Differences in AI and Player's handling

It's something I've seen a lot in rFactor and games derrived from it like GTR2 and Race 07, is that the AI can have some unusual handling characteristics and pace.

I recently tried the NSS mod, and on the oval tracks, what I found to be a good setup had the car pulling in one direction or another down the straights. This is the sort of behavior I'd expect to find, and simply have to deal with. However the AI seemed unaffected by this, and could hold the steering wheel right in the center all the way down the straights without fighting to keep it on course.

I've also seen in a lot of cars where you start on cold tires, especially the rTrainer cars included in the game, that the AI are incredibly fast for the first lap, and then are suddenly at a more realistic pace after that. It's as though their tires are constantly at their optimum temperatures.

I know you can have the AI use the same tire model as the player, and I've changed my .plr file to reflect that since. But it still raises a question for me; if that was different for the AI, what else is different? How can I tell whether they're ahead of me because I'm that far off the pace, or because they just have an advantage from simplified physics?

Thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years