• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured DiRT 2.0: Greece Rally Now Available

Discussion in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,598
    I'll just point out that not using damper in DR2 will result in losing the friction forces, especially the tyre friction, which are kinda crucial to getting a feel for grip in this game.

2. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    Those are smoothing filters on DirectInput effects, including for effects coming directly from game (like Friction in case of DR), not only User defined.
    I haven't seen anyone using these particular setup on DD with DR1 and DR2, but if it works for you, that's all that matter.
    How do you get 1:1 mapping with virtual steering wheel at 1080? I remember using 1080 on flat screen, but in VR mismatching hands/virtual wheel movements were very offsetting.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins

Ratings:
    +388
    OK, can we at least agree on one basic thing? Is DR 2 "Self-aligning torque" what is says or does it act as an overall gain/strength slider?

4. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    That's the question only hard-core simmers have answer to.

5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,598
    It doesn't act as an overall gain slider, that's just a fact and I really don't care who agrees with it or who does not :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
    If posted earlier quote from CM own document did not convince you.
    https://www.gameskinny.com/7q9df/dirt-4-guide-tips-for-optimizing-wheel-settings-and-force-feedback
    CM used very misleading name for this control, this is it.
    Academic definition of SAT
    And from CM
    Yes, technically it is not overall gain as it controls constant force only, second slider from the top
    [​IMG]

But as most of the feedback is simulated by this effect, spare friction (wheel weight) and periodic for rumbling on cattle grid, you can effectively control overall strength of the feedback.
    At least it works for me this way, same as it was the case with DR original and D4.

But you all are right, of course, technically it is no overall gain, but can be pretty much used to the same effect.

7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +573
  8. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +192
    But how it actually works is that SAT = Self-Aligning Torque.

It is very easy to test with a method I described earlier. If it would work as a multiplier of the steering rack forces, both ways should result in very similar self-aligning forces but it's no self-aligning at all vs springy feel we have here.. Or that's how it was with a Subie -01 WRC on snow with a default setup.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins

Ratings:
    +388
    Just leave everything at default (usually 100) levels and try the SAT at 0, 100 and 150. That will tell you immediately if it is an overall gain control versus an actual SAT control.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.