DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: Oculus VR Update Arrives at Last

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

DiRT 2.0 has been updated - and now finally comes complete with the new Oculus VR Mode - vastly improving the VR experience using the Steam version of the game.

Yes, in something of a rather bizarre move by Codemasters, DiRT 2.0 failed to include a VR mode with the game at initial launch... with the studio later adding the functionality as a post release update, but splitting play in VR headsets to either a Oculus Store edition of the title, or a performance bugged version on the more traditional Steam platform.

The release strategy generated much criticism from the sim racing community, and recent weeks have seen Codemasters working hard to address these issues as part of the latest V1.9 update that has just dropped for the game.

Now including a significantly improved VR experience when playing via Steam, thanks to the inclusion of an Oculus VR mode, DiRT 2.0 just got quite a bit better for many of the virtual reality fans who own the game..

V1.9 Update Notes

Content:
  • Added files for Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi in preparation of DLC release on October 8th.
  • Added files for Peugeot 206 Rally in preparation of DLC release on October 22nd.
  • Added files for Volkswagen Golf Kitcar in preparation of DLC release on October 22nd.
Features:
  • New feature: Broadcast Mode (Beta). Players can now spectate others in Multiplayer Lobbies.
  • New camera angle: "Dashboard"
VR:
  • Added "Launch DiRT Rally 2.0 in Oculus VR Mode" command to Steam version.*
  • Adjusted default Chaperone setup by forcing Seated Mode.
  • Improved readability of various UI elements.
  • Made various improvements to reduce stutter during head movement.
Audio:
  • Resolved multiple triggers relating to audio cutting out mid-Stage.
  • Resolved issue where turbo blow-off sounds were not playing when players released the throttle.
Hardware:
  • Added "Handbrake Deadzone" and "Handbrake Saturation" options to Advanced Input Settings.
My Team:
  • Added ability to "restart" My Team career by resetting player inventories.
  • Resolved issue where selling an upgraded car would not show the correct amount of Credits refunded.
  • AI Challenges: Resolved issue where AI drivers would score double points after player recovers from Terminal Damage.
Freeplay:
  • Custom: Added ability to autofill an Event with all available routes for a chosen Location.
  • Historic: Resolved issue where retiring from an event would mark current Championship as "Completed".
AI:
  • Modified AI behaviour when taking the final corner at Estering, Germany.
Miscellaneous:
  • General stability improvements and minor bug fixes throughout title.

Version 1.10 is in development and is expected to release around October 29.

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Now that I finally bought it, could someone with a Fanatec CSW2 share their in-game/wheel settings please? The FFB with default settings don't feel too good, other than that first impressions are pretty good!

There's an unofficial fix by some modder, that reportedly fixed the USB polling/stutter issue for many: https://github.com/simonowen/dirtfix/blob/master/ReadMe.md
https://github.com/simonowen/dirtfix

I installed that, haven't experienced stutter since (at least based on few hours of testing)

Mfw Mememasters can't fix their code in 7 months, but some modder can
Man, you saved my life!!!

Strange thing is that at the beginning I didn't have the issue, but today I had some windows update forced on me, and it started that crazy stutter. I rolled back the update, thinking it was the cause, tried almost everything and still had that crazy 2-seconds stutter. I was pulling my hair out :mad:

I just installed this and it fixed it, glad I found your post, I was thinking to reinstall the damn OS because of this.

Well had a week of great gaming using the Rift CV1 with this, until yesterday when I kept getting stutters and the noise of USB devices unplugging. My accelerator would also briefly stop.
Is that the reported issue, that the above fix rectifies?

I initially refunded the game after I bought it once it got VR support.
Bought it again now, as I just read about the update, however VR still runs super bad for me.
I have to turn down everything to make it run smooth which makes everything look so bad that it is not enjoy able to play.

Running a RTX2080 and a Ryzen 2700x with a Oculus Rift.
Am I missing something?

I initially refunded the game after I bought it once it got VR support.
Bought it again now, as I just read about the update, however VR still runs super bad for me.
I have to turn down everything to make it run smooth which makes everything look so bad that it is not enjoy able to play.

Running a RTX2080 and a Ryzen 2700x with a Oculus Rift.
Am I missing something?

Could be the USB polling bug, that causes hard, regular stutter. For me it was looking deceivingly as a bad framerate inside VR. While it wasn't about FPS performance. For possibly fixing it, check my post on the first page. At least for me installing this mod corrected the issue:

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...r-update-arrives-at-last.173836/#post-3051094

Last edited:
Is it a problem with the game or my settings that the picture is overexposed when using VR? It is very bright during the daytime sunny stages or snow stages.
It's the game, and I don't think that it's considered a bug. Just poor design. You can mess with the settings file to reduce the issue slightly, but it doesn't help much.

Has the bug with the annoying random automatic wipers been fixed with the latest patch?
Nope, random wipers are still in. Very annoying, aren't they?

Can someone help me out setting the VR for Dirt?
Same here, would anyone be kind enough to share some tips to improve FPS ? I'm struggling with a Rift S and a 1070 Ti to get something smooth...

Try the settings in this video if you are struggling with performance, they are pretty low, but it's a good base to start at and you can fine tune it to your liking. I've actually used these to get my set.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 248 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years