DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Still Coming - No Release Date Yet

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

Codemasters have given a very brief update on the promised VR update for DiRT 2.0.

VR, or Virtual Reality, continues to steadily grow in popularity within the sim racing game space, something that has and continues to be recognised by many racing game developers.

With the ability to sit right in the heart of your virtual race car, VR and sim racing are a perfect match for each other, and for many who have tried the combination, lack of VR support is seen as pretty much a deal breaker with regards to spending any serious time within games.

Noting this trend amongst racing game fans, not to mention an immense amount of community pressure via social media, Codemasters confirmed a post release update will be heading to the game that brings VR support to the title.. but have since remained tight lipped on how VR will be implemented, or when it will be coming.

Today the development team left a small note at the end of their recent roadmap update, and although light on detail, it does at least give us reassurance that VR is still on the table, and set to join DR2.0 in the non too distant future..

Summer is here and the DiRT community’s been lighting up our Twitter page with one question in particular, “where is VR”? While we don’t have a release date or extra info to share right now I do want to point out that yes, the DiRT team is working hard on making the virtual a reality in DiRT Rally 2.0. We’re excited to share the news just as much as you are to read it, and once everything is in place we’ll provide another update.
Not exactly full of detail, but reassuring nevertheless..... keep holding tight folks, it's coming!

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

It was a vast misjudgement, not to say: it was plain stupid to release it without VR. Not after the first title doing so well in VR, and VR being much asked for in the racing genre. To wait and see whether one could get away without VR is as pointless as asking a community whether it wants the Nordschleife for its sim.

Once VR comes to the title, I may consider to check it closer. Until then, for me the game does not even exist.

DR 2.0 all editions are 50% currently (Steam summer sale). Even if you won't drive without VR, might be good time to pick it up in advance

Unless of course VR performance is bad compared to flat screen like in ACC. But would think they can make it okay. The game itself is definitely much heavier to run than Dirt Rally 1 though

Loving Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR and looking forward to loving Dirt Rally 2.0 when it "comes of age". So far it sounds like I will.

I broke down and did purchase mine in advance assuming they would make good on their promise, but I haven't bothered to download it since I can't use it yet.

DR 2.0 all editions are 50% currently (Steam summer sale). Even if you won't drive without VR, might be good time to pick it up in advance

Unless of course VR performance is bad compared to flat screen like in ACC. But would think they can make it okay. The game itself is definitely much heavier to run than Dirt Rally 1 though
But money speaks, and I do not want to praise them with my money early without them delivering what I want.

So the more clever option is to wait until they released VR, and patched it - and then wait for the next sale. ;)

I have grown tired a bit of these many games getting released early, prematurely, without proper optimisation or even half their content missing. Thats like buying a car without wheels, being told these would come later this or next year. The game business does like this because players let it get away with it, instead of boycotting it. Well, I am out.

It also kind of spoils the game. You handle it when it is broken or uncomplete, you spend time on it, and when one year later it finally got completed, you have already spend so much time with a half-baked something that you are no longer interested in it, or do not play again because the game's story already has been told and holds no more surprises.

Spoiled.

It was a vast misjudgement, not to say: it was plain stupid to release it without VR. Not after the first title doing so well in VR, and VR being much asked for in the racing genre. To wait and see whether one could get away without VR is as pointless as asking a community whether it wants the Nordschleife for its sim.

Once VR comes to the title, I may consider to check it closer. Until then, for me the game does not even exist.
I'm really looking forward to vr for DR 2.0 too. DR1 is a blast in VR. But DR 2.0 I consider it a master piece. Even whithout VR is worth it. I recomend you take advantage of sales and buy it.

I think they'll struggle with the performance on Oculus as it is (hence how long its taking) and I suppose the rest of us will have to try and use Revive which in turn will kill another 20% performance on top of that. I seriously doubt we'll be playing this in our SteamVR headsets with anything like the performance and visuals of DR1.

I'm going to be a dick and say that VR is a niche inside a niche inside a niche. Not defending CM, but I bet they have better ways to spend their resources and time. Sorry if I sound like I'm belittling those who want VR, that's not my intention.

I do hope VR becomes a big mainstream thing sometime soon with good image quality and little performance impact, but for now, it's just way too expensive and it gives very little back, beside headaches and motion sickness.

• Deleted member 197115

I'm going to be a dick and say that VR is a niche inside a niche inside a niche. Not defending CM, but I bet they have better ways to spend their resources and time. Sorry if I sound like I'm belittling those who want VR, that's not my intention.

I do hope VR becomes a big mainstream thing sometime soon with good image quality and little performance impact, but for now, it's just way too expensive and it gives very little back, beside headaches and motion sickness.
It's like horseman opinion on a race car.

Aka2k. Of course you have VR and are therefore someone who`s opinion matters. NOT. I do, however have VR and like a hell of a lot more than 5 people will not buy any forthcoming or existing title if it does not support VR. 2D is so yesterday.

Loving Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR and looking forward to loving Dirt Rally 2.0 when it "comes of age". So far it sounds like I will.

I broke down and did purchase mine in advance assuming they would make good on their promise, but I haven't bothered to download it since I can't use it yet.
I dont think you should have done it like that, they woukd be interested to know the figures and whether VR was worthwhile. if customers are buying in advance they won't see how lucrative VR may well have been. I won't go near until VR is released because if its successful they may consider it on the F1 franchise which i really want to play but can't.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%