Dilemma with Pedals.. Fanatec V3 or Huesinkveld Sprints

Hi Guys,

I need some help or advice to let me know if it would be a sensible idea to move from the Fanatec v3 pedals for the heusinveld sprints.

currently using the CSL Elite wheel base, but I’m thinking to fund the jump would be to sell of my Fanatec F1 rim and the V3s.

would this be a good idea or is the jump to them really not worth it.

If anyone has owned both and can give me the confidence to get them then I will. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Just to chime in, I’ve also gone from V3’s with BPK to the Heusinkveld Sprints and apart from a couple of minor things it’s no contest, the brake pedal is very noticeably better for me, just smoother, more consistent than the V3 could ever be even with BPK installed, the open dry design simply works better than the closed and lubricanted one on the V3, also a lot easier and cleaner to adjust. The load cell Fanatec uses just isn’t as high quality I don’t think and even though they rate it at 90KG I don’t think they actually use that amount in software I feel like it’s about half that, the 65KG Sprint brake takes noticeably more force to max out, I think Fanatec uses a cheaper unit that can do 90KG but not very reliably so they limit it more, and Heusinkveld use a slightly better load cell that might be able to do the same 90KG or close but limit it less to 65KG and actually state that number.

Remember a good consistent brake pedal is far more likely to improve your lap times than any wheel base can, people do record times on the cheap Logitech and Thrust Master wheel bases, but a better wheel base can improve the realism of how the car feels, a direct drive can help catching slides, it all depends on your priorities.

Upvote 0
The load cell Fanatec uses just isn’t as high quality I don’t think and even though they rate it at 90KG I don’t think they actually use that amount in software I feel like it’s about half that, the 65KG Sprint brake takes noticeably more force to max out, I think Fanatec uses a cheaper unit that can do 90KG but not very reliably so they limit it more, and Heusinkveld use a slightly better load cell that might be able to do the same 90KG or close but limit it less to 65KG and actually state that number.
I never mentioned this on any forum but I could have sworn that, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, a Fanatec driver and/or firmware update lowered the max braking force of their loadcell pedals. With my old cockpit with a pretty loose chair, it was almost impossible to get max braking when the Fana loadcell was set to max force in the software. I took a small break from racing and when I came back and re-installed and updated everything, I noticed the braking, while still requiring a fair bit of force, didn't require nearly as much force as it used to at 100% driver setting.

I totally believe what you're saying about this. I don't think it was placebo. I bet Fana lowered the physical loadcell force for "100%" software setting in an update 2 or 3 years ago.

Upvote 0
I wish I could sample a set of non-Fanatec loadcell pedals. After all my braking performance problems with tons of different Fanatec loadcell brakes and configuration options, I don't know if my foot/brain just can't get accustomed to pressure-based braking without experiencing longitudinal G-forces like we do in real life or if it's just specifically Fanatec's brakes I couldn't get on with.

Upvote 0
This video gives some insight on loadcell rating versus actual pedal force:

(and we got a new microphone for future videos..)
Fantastic video, thanks. I just watched the HE Sprint review from Sim Racing Garage. I know it's difficult to tell by just watching, but even on the medium rubber settings they seemed to be very easy and almost mushy to press all the way down. On top of that, the loadcell seemed to be very easily sent to 100%. Also, 100% loadcell was only registering the the software as 40-something kg instead of 65 kg.

I had a Fanatec CSL Elite LC with all rubbers set to the stiffest and the foam (to simulate the softer first part of travel) replaced with a medium rubber and they seemed much more stiff in-terms of movement than the HE Sprints in that video. The Fanas also seemed to require more force to register 100% on the loadcell.

I'm seriously considering buying the HE Sprints but I want to make sure I can really hammer on these brakes to at-least the level Fanatec brakes can be set too (when Fanas are set to full rubber stiffness and full loadcell force) - especially considering the HE Sprints are almost triple the price.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what was happening with Barry's 40 ish kg maximum, perhaps it was an older version of the software where this might've been a bit buggy. We measured a Fanatec CSL Elite LC brake to max out at about 45kg pedal force, which is entirely believable if the loadcell is 90kg and looking at the lever ratio. We also supply short and medium rubbers, which really take the travel out of the pedal even at 65kg. Still, 65kg isn't a lot, so it is easy to max out if you're in a decent sim rig.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing