DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: Greece Rally Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 - Greece 2.jpg

The stages of Greece are the latest piece of content to be made available in DiRT Rally 2.0.

Deployed to the simulation today as part of the substantial post release DLC package for DiRT 2.0, Rally Greece is the latest in a long list of returning favourites for Codemasters most recent rallying adventure.

One of the more popular venues that have featured in the franchise recently, the technical and often brutal stages of Greece return today, and as usual the event has been given the benefit of a substantial facelift to bring it up to the current DiRT 2.0 game standards.

The Greece Rally location is accessible through My Team, Custom Championships and Time Trial.

DiRT 2.0 - Greece 3.jpg

Although the new event has released on all platforms today, Codemasters have confirmed the Oculus store version of the title is still awaiting a date for the new content to hit - with more information expected to be revealed by the studio at a later date.

DiRT 2.0 - Greece.jpg

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Not sure what that means, sorry. Do you drive servo underamped for all games, why did you get 20+ Nm then?

Heavily offtopic but I was talking about lowering amperage just because DR2 doesn't have gain slider. That doesn't make sense to me because I can live with that slightly non-linear feedback that max force limit does.

For using the lower amperage for every game because pretty much never using the full potential, I cannot see the reason not to have the headroom available. I'm not underclocking my CPU or GPU either if not using 100% loads.

People do realise that tarmac rally tyres have tread right? and that the stages are generally open roads that are not rubbered in but are very green and dusty? Why do people keep comparing tarmac in DR2 with their favourite circuit racer (not that people even agree on those for realism) as if they expect the same levels of grip?

People do realise that tarmac rally tyres have tread right? and that the stages are generally open roads that are not rubbered in but are very green and dusty? Why do people keep comparing tarmac in DR2 with their favourite circuit racer (not that people even agree on those for realism) as if they expect the same levels of grip?

Basically the tarmac rally tyres are like road legal semi-slicks.

The thing I believe is tricky to simulate for the game developers is the way rally tyres produce grip. On tarmac the compound grip is the key where on gravel tread intrusion combined with the compound grip is the way to produce grip. Two very different ways and that's not even all of it. You still have moments when you're running gravel tyres on tarmac where you're once again searching for only compound grip but this time from the gravel tyre, on snow you have studs interfering with ice and tread taking care of the snow, studs on tarmac and countless other scenarios to complicate physics development. It's a really tricky mine field to simulate everything to the highest standards. You more or less have to lower your expectations on that regard.

No rally sim has made tarmac well enough to compare with circuit racing titles.

Last edited:
I don't get why people still worry about degrees of rotation when we already have built-in solutions for it. Just set the same DOR in-game/driver side and stop worrying about it. If the end result doesn't make sense, it's most likely an issue with the expectations or FOV setting.

Many of the rally cars do share parts with its passenger car counterpart so the steering rack is not always as fast as you would like to have. Take it as a part of the challenge of rallying. :)

Why do I remember Greece to be more dusty? Also, the track degradation feels not right for this kind of sandy'ish surface in my opinion. Aaand the framepacing is pretty bad, seems not well optimized.

But that's only my impression from ~30 minutes of play so far.

I wouldn't call the gravel roads in Greece "sandy". Dusty, yes, but certainly not sandy. And they can get pretty rough, and not just due to a lot of sharp stones on them.

Also, for the tarmac feel - I honestly don't get it as well why there are constant discussions about how every single rally game "feels so wrong on tarmac". I just don't get where that's coming from. Again, it's apparently just me being unable to recognize the nuance needed, but even in Dirt Rally, I felt like tarmac wasn't nearly as bad as many would make it, and it only improved in DR2 as everything did. And it's nice IMO that each country feels a bit differently, even on tarmac, because there can generally be quite big differences in tarmac and how it feels and how much grip it has IRL as well.

• Deleted member 197115

So SAT = Overall gain?
It acts as a scale for others to a degree (methink), but yeah, some fine tuning with individual params after that is required.
I have MMos gain and Granity amperage maxed out (20Nm Small Mige). My settings in game, they work for me, but if any DD owners have any recommendations, I am always eager to learn. Cheers.
upload_2019-9-16_8-37-30.png

upload_2019-9-16_8-35-55.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It acts as a scale for others to a degree (methink), but yeah, some fine tuning with individual params after that is required.
I have MMos gain and Granity amperage maxed out (20Nm Small Mige). My settings in game, they work for me, but if any DD owners have any recommendations, I am always eager to learn. Cheers.
View attachment 324819
View attachment 324818

Just to correct the Gain/SAT-thingy:
100% MMOS Max Force combined with 35% ingame SAT and 35% Suspension
- Barely no Self Aligning and kinda similar feel to Impact mod in DR1
35% MMOS Max Force combined with 100% ingame SAT and 100% Suspension
- Very noticeable Self-aligning force and a lot better feedback overall

SAT is not equal to Overall Gain but is what it should be: Self-Aligning Torque

Edit: Ninja'd by @Marc Collins

View attachment 324819
View attachment 324818

Thanks for this example. Within this thread there are wildly different in-game settings recommended by knowledgeable people. I wish I knew where to start. This is the same idiocy as PCars and PCars 2. There is only one proper balance between all these sliders that represents the best the game/sim can produce (physics modelling of whatever sophistication and quality level translated into FFB). All that is needed is for the devs to pick what is best and provide a strength adjustment (per car if they cannot be bothered to properly calibrate all cars relative to each other). Instead, we get the complete opposite--a bunch of ill-defined sliders and no overall strength setting.

Fiddling with these sliders is a waste of time that guarantees the majority of users will not end-up with an optimized result. Then, as a result, complaints about the FFB, handling, physics will abound. One or two people will spend hours to figure it out and try to exclaim that the game is good/great/not that bad. We've seen this movie before.

Unless the default settings represent what Codies believes is the optimized approach (except for some rare oddball hardware or situations that require some tweaking), they are complete incompetents.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Self-aligning torque is not the equivalent of an overall gain or strength setting. Not even close.
I think the term CM is using just misleading. It was the same case with DR as some reviewers were pointing out.
The definition from CM own document
SELF-ALIGNING TORQUE
This scales the torque created by the tyre and suspension geometry.

At least I can almost comfortably drive by dropping that param and friction (wheel friction) without touching anything else. Guess it just controls FFB Constant Force.

Anyway, great academic discussion that nobody cares about.

EDIT: Another great thread on DD settings (I posted it before here)

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks for posting that. Quite unorthodox settings but whatever works.
I thought DR only use Friction effect, not Inertia.
Why do you have Friction so high anyway, do you get lots of noise from Friction effect. I used to have like 10 in DR original to remove that sand in the wheel, but with DR2 found it's clean with just Overall Filter at 4, less filters, less latency, cleaner signal. But I am on 10K encoder, guess if you on something like 2.5K, it could be grainy. TBW is unlimited, btw.

One more, 1080 DOR, 540 is what virtual wheel aligns to and what most modern rally cars use anyway.

Thanks for posting that. Quite unorthodox settings but whatever works.
I thought DR only use Friction effect, not Inertia.
Why do you have Friction so high anyway, do you get lots of noise from Friction effect. I used to have like 10 in DR original to remove that sand in the wheel, but with DR2 found it's clean with just Overall Filter at 4, less filters, less latency, cleaner signal. But I am on 10K encoder, guess if you on something like 2.5K, it could be grainy. TBW is unlimited, btw.

One more, 1080 DOR, 540 is what virtual wheel aligns to and what most modern rally cars use anyway.

Isn't that very traditional DD setup? Slightly higher damping (DD's needs fair amount of damping) and limited max force are the only "strange things in it. Just enough overall filtering to keep the motor quiet. Those "effect filtering" sliders does not have any effect so not sure what you mean. Those are only active if the said effect is selected as a "User effect". Therefore the only slider that is active is the damper one and that's set to "Off" anyway.

Ingame it's as "pure" as it gets.

What goes to DOR, almost every car in DR2 uses more than a 540 degrees. Only some of the WRC cars, rallycross cars and R5's use such quick steering rack. It would feel weird to just bypass such a big part of the car characteristics.

Don't remember my TBW setting but it's rather high but definitely not "unlimited".

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%