DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0 Update 1.4 Released - FFB Update Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2 Update.jpg

Codemasters have released a new DiRT 2.0 update to the game - alongside confirming a new Force Feedback fix is on the way next week...

The new update, deployed to the title yesterday, comes at an important time for DiRT 2.0 with many players starting to become frustrated with a game that is seemingly failing to live up to its initial potential in the eyes of the community.

Having released across both PC and console just a few short months ago, Codemasters have remained active within the community and do seem to be responding to the feedback of the players, whilst at the same time releasing a robust if slightly controversial program of post launch DLC.

Although this update offers a number of useful tweaks and fixes, it is perhaps the final sentence of the below change log that will interest players the most... the long awaited force feedback update is set to be deployed to the game next week - hopefully addressing some of the issues that appear to be at the forefront of community members experiences to date.

DiRT 2.0 V1.4 Update Notes:
  • Online Custom events can now be set up as human only
  • Plain black and white liveries added for most vehicles
  • UI indication added for when ghost cars are stopped due to time penalty
  • Leaderboards will now support going to the top from all positions
  • AI will no longer select unreleased vehicles
  • Speedcar Xtrem wheels will not disappear
  • Improvement to Silverstone joker lap detection
  • Costa Rican added as a nationality
  • Tyre warnings are improved when in the service area
  • Reset line improvements on Mettet
  • Delta Daily will now award correct credits
  • Improvements to Opel Manta 400 engine audio
  • Turning off Personal Best ghosts will keep them off for the remainder of the session
  • Visual improvements to some vehicles
  • Proximity warnings will not be shown on retired vehicles
  • Resuming championships will not damage previously undamaged components
  • Stability improvements throughout title
Please note that a further update will follow in the next week, which will focus solely upon FFB – so if you’re wondering where that is, it’s just around the next corner!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

For news, discussion, mods and more head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I'm still happy I refunded. This amount of time later and still FFB issues?
All the Youtube streamers have this as an amazing game, so I'm wondering where is the disconnect?
I hated the game, but it's apparently brilliant, FFB fix is coming....

All the Youtube streamers have this as an amazing game, so I'm wondering where is the disconnect?
I would not say brilliant, but nor bad. It's a pretty decent rally sim, with lots of different cars and some variety in the track roaster.

Well Youtuber's are a strange kind, they react according their own expectations and sometimes they do not analyze stuff objectively ...

Example : Kunos still has no support for Triples and Scheduling / Matchmaking ( Whatever you wanna call it ) , they do communicate most of this, maybe not as clearly as they want for the simple reason that sometimes not even they themselves know where stuff will end up with a 100% degree of certainty .... but they do try to communicate!

Reaction : OMG OMG crap game no this or that ... REFUND!!!

Codemasters : launches every year the same game from previous year with a few tweaks, sometimes some nice improvements but , improvements, nothing revolutionary , no triples, no VR, no scheduling/Matchmaking racing , debatable physics and FFB. Communication , ZERO !

Reaction : Very good game ....

Go Figure ....

Serious questions how a game in development for a few years with the help of an actual rally driver along with early access and events for people to play the game before release can still ship with such horrendous FFB that requires about 2-3 months after release to fix.

What youtubers are you guys watching that are saying Dirt 2 is a good game because I want to watch them as well, only people I've seen play the game there and on Twitch ain't saying it's good, far from.

Serious questions how a game in development for a few years with the help of an actual rally driver along with early access and events for people to play the game before release can still ship with such horrendous FFB that requires about 2-3 months after release to fix.
Easy - they do not anticipate the fact that FFB modeled exactly according to the opinions/experience of said rally driver(s) will be the cause of hysteric outrage in what seems like 90 % of the armchair racers.

The FFB is far from horrendous. It just isn't how many expected it to be. That's the entire controversy here.

(BTW, there was no early access for this game, unless you count the three days the Deluxe edition owners had.)

Last edited:
Easy - they do not anticipate the fact that FFB modeled exactly according to the opinions/experience of said rally driver(s) will be the cause of hysteric outrage in what seems like 90 % of the armchair racers.

The FFB is far from horrendous. It just isn't how many expected it to be. That's the entire controversy here.

(BTW, there was no early access for this game, unless you count the three days the Deluxe edition owners had.)

The problem isn't the FFB sucks, it's the fact for some people there really isn't much FFB at all, you can't put that down to us being armchair racers at all, there's people that have played rally games hardcore who know how to race that have said the same thing. I will also be surprised if the FFB is an exact replica of real physics in a real rally car but hey, how many people playing Dirt have actually driven a real rally car? that doesn't mean we can't say it sucks ass.

Wasn't this game sent out to people to test as well as being tested at offline events a month or so before release or am I tripping? plus, you have to expect them to have a QA team testing it yet it seems they didn't spot the FFB issues that the vast majority of people that bought the game did, weird eh?

Ridiculous supposition. You can’t be in this business without anticipating such a reaction. What? They didn’t have a single beta tester who was actually into simracing?

That’s real smart.

Their rally driver was probably focused on things like the audiovisuals and making sure they got the rules right. I wouldn’t be shocked to find out he only played the game with an Xbox controller (often the case). A lot of times real drivers don’t take these games all that seriously. I’ve talked to several who were really surprised that it was the even the aim of a sim to develop FFB that felt somewhat realistic. Depends on what sort of driving they do, and their technical background. Many have never experienced a decent commercial sim and figure the people playing these games are “kids and fans” who just want it to “look right”.

Lastly, I’m not an “armchair racer”. I grew up driving on gravel and dirt (mountain in Tennessee). The FFB in Dirt 2.0 is horrendous (thanks BitTorrent for saving me $59.99) and doesn’t feel anything like running on a loose surface. You might as well play with a controller. The FFB is actively misleading.

In contrast, though I’m not a big fan of iRacing’s physics in general, they did a much better job of giving you a fairly realistic-feeling with their dirt content.

Dirt 2.0’s interpretation of driving on a loose surface and iRacing’s feel very different, and they can’t both be right.

The problem isn't the FFB sucks, it's the fact for some people there really isn't much FFB at all
I'm still not convinced that's the case. Everything I've seen mentioned so far about this points to the FFB just being different than people expect (which may include "weaker", which may not even be a bad thing objectively speaking, as many people seem to prefer or are used to unreasonably strong FFB for the relatively weak wheels they are using, with lots of clipping, often even unaware about the fact), not completely absent. The FFB in DR2 doesn't hit you over the head with strength and lots of rumble and noise and all that. It is fairly "quiet", so to speak. Doesn't mean it lacks fidelity, though.

I will also be surprised if the FFB is an exact replica of real physics in a real rally car but hey, how many people playing Dirt have actually driven a real rally car?
Yes. exactly. So why doubt the word (and experience) of people that have?

Wasn't this game sent out to people to test as well as being tested at offline events a month or so before release or am I tripping? plus, you have to expect them to have a QA team testing it yet it seems they didn't spot the FFB issues that the vast majority of people that bought the game did, weird eh?
You were talking about early access. Previewing the game at some events to a selected few is not early access.
Also, saying the testers "didn't spot the FFB issues the vast majority of people that bought the game did" pretty much implies there are objective issues to be spotted, not just different expectations and/or different subjective taste. And it also implies no tester ever raised similar issues that are now raised by the community, which I seriously doubt is something you can prove. (And in fact I do seem to recall that I saw some of the testers mention that they did suggest some changes to the FFB.)

Love how they still couldn't include the car specific transmission selection, that was in Dirt Rally 2015. (Sequential for modern cars, H+clutch for oldies).

What am I missing here? Dirt Rally 1.0 allows you to select how you shift for all cars in one place. I've never seen anything that changed with the car. You either use an H pattern with all cars or Sequential with all cars.

Edit: I got a reply to this explaining exactly what I missed. Thanks for that! I'll change my configuration based on that reply.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing