direct drive still not close to real thing

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

My OSW is still better than my previous t500rs belt driven wheel. But i thought it be like real car driving, and i read somewhere with current technology it is still impossible cause how ffb works. i mean there are positive things abous DD over belt drive and those are
-yo not clippin
-yo dont have hardware center which yo feel even when wheel is turned off
-faster reaction and stronger forces, easier to catch slide
-more details feel
-more degrees of rotation, yo can even set unrealistic over 2000 degree
and i did not found any negative things compared to belt drive, even oscillations are less but it depend how yo set up yo wheel.

But i thought it be better and feel as i drive real car, like wheel would constantly matching front sim car wheels, and its not, cause i read thats how ffb works today. Todays sims instead of giving a wheel setpoint where it should go, it give em how much force to apply to get to that point, thats why we have oscillations then.
yo know what i mean? it should be 100% yo steering wheel connected to front wheels in sim car, and its not, when yo turnin right and yo sliding, yo rear end of car losing grip yo steering wheel shall immediately countersteer to the left, but in real car that happens cause yo front wheels countersteers and yo wheel goes with them. In sims even with direct drive, yo front wheels countersteers then sim telling yo steering wheel that it shall apply for example 10 nm to left to wheel go there and match where virtual car front wheels are, once wheel match them, it cuts force but wheel still have momentum of previous force and then sim tell yo wheel it shall go back to match them wheels and it apply like for example 5 nm to right cause it get to desired point and overshoot it, then it get back to left, and right etc, thats called oscillation.
Like they need to make better technology to sim tellin wheel where it should go and stay there, not how much force it should apply to get to desired point, then when it reach it and overshoot it, sim tellin wheel to go back

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely right 12Nm is the absolute peak, not continuos torque. 6 is what you feel at most. Gt3. Let's not forget Bodnar principle that we are getting a force from the wheel instead of the driver creating resistance to it, so it's not accurate anyway.

Out of curiosity how much dynamic damping are you using in ACC. I have to change it for each car.

It's going to be in italian, I can share some info here:

The host was referred to me by Aris when I inquired about ffb in his tubes and originally promoted 100% force on the driver wheel, for which I expressed my concerns.

Somehow he's now down to 65% on SC2 Pro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

in not using dynamic damping in any sim i use no damper, only damper i use is called "weight" in my wheel software, it was 5% at default but wheel is dull then and not countersteer, 1% is wheel too light and crazy oscillating when i let it go, now im using 3% and its perfect.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back