Direct Drive on a Budget? Feel VR Kickstarter is Here, But Act Fast!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Feel VR Kickstarter Campaign.jpg

We heard about the FeelVR Direct Drive wheel project back at the 2017 Sim Racing Expo, and now the plans are a reality with a new Kickstarter campaign launched today.

The team behind Feel VR had an ambitious target to develop and ship a Direct Drive wheel and pedal set for considerably less than any other DD product on the market, and it looks like they are now finally in a position to open up the long awaited Kickstarter campaign, having already surpassed their funding target in just 75 minutes!

At the time of writing the campaign has received over $200,000 in the first day, and if you want to take home an early bird discount you only have the rest of today to act!

I spent a considerable amount of time on a Skype video call with the team at the back end of last year, and it looks like the plans they have in place are very solid and well thought out, with several demonstration models already in action even back in 2017. In fact, the team would be at the Sim Racing Expo in September of last year, although unfortunately we didn't get an opportunity to pop over and say hi whilst we were on site ourselves.

So what is it the team are offering exactly? Well if done correctly, this could be something of a game changer for sim racers looking to invest in direct drive wheel technology - the team are offering a full Direct Drive wheel, and pedals, for the same price as a traditional mid range standard wheel setup.

At present "early bird" investors on Kickstarter can order a DD wheel, two rims (GT and Formula), all the cables and a set of load cell brakes for.... $549! That's cheap.. very cheap indeed..

So what does it look like, and what are the specs? Read on to find out..

The Wheel
Feel VR Features Wheel.jpg
Feel VR Features.png
Feel VR Specs.png

As for the pedals, the team at Feel VR have developed an affordable load cell unit that promises to offer a more detailed and consistent performance that traditional spring loaded versions, as anyone who has tried loadcell can testify I'm sure, and if you wanted to pick them up as a standalone item, early bird prices are $149!

The Pedals
Feel VR Features Pedals.jpg
Feel VR Pedals Specs.png

All sounds pretty good on paper, let's see what happens once the units begin to ship towards the end of the year...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Like the look of these offerings from FeelVR? Will you be investing? Can a budget DD set such as this compete in a competitive marketplace, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

"The last wheel you'll ever buy" seems like an oxymoron, possibly even for direct drive :whistling:

I believe I said something like that after I got my G27.....you can see how that turned out (it's the oldest wheel on that table). :roflmao:

Now that's going to be one interesting game of table tennis.
:p

That's why I bought Eleven: Table Tennis for VR. :geek:

Upvote 0
I believe I said something like that after I got my G27.....you can see how that turned out (it's the oldest wheel on that table). :roflmao:
I easily went through 3-4 wheels in about 8 years before getting a G25, but those wheels never cost more than $80 and PCs quit coming with gameports, so there was a technology change. I enjoyed & endured the $250 G25 for about 7 years before I upgraded to a Fanatec CSWv2 (OSW hadn't yet matured) while keeping the G25 pedals & shifter.

Upvote 0
Exactly this. And this was something I couldn't fully understand until I experienced it. It's not how strong the overall force of the wheel is, it's the fidelity and directness of all the little bumps and grooves and jolts you feel from the road and how the whole thing just felt more "real" because of it. Much like high end speakers, sure you can probably crank them louder but the real benefit is all the little details you can hear so much clearer and how they manage to make you feel like you're actually there listening to the band in person. It's a world of difference and now I can't wait to have my own DD wheel. (And again, that can probably be said of all DD wheels and not just this specific one).

Keep in mind this seemed to be a one-man show. I got the impression he's just toting all this stuff around in the back of his car and taking the kit across the country (they've been to LA, Chicago, Indy, North Carolina, etc.) so transporting a proper rig around and setting it up/breaking it down by yourself probably isn't ideal right now. They did a demo in Illinois and Indy on Saturday so being able to set it up and break it down quickly is probably pretty important and the Playseat fit the bill for both price and logistics. Props to they guy for getting out there and pounding the pavement though, he seemed very proud of the product and wants to get the word out.
I agree I wish them the best. I would love for a good affordable DD wheel to come to market but demonstrating it that way does not do the product justice. And honestly didn't look safe. I'm rooting for them. Something like the gtomaga art rig with casters would probably work well enough. They could just wheel it off the van to demonstrate and when done just wheel it back onto the van.

Upvote 0
I am so close to pulling the trigger on the feelvr. I am in a position where I think by November I could easily forget about the 400 quid id lost, but I really would be quite upset if I miss out on a relatively cheap way into the dd wheel market. I've had my t500 for about 6 years now, and do fancy a step forward. Lol

Upvote 0
Warning: OT AF

I hope people clearly understand that a DD will *not* necessarily make you quicker. The fastest guys I know are all young dudes with low or mid-level wheels (G27, G29, some with T300/TX).

But if you want it for increased immersion, that’s another thing. My personal view is that the underlying software driving the FFB hasn’t quite matured to the point where a DD wheel can confer an actual competitive advantage.

Either that, or the old men (like me) who can easily afford the DD wheels simply aren’t quick enough (or have the spare time to practice - same thing) to compete.

Would like to see what one of these aliens using a G29 could do with a DD. Would their lap times improve? Or would it reset the learning curve?

Upvote 0
Warning: OT AF

I hope people clearly understand that a DD will *not* necessarily make you quicker. The fastest guys I know are all young dudes with low or mid-level wheels (G27, G29, some with T300/TX).

But if you want it for increased immersion, that’s another thing. My personal view is that the underlying software driving the FFB hasn’t quite matured to the point where a DD wheel can confer an actual competitive advantage.

Either that, or the old men (like me) who can easily afford the DD wheels simply aren’t quick enough (or have the spare time to practice - same thing) to compete.

Would like to see what one of these aliens using a G29 could do with a DD. Would their lap times improve? Or would it reset the learning curve?
that is not correct. it will make you faster.

Upvote 0
$135 to be added for EU vat even when they ship as gift will be bulk shipments going through most will be caught in many cases depending on shipper the package gets held for weeks while they contact you to collect payments.
Many shippers add administration charges for the service so I would expect to be forking out at least another €150 or £140 on top of the price stated for VAT on Bundle & shipping.

Upvote 0
$135 to be added for EU vat even when they ship as gift will be bulk shipments going through most will be caught in many cases depending on shipper the package gets held for weeks while they contact you to collect payments.
Many shippers add administration charges for the service so I would expect to be forking out at least another €150 or £140 on top of the price stated for VAT on Bundle & shipping.
They'll ship from Poland or Germany, so no additional payment for EU countries.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back