Did you know? GTR2 supports 180hz+ FFB

Shovas

Premium
Improved Force Feedback Feeling in GTR2 Approaching AMS1/rF1 Feel

Due to GTR2's FFB loop being tied to the refresh rate, the sky is the limit when it comes to GTR2's FFB update rate... *mindblown*

Treat yourself:

1. Download crowdsourced per-wheel FFB settings from the SHO Competition FFB mod

2. Disable vsync from the GTR2Config.exe program. This unlocks your video refresh rate which also unlocks your ffb rate providing you a much more refined ffb signal. For Steam, you can find it via the Steam GTR2 Manage menu options.

3. Recommended: Allow GTR2 to use all your CPU cores. This will dramatically increase your FPS and more FPS will make the FFB feel better. Download the free Bill's Process Manager or nagware Process Lasso to set CPU Affinity (make it use all your CPU cores) and set it to use all physical cores.

Now enjoy a much improved FFB driving experience, approaching AMS1/rF1 FFB, with less FFB clipping and more road feel even in high force cornering

Disabling vsync is not the only improvement:

The crowdsourced per-wheel PLR FFB parameters in the SHO Competition FFB mod are still much improved over default values and you should definitely feel an improvement. In particular, the default FFB Steer Force Output Max value was soft-clipping in the in-game ffb calculations at the default 1.8 value. Now, with a tuned value, road forces come through in high ffb corners and it should feel much better.

Enjoy! :)

---

Updates:

Update 2023-05-22:
Previous version of this post referenced 2005 FiaGT Mod (RD Download Link), which is a great mod (one of my personal favourites), but it was tuned for an older version of these FFB params and may not have the best feel anymore. That said, it still feels good, but the newest FFB params are tuned against original content cars and tracks now. Kudos to the authors of 2005 FiaGT Mod, GTR233, JorritVD, and LeSunTzu, for working on the ffb and tire model that makes it so expressive.

Update 2022-05-19: I actually ran an experiment with low fps to confirm ffb refresh rate is tied to framerate. Details in this comment.

Update 2020-04-19: Released an update to the mod with AMS1-inspired FFB and crowdsourced wheel PLRs. Click here to download it. Thank you everyone who helped out!

Update 2020-03-15: I have produced another set of FFB params inspired by AMS1 FFB params that may feel better for non-DD users. Click here for the comment with the details. *Previous updates at bottom.

Update 2019-11-15*: I have settled on a universal set of PLR FFB params instead of having one per car-set. After having discovered a key issue with the "FFB steer force output max=1.8" default value I was able to find a universal fit for all cars/mods. I have included the UserData PLR FFB Params you need to change below. See bottom for params.

Update 2019-11-15: My latest universal UserData PLR FFB Params:

FFB steer force average weight="1.00000"
FFB steer force exponent="0.75149"
FFB steer force input max="11500.00000"
FFB steer force output max="0.95000"
FFB steer force grip weight="0.17362"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"
FFB steer update thresh="0.00000"
FFB steer friction coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000"
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer damper saturation="1.00000"

Update 2019-07-03: EDIT: Added RD Download Link for 2005 FiaGT Mod. Check out Secrets of GTR2 Custom FFB Files for the latest FFB-tuned PLR files for stock cars and various other car sets. These FFB improvements are for any mod or car, not just the 2005 FiaGT Mod (that's just the first one that turned out really well).

Last edited:
Thanks! I was hoping somebody would try it. I find it an unbelievable better feel than what I had before, much closer to AMS than I ever expected to get, and, dare I say, physics and tyre model aside, this feels better than iRacing.

For me, the FFB is lighter, so more nuance is delivered during driving. Personally, I've found older sims tend to have very heavy steering resistance, so sensations such as tire slip, road condition, etc. get lost. It won't give you the feel of a modern sim- GTR2 is old and wasn't designed with modern hardware in mind- but it does deliver a marked improvement in feedback. So back up your PLR & give Shovas' settings a try- you can always roll back. Just my opinion- like anything, FFB is subject to personal taste. Use what you enjoy!

How does your PLR FBB settings feel with other mods or with the default content?
I find every mod needs intense FFB tuning because each modder/group seems to implement FFB slightly differently. That said, they tend to stick to the excessive FFB Steer Force Output Max that results in taking away all the road feel. I'm guessing they just keep using the default or close to it.

Anyway, you can check out my Table of Mods and Custom FFB Files if you're looking for a particular one - but none except 2005 FiaGT Mod(*) have the FFB Steer Force Output Max fix that brings out the road feel.

*I apparently haven't uploaded my latest 2005 FiaGT Mod tuned PLR to that table so beware. Use the PLR linked in the original post in this thread.

This sounds like just what I have been looking for, but now nogrip is no longer available. Have you posted to Race Department, or somewhere else?
P.S. Going the some Secrets of GTR2 files-I thank you-very enlightening. Keep up the good work!

This sounds like just what I have been looking for, but now nogrip is no longer available. Have you posted to Race Department, or somewhere else?
P.S. Going the some Secrets of GTR2 files-I thank you-very enlightening. Keep up the good work!
Oh, right, it still has an NG download link. I added the RD download link. These FFB improvements also apply to other mods/cars so I added a link to the Custom FFB Files on Secrets of GTR2, as well, so you can find the right PLR.

Update 2019-11-15*: I have settled on a universal set of PLR FFB params instead of having one per car-set. After having discovered a key issue with the "FFB steer force output max=1.8" default value I was able to find a universal fit for all cars/mods. I have included the UserData PLR FFB Params you need to change below. See bottom for params. (*)Previous updates at bottom.

I have updated the OP with my latest universal FFB params. Tested on an AccuForce V1 DD wheel. Would love to hear feedback! Enjoy!

I have updated the OP with my latest universal FFB params. Tested on an AccuForce V1 DD wheel. Would love to hear feedback! Enjoy!

Hi Shovas!
I'm testing with an Accuforce V1 using your FIA GT 2005 parameters in conjunction with your 11/15 update. I like it but I have too much resistance in the ffb. It feels good in the fast corners but in slower ones it has too much resistance . It feels like the ffb is at 200%. I'm also using your Sim Commander settings from your web page. I've tried decreasing the ffb in SC4 and lowering the gain in the .plr file but it doesn't lessen the overpowering ffb much. I don't like a strong ffb in the wheel as I like to feel the nuances of weight transfer, etc.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome!
Thanks for your continued efforts in support of this great sim!

I think I have my AF Strength at 60% and my in-game gain at 100% (ie. manage all strength with AF).

I'm not sure what else might be the issue. Maybe post your PLR and screens of your AF settings.

I think I have my AF Strength at 60% and my in-game gain at 100% (ie. manage all strength with AF).

I'm not sure what else might be the issue. Maybe post your PLR and screens of your AF settings.

I finally got it sorted. I set the Mode to Default and reduced the Overall Intensity to 75% in SC4 and it feels a lot better.
I guess it differs from user to user.... :)

Marvelous. The settings worked great for my Fanatec CLS Elite. I just added a little more dampening to take the edge off. Won my first race feeling really connected to the car. Finally done tinkering after a week of testing and chasing my tail.

Marvelous. The settings worked great for my Fanatec CLS Elite. I just added a little more dampening to take the edge off. Won my first race feeling really connected to the car. Finally done tinkering after a week of testing and chasing my tail.

Congrats, I'm happy you've found some good settings.

You might be interested in this download that contains much more recent settings, including a few variations so you can see what you like best:

Shovas, I tried the 4 settings and so far I am using a mixture. If you are interested in what I am currently using I have attached it here. I was able to tone down the road vibrations w/o over dampening. I always run my wheel force at 100 which is why the in game gain value is at 50. Once again thanks for all the time you spent on this!

Attachments

• GTR 2 PLT v1.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 164

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 72 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 77 10.1%
  • < 4 years