if this new title can live up to the hype surrounding its pre release promotion.

Here is hoping Codemasters have created one of the most complete modern rally sims in recent years. Only time will tell.

DiRT 4 will be release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC June 9th 2017.

For all the latest news, discussions, downloads and organised racing events then head over to the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and become an active member of our DiRTy community! Find your inner dirt monster and get yourself involved in the action here at your RaceDepartment.com!

Excited for the release of DiRT 4? Share your enthusiasms / scepticism or general musing on the world of the DiRT series in the comments section below !

Is vr that good? Haven't tried it yet.

Yes. It really, really is.

I was expecting to like it, but I'm still blown away by how much I love it. The move from a monitor to VR has had more impact on my racing experience than the move from a keyboard to a wheel. Seriously.

In VR, you're so much more immersed. No longer are you looking through a mail slot to see where you're going, you feel like you're looking through a windshield. When you've got someone on your tail, you turn your head to look in the mirrors. Because it's true binocular 3D vision the elevation changes seem as daunting as real life (unlike a 2D monitor, and honestly a 3D monitor doesn't compare either). Again, because it's 3D, depth perception is immensely better; especially to the other cars around you.

I simply can't go back to a monitor. I just can't.

From what I've heard in reviews, it's actually a tad vice-versa; it keeps Rally's progress and additions, but is more in line with a mainline title and is a good bit softer and more accessible around the edges.

That being said, no matter what, it always amuses me that launch trailers are a good bit ahead of launch since... well, the last decade or so.

Having tried VR in Dirt Rally yeah it's very impressive indeed.

Codies said they couldn't fit VR into launch, because Your Stage etc. took all their time. VR is very likely to come later, seems they need a green light from the money men + some time.

However.. the cars seem to have too much grip and don't get sideways easily enough. And there's reports of the sim handling being less hardcore than Dirt Rally, (even) more towards "simcade". IGN (92/100) and Gamespot (9/10) may not care, but I do.

So if someone who knows how these vehicles should handle has tried it, would be good to hear opinions.

Last edited:
Yes. It really, really is.

I was expecting to like it, but I'm still blown away by how much I love it. The move from a monitor to VR has had more impact on my racing experience than the move from a keyboard to a wheel. Seriously.

In VR, you're so much more immersed. No longer are you looking through a mail slot to see where you're going, you feel like you're looking through a windshield. When you've got someone on your tail, you turn your head to look in the mirrors. Because it's true binocular 3D vision the elevation changes seem as daunting as real life (unlike a 2D monitor, and honestly a 3D monitor doesn't compare either). Again, because it's 3D, depth perception is immensely better; especially to the other cars around you.

I simply can't go back to a monitor. I just can't.
Dead right. I also have a NLMotion platform and buttkickers. Add that to my CV1 and you are in the car. Dirt 4 No Vr no buy. Would never go back to a monitor. Is VR that good? Well, if you sold your 65" flatscreen telly and bought a 20" black and white tv circa 1970, that`s the difference.

Had the game since friday. The core simulation in D4 is better than Dirt Rally.
The weight of the cars make them more planted at speed and trickier to slow down hard on the brakes. The way you take air over jumps feels great.
Tarmac also is a big improvement, don't expect Assetto Corsa, but it's improved alot.
FFB is also better.

However, the rally gravel tire or the gravel surface itself needs some tweaking. The grip is simply too high. This is most noticeable in the RWD cars. They understeer like crazy and you can't really get any real throttle oversteer going.
The funny thing is that they feel great on the Dirt Fish School area, so my guess is it's the modeled gravel surface on the rally stages that is the culprit.

Here's a clip of some RX I did this morning. RX feels absolutely awesome in D4.

Here is how the M3 behaves in the Dirt Fish Area. The cars there are gravel spec. It is seriously brilliant. Much better than DR.
Sadly there is hardly any throttle oversteer at all once you hit the gravel stages, so in my opinion it's the gravel surfaces that is the ptoblem atm.

I just can't seem to get any enthusiasm for this, after the magnificence of Dirt Rally this feels like a diluted version of what we have already, I can understand codies decision to return back to the yo bro games for commercial reasons but for someone who enjoys the sim aspects of DR I can't really see the point. It even has the same car list for the rally section. Will probably have a dabble when on sale.

I just can't seem to get any enthusiasm for this, after the magnificence of Dirt Rally this feels like a diluted version of what we have already, I can understand codies decision to return back to the yo bro games for commercial reasons but for someone who enjoys the sim aspects of DR I can't really see the point. It even has the same car list for the rally section. Will probably have a dabble when on sale.
I think the only benefit for someone who is only interested in the Rally Sim part (like you apparently and me) is the stage generation. Now the question remains how good it is, and if it becomes repetitive after a while.
The main reason i stopped Dirt Rally was, that i got bored of the stages..so this would definitely be a reason to pick up Dirt 4 for me. But i think i am waiting for sale as well

I think the only benefit for someone who is only interested in the Rally Sim part (like you apparently and me) is the stage generation. Now the question remains how good it is, and if it becomes repetitive after a while.
The main reason i stopped Dirt Rally was, that i got bored of the stages..
There are already videos on youtube where Porkhammer drives a Delta Integrale for I think over 9mins through the welsh woods... Guess it's a generetaed stage. It is so complex that you won't know this by heart so quick as in DR...

The main reason i stopped Dirt Rally was, that i got bored of the stages..so this would definitely be a reason to pick up Dirt 4 for me. But i think i am waiting for sale as well

You will start to recognize sections after a while and to some extent the stages have a bit of a generic feel to them compared to DR. But still, even if Codies made 6-8 unique stages per location you would still learn them all fairly quickly, so I'll take this solution over fixed stages any day.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%