DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Announced - Expected June 2017 Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4 Announcement.jpg

Codemasters have today confirmed that the much anticipated DiRT 4 will be released in June 2017, bringing about a considerably more fleshed out rally title to follow-on from the critically acclaimed DiRT Rally of 2015.

With a release expected as soon as this coming June, DiRT 4 should prove to be a considerable improvement over the already spectacular DiRT Rally that surprised us all on its release late in 2015. Already confirmed for the new release include an extension to the existing FIA World Rallycross licence alongside some new content in the form of both truck and buggy racing, plus the junior crosskarts series..

DiRT Rally 4 Mitsu.jpg

Traditional WRC style rally racing will remain the backbone of DiRT 4 however, and in direct response to often raised criticism of the current title Codemasters look set to include an impressive sounding new element to DR4 - procedural stage generation. For those of you new to procedural track creation, the technology will essentially allow players near limitless possibilities to create their own unique stages within the game. Titled 'Your Stage', the new functionality is "an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills". This is outstanding news for rally fans who have quickly become all too familiar with the current offering of stages in the original DiRT Rally game. With procedural stage generation implemented in DiRT 3, one could feasibly see stage lengths more closely aligned to the real life FIA World Rally Championship events the game looks to virtually reproduce. It is expected that the new technology will accommodate up to a maximum of 18km length stages, across a mixture of different rally conditions.

DiRT 4 GRS Car.jpg

DiRT 4 will also see an audible change from the current title as we see the return of championship winning co-driver Nicky Grist, famous for his time alongside Colin McRae during the Scot's heyday in the World Rally Championship and voice of many previous DiRT Rally releases. Grist takes over co-driver duties for the new release from Codemasters own Paul Coleman. The welcome return of the popular Welshman is a nice touch and should add yet further authenticity to the traditional rally portion of the game.

Despite the inclusion of a broader style of disciplines than found in the more 'back to basics' approach of DiRT Rally, Codemasters have confirmed they are looking to "combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3".

What's more, Codemasters have confirmed DiRT 4 has been developed with the support of real life rally driver Kris Meeke along with former Rally champ and two-time World Rallycross Champion Petter Solberg, as seen recently representing Team Nordic in the 2017 Race of Champions event in Miami. Both Meeke and Solberg have been supporting Codemasters with their handling improvements for the new title, as has Solberg's young son Oliver, who provided his expert experience to develop the handling and behaviour for a new series due to be added to the DiRT franchise - Crosskarts, as can be seen in this artist rendition below:

DiRT Rally Cross Karts.jpg

Further enhancing the experience of DiRT 4 over its predecessor DiRT Rally, the new game looks set to feature a series of rally school style lessons for those new to offroad racing, presented by rally co-driver, commentator, and motorsport presenter Jen Horsey. Horsey will also provide co-driver calls for those not wishing to benefit from the experience of Nicky Grist, with both co-drivers selectable via the in game audio settings in DiRT 4.

New locations will make an appearance in DiRT 4 with the inclusion of many more American events due to be added. Events in Michigan, Nevada, California, and Baja in Mexico have already been confirmed for traditional rally action, alongside truck and buggy racing making a return in 'Landrush' mode.

So there you have it, exciting news for anyone with an interest in sim rally games and already one of the biggest stories of 2017. And we've only just got to the end of January....

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news regarding this new title as and when it breaks.

Check out the DiRT 4 Announcement Trailer below:

DiRT 4 will be available for Windows PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 June 2017.

Check out our DiRT Rally sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding the DiRT Rally franchise of games. We have a nice selection of mods for you to download and of course our brilliant RaceDepartment Rally Championship online league. Get yourself over to the forum today and join in the discussion!

Are you excited about the prospect of DiRT Rally 4 from Codemasters? What would you like to see included in the new game? Do you think DiRT 4 can surpass the already outstanding DiRT Rally? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I just hope it's nothing like Dirt 2&3, some of the worst car games I've played, they were alright once you got to the track but the process to get behind the wheel was terrible. Part of my love for Dirt Rally was the complete no nonsense menus (Simplified setups with sliders not counted).

Will hold of on this until it goes on sale, and even then only if the presentation is preferably not there, or at least skipable.

Is this going to be a mix of Dirt 3 and Dirt Rally? So simcade-esque?

Also, any word on whether or not the VW cars will be in the game? I love their rally cars, but with them pulling out of FIA, I'm anxious to see if they're in the game.

Is this going to be a mix of Dirt 3 and Dirt Rally? So simcade-esque?

Also, any word on whether or not the VW cars will be in the game? I love their rally cars, but with them pulling out of FIA, I'm anxious to see if they're in the game.

Two options. Choose Sim and you will get evolved Dirt Rally handling. Choose Arcade and you will get a more casual assisted experience.

Hope tarmac driving is improved if its included. Dont like it in DR. Cars weigh like 100kg and turn as fast as you move your wheel. On dirt it feels great however. Looking forward to it though for the dirt driving.

Hmm.. American rally stages like Michigan and mexico? Seems a bit Ken Blockish.. Why not choose from:
Rally Poland
Condroz rally
Barum Rally
Ypres rally
Why don't they dare to be different and choose rally's that havent been used before in any rally game? In my opinion the less 'famous' rally's tend to be more spectacular to play (in RBR for ex.) instead of playing rally monte carlo (still a great rally tho) for the ninth time in another game..

HOLY F! I spend a lot of time in Rallycross online in Dirt Rally both on PC and PS4 and now new game will deploy in June of this year. If its going to be as good as the last game, hell yeah I will buy it!

Just pulled this off steam

"KickUp Member, Codemasters Champion
9:18PM

‪I'll be honest and say that I haven't had time to read the gossip thread today as I have been very busy talking to the press today. As I sit alone in a bar waiting for some food I thought I'd write this just so you know. ‬

‪We built DiRT 4 on the simulation that started with DiRT Rally. We've improved the simulation (Aero, Chassis, Tyres and much more) Basically all the stuff that you have been asking for. ‬

‪We've not dumbed anything down, we've just given players more ways to learn and get comfortable with rally so that the people who love the sport but can't handle the sim have a great game that they can play. Those that live for the simulation get an improved experience. I know it's hard to believe but we have managed to achieve both. ‬

‪You've asked for more content and Your Stage is our answer to that. We simply are not allowed to represent the actual iconic stages that we did for reasons beyond our control. What we have created is an incredible piece of technology that means that you will be able to generate new stages in our locations to your hearts content. I've worked in game development for 14 years now and this is the most incredible thing I've ever been involved with. This takes everything we did with DiRT Rally and takes it to the next level. ‬

‪This was a piece of technology that couldn't be added to DiRT Rally, its so much more than that and as more news comes out over the coming months it hope it aligns with your expectations. ‬

‪My food is here now but I hope that helps explain where we are coming from. I'll be catching up with the Gossip thread over the weekend but for now please rest assured that the spirt of Rally is still burning strong. ‬".........Paul Coleman

Just pulled this off steam

"KickUp Member, Codemasters Champion
9:18PM

‪I'll be honest and say that I haven't had time to read the gossip thread today as I have been very busy talking to the press today. As I sit alone in a bar waiting for some food I thought I'd write this just so you know. ‬

‪We built DiRT 4 on the simulation that started with DiRT Rally. We've improved the simulation (Aero, Chassis, Tyres and much more) Basically all the stuff that you have been asking for. ‬

‪We've not dumbed anything down, we've just given players more ways to learn and get comfortable with rally so that the people who love the sport but can't handle the sim have a great game that they can play. Those that live for the simulation get an improved experience. I know it's hard to believe but we have managed to achieve both. ‬

‪You've asked for more content and Your Stage is our answer to that. We simply are not allowed to represent the actual iconic stages that we did for reasons beyond our control. What we have created is an incredible piece of technology that means that you will be able to generate new stages in our locations to your hearts content. I've worked in game development for 14 years now and this is the most incredible thing I've ever been involved with. This takes everything we did with DiRT Rally and takes it to the next level. ‬

‪This was a piece of technology that couldn't be added to DiRT Rally, its so much more than that and as more news comes out over the coming months it hope it aligns with your expectations. ‬

‪My food is here now but I hope that helps explain where we are coming from. I'll be catching up with the Gossip thread over the weekend but for now please rest assured that the spirt of Rally is still burning strong. ‬".........Paul Coleman

Very passionate write up :thumbsup:

Rally motorsports has never been my first love unfortunately, but with the hugely positive reviews it received from the gaming community & the incoming psvr dlc I will be looking to emulate those crazy crazy drivers once more :ninja: it seems

Stick me down for 1 copy of Dirt4 :thumbsup: day one please
Oh and a date for that new Dirt Rally dlc ? would be greatly appreciated too :thumbsup:

Landrush is awesome.

Edit - Scratch that. I was thinking about Trailblazer :redface:

"Your Stage" or whatever it's called seems like multiplayer heaven because people all get the track at the same time without advanced or excessive prep or memorization. But there's not specific reference to MP with this feature?!?! Also, good automated pace notes and/or an algorithm to avoid "gotcha" turns will be important.

I don't understand this, though...

Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills".

How would shorter stages help noobs? Hopefully not because they are expected to memorize them! Ah wait...maybe it's because damage accumulation so ability to complete the stage...whew!

Last edited:
I might give this a try if the handling really is improved considerably.
Random rally stage generation makes much more sense than random track generation, but keeping in mind that DR stages already look kind of generated I wonder if the stages in D4 will look even more same-ish.

If it drives on par with NGP and looks great with procedurally generated stages, that would make it really close to a perfect rally sim for me.

Edit: they should have named it ProceduRally :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%