Did you know there's hidden AI settings in your PLR profile

Want the AI to play more fairly? Are you tired of getting punted in multi class events? Want to the AI to act more human? Edit the AI brake and power usage settings

they look like this

AI Driver Strength="100"
AI Power Calibration="0" // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Additional Fuel Mult="0.99000" // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Brake Power Usage="0.80" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use
AI Brake Grip Usage="0.80" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use

This post totally wasn't inspired by shovas tips... but i thought i'd share something interesting i learned.

Last edited:
AI Brake Power Usage="0.80" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use

Raise or lower this if you think the AI brake too late or too early. Like, if you're following an AI into a corner and they brake before you think they should, raise this as it will make the AI think it has more braking power (and it does at 0.8: up to 1.0 ie. 100%).

AI Brake Grip Usage="0.80" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use

This should have a similar effect as Brake Power. It's just a way of making the AI think they have more or less brake grip which results in them braking earlier or later.

Cool/funny consequence when Brake Power/Grip > 1.0: They think they have more brake power than is actually there so they brake too late and often go off-track.

There are a couple of others, too:

AI Corner Grip Usage="0.93000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use

Lower this to slow down AI if you think AI can go around corners unrealistically fast and/or outside the racing line (where they shouldn't be able to due to marble build up).

[S]AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables[/S]

EDIT: I was wrong, this doesn't seem to be what this does. Car HDC "AI Torque Stab" might fit this description

Lower this if you find AI feel like a brick wall when you touch them, like it feels like they're not affected at all but your car gets bounced back too much.

30000-ish seems to be the consensus on where this should actually be.

Last edited:

Raise or lower this if you think the AI brake too late or too early. Like, if you're following an AI into a corner and they brake before you think they should, raise this as it will make the AI think it has more braking power (and it does at 0.8: up to 1.0 ie. 100%).

This should have a similar effect as Brake Power. It's just a way of making the AI think they have more or less brake grip which results in them braking earlier or later.

Cool/funny consequence when Brake Power/Grip > 1.0: They think they have more brake power than is actually there so they brake too late and often go off-track.

There are a couple of others, too:

AI Corner Grip Usage="0.93000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use

Lower this to slow down AI if you think AI can go around corners unrealistically fast and/or outside the racing line (where they shouldn't be able to due to marble build up).

AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables

Lower this if you find AI feel like a brick wall when you touch them, like it feels like they're not affected at all but your car gets bounced back too much.

30000-ish seems to be the consensus on where this should actually be.
would it be possible to in theory use AMS or rfactor 2 settings for these in GTr2? since they both use a PLR file?

update:Yep this PLR set up from Reiza works much better than simbins set up the car is not as slippery as it once was i shall attach it too this post I am honestly impressed the game even detects reiza's settings have not tested with ai yet but will do soon.

Attachments

• lol.txt
    49.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
would it be possible to in theory use AMS or rfactor 2 settings for these in GTr2? since they both use a PLR file?

update:Yep this PLR set up from Reiza works much better than simbins set up the car is not as slippery as it once was i shall attach it too this post I am honestly impressed the game even detects reiza's settings have not tested with ai yet but will do soon.
Most settings from rfactor1 or 2 and ams dont work because the main game engine is not updated as in rf1 2 and ams, Some settings will work.
But most dont.
Some settings are changed by gtr2 even when you put the file on read only.

As AI settings well it is personal.

Maybe your quicker then i am or otherway around so some settings for you works great but some settings dont.

I really dont have a problem with being hit by AI car. 99% i am quicker in corners. (I love to be hit from behind then i know i need to be even more quicker in corners)

I am driving a lot of le mans and monza/spa.

For example le mans.

Ai track grip is default (le mans 2012 v3.1?) Is around 1.04 well player grip is 1.00

On the first straight the AI with same setup reaches 5-8 kph more because do to the fact they have more grip. When i lower the AI grip to 0.98 they reaches the same top speed but the indianapolis corner and entry to porsche curves some AI cars cant steer in to the corner as good anymore. So to overcome that i have to give them 1 click or 2 clicks more downforce. But that makes them slower on the straights.

Gtr2 offline needs a lot of work to get things right but this is dependend on your own driving skill level to make it joyable for every single person.

Most settings from rfactor1 or 2 and ams dont work because the main game engine is not updated as in rf1 2 and ams, Some settings will work.
But most dont.
Some settings are changed by gtr2 even when you put the file on read only.

As AI settings well it is personal.

Maybe your quicker then i am or otherway around so some settings for you works great but some settings dont.

I really dont have a problem with being hit by AI car. 99% i am quicker in corners. (I love to be hit from behind then i know i need to be even more quicker in corners)

I am driving a lot of le mans and monza/spa.

For example le mans.

Ai track grip is default (le mans 2012 v3.1?) Is around 1.04 well player grip is 1.00

On the first straight the AI with same setup reaches 5-8 kph more because do to the fact they have more grip. When i lower the AI grip to 0.98 they reaches the same top speed but the indianapolis corner and entry to porsche curves some AI cars cant steer in to the corner as good anymore. So to overcome that i have to give them 1 click or 2 clicks more downforce. But that makes them slower on the straights.

Gtr2 offline needs a lot of work to get things right but this is dependend on your own driving skill level to make it joyable for every single person.
How about AI settings like grip and power etc can those be copied over?

Also ai torq stab in the hdc file is the one that makes ai cars too stable on track.. some mods have it above 1.25, 1.25, 1.25

I believe it now hardwired to max 1.00 but if you lower it it makes them spin them selfs when hitting you or being hit

ai torq stab

That is a multiplier for the Ai cars torque in Z, Y and Z direction.
It is generally a good iade to lower the X and Y as the Ai can no longer easy bump you off the track.
If you lower the Z value te Ai cars have a tendency to flip them them self.
For GT cars I use 1.0, 1,2, 2,0
Think I got that from Race 07 and find it works well, for GT type cars.

It is not hardwired just make the values higher and see the AI bumps you off the track and lower them and knock an Ai car off the track your self.
If you go too high or too low it will default to some predefined values and that is likley what you have seen.

That is a multiplier for the Ai cars torque in Z, Y and Z direction.
It is generally a good iade to lower the X and Y as the Ai can no longer easy bump you off the track.
If you lower the Z value te Ai cars have a tendency to flip them them self.
For GT cars I use 1.0, 1,2, 2,0
Think I got that from Race 07 and find it works well, for GT type cars.

It is not hardwired just make the values higher and see the AI bumps you off the track and lower them and knock an Ai car off the track your self.
If you go too high or too low it will default to some predefined values and that is likley what you have seen.
Above 1.00 makes the cars unreal stable.. always keep it below 1.00..
The dev used ai torq stab as a magic hand to keep the cars on track with bumping or overtakes.

If you can find it read the vondutch ai tutorial he explained it better

Last edited:
Above 1.00 makes the cars unreal stable.. always keep it below 1.00..
The dev used ai torq stab as a magic hand to keep the cars on track with bumping or overtakes.

If you can find it read the vondutch ai tutorial he explained it better

You can't just look at one thing with regards to Ai and everything else in the Simbin games.
First IMO VonDutch 'fixes' are a kludge that just camouflage the issues! That may not be true but that is what i have found .
Find the Ai in Reborn mod much more believable and based on testing.
Now we are all different and expect different outcomes so if VonDutch 'fixes' works for you then that is great.

Ai are not using the drivers physics but a way simplified version so the Ai torque multiplier are compensations for that. Still a kluge factor that have to be adjusted for each car type
You can also find in the AMS forum some info about a bug in the torque calculation in Gmotor2.
The distance from center was calculated but not multiplied with the force so in pretty much all cases the torque calculations are too low!
So if you keep the torque factor under 1.0 without recalculating the real torque you just made the physics even further from real physics.

You can't just look at one thing with regards to Ai and everything else in the Simbin games.
First IMO VonDutch 'fixes' are a kludge that just camouflage the issues! That may not be true but that is what i have found .
Find the Ai in Reborn mod much more believable and based on testing.
Now we are all different and expect different outcomes so if VonDutch 'fixes' works for you then that is great.

Ai are not using the drivers physics but a way simplified version so the Ai torque multiplier are compensations for that. Still a kluge factor that have to be adjusted for each car type
You can also find in the AMS forum some info about a bug in the torque calculation in Gmotor2.
The distance from center was calculated but not multiplied with the force so in pretty much all cases the torque calculations are too low!
So if you keep the torque factor under 1.0 without recalculating the real torque you just made the physics even further from real physics.
what happens if you make them use player physics? how does that work?

I doubt you can! Most sims uses simplified Ai physics to lower the CPU load.
Those that do not struggle with more then 10-15 Ai cars
A shame those sims do not just make use of all available cores on the CPU!
Or even better use the GPU for AI.
Though we would have that by now in Sim's
ah that makes sense well i may have found a decent work around solution anyway
i scrapped the qualification pace setting in the AIW all together just to see what wold happen
it's been interesting so far they have been racing far more cleaner for me now so i wonder if somewhere the engine was getting confused and swapping one pace for the other? how odd.

Last edited:
First of all, I wanted to really thank people who spent time figuring GTR2 AI out. I followed HQ Anniversry/Shovas' advice to use *Usage params to tweak AI to my liking, and honestly I do not remember when I had a better race against AI across any games than what I had yesterday in GTR2/PnG.

I've a question - maybe someone has an advice. I started 70s FIA Championship in PnG yesterday, but was interrupted mid race and had to save. Today loaded the race, and it worked beautifully, but by the end of a race I had a minor issue with AI, not sure if Save/Load caused it. By the end of a race, AI cars grouped in trains, bumpdrafting each other, like they can't pass each other. Is there a cure? Cheers!

Also ai torq stab in the hdc file is the one that makes ai cars too stable on track.. some mods have it above 1.25, 1.25, 1.25

I believe it now hardwired to max 1.00 but if you lower it it makes them spin them selfs when hitting you or being hit
The numbers represent how much force is needed to deflect the car from its course, longitudinally, laterally, and vertically (though I don't know in which order, I just set them all the same). A larger, heavier care will have higher values, von Dutch recommends around 1.4 as a good starting point for GT cars, smaller cars will use lower values (I have a '67 F1 mod where 0.85-0.90 seems a reasonable figure). Run some practice sessions with the AI in the same cars as you and do a little "paint swapping"; if your car reacts more than the AI, lower the values, if the AI react more than you, raise the values. Set this too low and the slightest nudge will send the AI out of control. (I think some default values were around 3, making the AI like Mack trucks.)

I used Textcrawler to set all hdc files to von Dutch's specs, then lower some cars' values as need arises.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back