Differences Between Forza Horizon 4 and 5?

Although FH5 has just been released, I see that Steam is offering FH4 at substantial discount during Black Friday sale. Would anyone who has tried both 4 and 5 offer to compare the two? (Note: I already have FH5, but I can't resist a good deal (in this case on FH4) when I see one ;) )

Thanks!

It genuinely feels like Horizon 5 is a map-DLC (with a few new features that comes along with any DLC) for Horizon 4.
What was added to Horizon 4 during it's lifespan in terms of different "stories" and so on are in Horizon 5 from the start.
The look, UI, feel etc. is very much the same.

Horizon 5 got more bugs and online issues at the moment though.

If you want more of the same (but not a full game experience as they have moved on to FH5) then FH4 is worth it at the current sale :)

FH4 is worth it at that price, regardless of how much of an improvement FH5 could be. FH4 was terrific. I've done it to death though. I don't know how to track game time for FH4 (not installed through Steam), but from the loading screens I know I've "Been in 1st Place" for more hours than I've played almost all other simulators on Steam. I was addicted.

Wait till FH5 goes on a really good sale and get that next year or so. The structure of FH5 is just different enough to justify an upgrade at that time.

The one I'm getting is how I really liked the ffb in fh4 and hate it in 5 because it's so weak No vibration through the wheel when revving engine, even turning road feel settings up full, not liking the vastness of open space and due too bugs no traffic in horizon mode except for online players or in the events, much preferred Uk setting, also getting the what now? seems like you do alot then you come too having not that much else to do , probably because I don't like most of the multiplayer side too the game.

Last edited:
The one I'm getting is how I really liked the ffb in fh4 and hate it in 5 because it's so weak No vibration through the wheel when revving engine, even turning road feel settings up full

Weird, for me the complete opposite, I preferred the UK setting but the driving feel on FFB wheel in FH5 is much better. Especially when going off road, which was the problem in FH4 for me, it had this horrible rattling, which can be toned down with a specific slider in FH5

Also.. to get decent FFB in FH4 I had to do pretty extreme setting tweaks (which probably caused the rattling, but the default was just unplayable). Where as, in FH5 the default is fine, by lowering a bit the offroad feedback

It's annoying though how in FH5 my T500 doesn't get full FFB (roughly half of the effects/information missing) unless I unplug/replug USB after the game has loaded up. Still not fixed after latest patch

This happens on some other Thrustmaster wheels, maybe other brands too. Worth a try maybe

Last edited:
Weird, for me the complete opposite, I preferred the UK setting but the driving feel on FFB wheel in FH5 is much better. Especially when going off road, which was the problem in FH4 for me, it had this horrible rattling, which can be toned down with a specific slider in FH5

Also.. to get decent FFB in FH4 I had to do pretty extreme setting tweaks (which probably caused the rattling, but the default was just unplayable). Where as, in FH5 the default is fine, by lowering a bit the offroad feedback

It's annoying though how in FH5 my T500 doesn't get full FFB (roughly half of the effects/information missing) unless I unplug/replug USB after the game has loaded up. Still not fixed after latest patch

This happens on some other Thrustmaster wheels, maybe other brands too. Worth a try maybe
I get your point about the rattling, just give me the vibration effects when revving or when ever hitting the red band driving flat out, just gives me more immersion. will try that out but think any time i re plug wheel while it's running i end up with no ffb.

FH5 is a huge step forward just alone in driving physics/feeling/wheel ffb and sounds. And a lot of other details in every part of the game like the gift people cars feature with the barns or that Playground icluded the functions for them to have events with decorations like for christmas atm. Its way more then just a "map DLC" :)

FGMeUeoXoAEpmJu.jpg

Last edited:
FH5 is a huge step forward just alone in driving physics/feeling/wheel ffb and sounds. And a lot of other details in every part of the game like the gift people cars feature with the barns or that Playground icluded the functions for them to have events with decorations like for christmas atm. Its way more then just a "map DLC" :)

View attachment 524491
You must work for Microsoft, the few changes you mention doesn't offset the Major flaws or the same ole same ole feeling you get after a hour. Forza 4 is Light Years ahead in playability, stableness,. 5 is a carbon copy with a few extra bells and whistles. I've had cars disappear out of my garage along with a ton of other problems. Going back to Forza 4 with pleasure.

Last edited:
i also noticed with my thrustmaster tx.. that if i unplug and replug in after getting into the game.. my force feedback is completely different.. so much better.. and get yourself a few bass shakers.. and rumble pedals.. and simhub. and fh5 is great.. fh4 is great as well. but for some reason.. in fh4 my wheel would go back and forth when trying to drift.. and now in fh5 its perfect .. and feels more like AC then FH4

Nope and idk whats going on for some people. Only the release day had some connection issues for everyone. Beside of that it just runs fine even when i have the game running for 24hrs+ and half of that it was running in the background while doing other stuff ^^

Last edited:
seasons were so much more noticable in 4 now it's like one hot summer all year round , all you see is millions of little green shrubs lol, does have nice sky's at times, going back too fh4 in winter in edinburgh just looks better than anything in fh5 :) and the driving feels way more sim like than fh5 currently, the ffb is poor, the motorways have bits that make yer car jump in the air oh and it makes my t300rs sound a bit like a logitech with the rattling effects,get them out. rant over :) . oh one more thing, they aren't even acknowledging that the vibration settings don't work for wheels or some of them. I have reported it obviously not getting enough reports on that issue too care but if folks don't tell em they won't know how bad it is for some wheel users.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party, I know. :rolleyes:
I haven't bought FH5 for myself yet, because while FH4 was fun, the FFB and physics were just not enough to sustain my interest in the driving aspect (and c'mon, that's 99% of the game) ;)
However, my son has it, and just to check it out I plugged my G27 into his laptop and drove around a bit on the tiny screen.
I really only drove the old Rabbit GTI and I have to say it felt MUCH better than FH4 to me. There was always a weird center dead zone in FH4 I could never get rid of. FFB felt better overall, and it also seemed like there were some visual ques that my tires were squirming and it translated to a more real-feeling experience.
It felt not unlike a fun cruise in Assetto Corsa, LA Canyons. And that's saying something.
I think now I need to buy a copy for myself and give it a proper go on my widescreen and decent video card.

Many of our fellow sim racers dismiss FH5 because it falls much more on the simcade side than sim side. And, while I am a FANBOY when it comes to Forza (I enjoy it thoroughly on a motion sim rig), there are some caveats that must be stated at the beginning...

CAVEAT: While I would concur that the FFB has been improved a fair bit from FH4. especially for those of us who use a wheel and pedals, there are still a number of remaining bugs/issues. Per aka.ms/communityupdate2 posted 1/11/22, they are continuing to prioritize at least some of those bugs. On FH4, they worked nearly three years on bug squashing so they do have a decent record in that regard. Nonetheless, any new or prospective FH5 player should understand, due to the sheer quantity of bugs, this game can still feel like a beta at times. FH5 also uses the previous game engine which was developed during one of the failed Windows Gaming Initiatives where I believe Microsoft began pushing a tweaked/uniform driver model rather than the standard driver model for controllers, wheels, etc. As a result, I understand some wheels (like Simucube) still don't work satisfactorily with FH5.

NOW THAT THE CAVEAT IS OUT OF THE WAY...

In FH5, free roam driving can be fun in the same way that LA Canyons can be fun in AC. But, the real kicker in FH5, is taking a car that doesn't really handle well and modifying the tune on it until it drives the way I want it to drive. This means learning to modify the springs, antiroll bars, rebound, compression, tire pressure, gearing, aero, brake bias, etc. It can also mean swapping the driveline from RWD to AWD or swapping a motor, turbo, supercharger, etc., and then testing the result on your favorite circuit, street course, dirt course or rally course. For those who are new(er) to tuning cars, Hokihoshi (Youtube content provider) did a wonderful rundown of how to tune that applies specifically to FH5, but also to many of the other sims we might race. It is a video that I watched several times simply because I was awed at how much real world info he managed to sneak into it and how well he explained it. (I also found the majority of the info in that video to be consistent with my own experience). Not all of it is 100% correct, but it is correct enough to be valuable asset for most arcade AND sim racers.

Long story short: Enjoy the driving first and foremost. But, if you can use FH5 and some of the tuning guides to help build or increase your own tuning ability or your son's tuning ability, then you cannot help but get a LOT out of the title. And, that knowledge will benefit you well beyond the confines of FH5.

P.S. I am always happy to help folks get FH5 figured out or to start folks on their tuning journey. We have a small discord server for that purpose and you can message me for access.

In my opinion, FH4 is better.

FH5 is a 7/10 game, at an 11/10 price. FH4 is an 8/10 game, at a fair price on sale. I'm not saying FH5 is a bad game, just that it doesn't do anything new that FH4 or FH3 haven't already done.

I have negative things to say about the Forza series in general. If FH5 is your first game or you are a rich Mexican kid you may feel very differently.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 110 7.5%
  • < 5 years