Did you know? GTR2 supports 180hz+ FFB

Shovas

Premium
Improved Force Feedback Feeling in GTR2 Approaching AMS1/rF1 Feel

Due to GTR2's FFB loop being tied to the refresh rate, the sky is the limit when it comes to GTR2's FFB update rate... *mindblown*

Treat yourself:

1. Download crowdsourced per-wheel FFB settings from the SHO Competition FFB mod

2. Disable vsync from the GTR2Config.exe program. This unlocks your video refresh rate which also unlocks your ffb rate providing you a much more refined ffb signal. For Steam, you can find it via the Steam GTR2 Manage menu options.

3. Recommended: Allow GTR2 to use all your CPU cores. This will dramatically increase your FPS and more FPS will make the FFB feel better. Download the free Bill's Process Manager or nagware Process Lasso to set CPU Affinity (make it use all your CPU cores) and set it to use all physical cores.

Now enjoy a much improved FFB driving experience, approaching AMS1/rF1 FFB, with less FFB clipping and more road feel even in high force cornering

Disabling vsync is not the only improvement:

The crowdsourced per-wheel PLR FFB parameters in the SHO Competition FFB mod are still much improved over default values and you should definitely feel an improvement. In particular, the default FFB Steer Force Output Max value was soft-clipping in the in-game ffb calculations at the default 1.8 value. Now, with a tuned value, road forces come through in high ffb corners and it should feel much better.

Enjoy! :)

---

Updates:

Update 2023-05-22:
Previous version of this post referenced 2005 FiaGT Mod (RD Download Link), which is a great mod (one of my personal favourites), but it was tuned for an older version of these FFB params and may not have the best feel anymore. That said, it still feels good, but the newest FFB params are tuned against original content cars and tracks now. Kudos to the authors of 2005 FiaGT Mod, GTR233, JorritVD, and LeSunTzu, for working on the ffb and tire model that makes it so expressive.

Update 2022-05-19: I actually ran an experiment with low fps to confirm ffb refresh rate is tied to framerate. Details in this comment.

Update 2020-04-19: Released an update to the mod with AMS1-inspired FFB and crowdsourced wheel PLRs. Click here to download it. Thank you everyone who helped out!

Update 2020-03-15: I have produced another set of FFB params inspired by AMS1 FFB params that may feel better for non-DD users. Click here for the comment with the details. *Previous updates at bottom.

Update 2019-11-15*: I have settled on a universal set of PLR FFB params instead of having one per car-set. After having discovered a key issue with the "FFB steer force output max=1.8" default value I was able to find a universal fit for all cars/mods. I have included the UserData PLR FFB Params you need to change below. See bottom for params.

Update 2019-11-15: My latest universal UserData PLR FFB Params:

FFB steer force average weight="1.00000"
FFB steer force exponent="0.75149"
FFB steer force input max="11500.00000"
FFB steer force output max="0.95000"
FFB steer force grip weight="0.17362"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"
FFB steer update thresh="0.00000"
FFB steer friction coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000"
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer damper saturation="1.00000"

Update 2019-07-03: EDIT: Added RD Download Link for 2005 FiaGT Mod. Check out Secrets of GTR2 Custom FFB Files for the latest FFB-tuned PLR files for stock cars and various other car sets. These FFB improvements are for any mod or car, not just the 2005 FiaGT Mod (that's just the first one that turned out really well).

Last edited:
I tried Shovas-v5-beta3 with GTR2(P&G). I use a Logitech G920. It's an improvement, for sure. I had to set FFB to reverse and dial back FFB strength to about 70%. Setting it much above that leads to "chattering" you can feel (but not hear) in the wheel on straights. That's not unique to this setup, I've noticed it with other sims and suspect is't one of the reasons people gripe about the Logitech wheels -- mine is much smoother at lower strength settings.

A problem (?) is that after editing-in your settings to the .plr file and running the sim, the Spring Saturation Pos and Spring Saturation Neg values get reset to zero. I don't know what they affect, if anything.

Thanks for uploading this.

Glad to hear you find it an improvement! Were there any qualities of the FFB in particular that you found to be improved?

Please upload your PLR if you make any tweaks. So far I have a CSL Elite, T300RS, and you would be a G920, and I could include all those in the FFB mod for people to pick the right ones.

The saturation question is likely due to overwriting the FFB params that start with "FFB Joy...". They don't need to be overwritten.

I'd say restore your backup and copy&paste again selecting everything starting with "FFB" but NOT starting with "FFB Joy". Should be easy, "FFB Joy" lines are all at the bottom.

Basically,

FFB Device Type
...to...
FFB jolt magnitude

Good luck!

How to use the PLRs above:

Open in a text editor and copy all "FFB" lines EXCEPT lines starting with "FFB Joy" lines and replace the same lines in your own PLR. It's easy to select the right lines just start selecting from "FFB Device Type" and go to "FFB jolt magnitude".

Added note about how/what to copy&paste paste from the attachments into your own PLR file.

Update 2020-03-15: I have produced another set of FFB params inspired by AMS1 FFB params that may feel better for non-DD users. Click here for the comment with the details. *Previous updates at bottom.

Improved Force Feedback Feeling in GTR2 Approaching AMS1/AC1/rF1 Feel

Due to GTR2's FFB loop being tied to the refresh rate, the sky is the limit when it comes to GTR2's FFB update rate. *mindblown*

Treat yourself right now:

1. Click here to use the PLRs attached to this comment in your own UserData PLR file (instructions on what to copy&paste in the comment)

2. Disable vsync to unlock your video refresh rate which also unlocks your ffb rate providing you a much more refined ffb signal. You can disable vsync in the GTR2 Video Options app (the GTR2Config.exe application). You should be able to find it via the Steam GTR2 Manage menu options.

3. Recommended but optional: Download the free Bill's Process Manager or nagware Process Lasso to set CPU Affinity (make it use all your CPU cores) and set it to use all physical cores. This will give you dramatically more FPS and more FPS will make the FFB feel better.

4. Enjoy a much improved FFB driving experience, approaching AMS1/AC1/rF1 FFB, with less FFB clipping and more road feel even in high force cornering

Previous version of this post referenced 2005 FiaGT Mod (RD Download Link), which is a great mod (one of my my personal must-have GTR2 mods), but it was tuned for an older version of these FFB params and may not have the best feel anymore. That said, it still feels good, but the newest FFB params are tuned against original content cars and tracks now. Kudos to the authors of 2005 FiaGT Mod, GTR233, JorritVD, and LeSunTzu, for working on the ffb and tire model that makes it so expressive.

Disabling vsync is not the only improvement:

The PLR FFB param changes are still much improved over default values and you should definitely feel an improvement. In particular, the default FFB Steer Force Output Max value was soft-clipping in the in-game ffb calculations at the default 1.8 value. Now, with a tuned value, road forces come through in high ffb corners and it should feel much better.

Enjoy! :)

---

Updates:

Update 2019-11-15*: I have settled on a universal set of PLR FFB params instead of having one per car-set. After having discovered a key issue with the "FFB steer force output max=1.8" default value I was able to find a universal fit for all cars/mods. I have included the UserData PLR FFB Params you need to change below. See bottom for params.

Update 2019-11-15: My latest universal UserData PLR FFB Params:

FFB steer force average weight="1.00000"
FFB steer force exponent="0.75149"
FFB steer force input max="11500.00000"
FFB steer force output max="0.95000"
FFB steer force grip weight="0.17362"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"
FFB steer update thresh="0.00000"
FFB steer friction coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000"
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.04597"
FFB steer damper saturation="1.00000"

Update 2019-07-03: EDIT: Added RD Download Link for 2005 FiaGT Mod. Check out Secrets of GTR2 Custom FFB Files for the latest FFB-tuned PLR files for stock cars and various other car sets. These FFB improvements are for any mod or car, not just the 2005 FiaGT Mod (that's just the first one that turned out really well).

Reworked OP for much simpler and more straight-forward instructions on what to do and how to do it.

Just checking in to give some minor adjustments I have made to my own personal PLR. This is after running many more car and track combinations thanks to the excellent mods available here on the site.

1) FFB steer vibe wave type from "1" square, to "0" sin. (Takes some of the edge off the vibration)
2) FFB steer force exponent from "1.00000" to "0.85000". (More direct on-center feel)

My wheel is a Fanatec CSL elite belt driven which seems to naturally mute small track details, so to compensate, I run with an unusually high FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.09520".

Glad to hear you find it an improvement! Were there any qualities of the FFB in particular that you found to be improved?

Please upload your PLR if you make any tweaks. So far I have a CSL Elite, T300RS, and you would be a G920, and I could include all those in the FFB mod for people to pick the right ones.

The saturation question is likely due to overwriting the FFB params that start with "FFB Joy...". They don't need to be overwritten.

I'd say restore your backup and copy&paste again selecting everything starting with "FFB" but NOT starting with "FFB Joy". Should be easy, "FFB Joy" lines are all at the bottom.

I attached my current PLR file (renamed as a .txt so I could upload it). This was done per the old instructions. Using WinMerge (great tool for this sort of thing) to compare it with your beta 3 I think the important changes I made are the reduced FFB Gain and the negative numbers for FFB steer force input and
FFB rumble strip pull factor.

Note this is from a P&G instance of GTR2.

It's hard to describe the improvements, but I'll try. The best sign that your settings work better is that I'm spinning less and, when I do get into trouble, I recover better. I think - and I may be completely wrong - it's because I'm getting a little skitter when the read wheels get loose, whereas I used to only get info about the front wheels sliding via the loss of wheel strength.

Another thing I noticed is that the wheel seems to be shaking more with the visual shaking from bumps, etc. Formerly the wheel would be steady even when the everything on the screen was vibrating.

Attachments

• JPS.txt
    49.8 KB · Views: 133
A question about some things I noticed in your PLR file. These don't seem to have any set-ability via the P&G GUI and I'm wondering what they do:

Opposite Lock="0"
Stability Control="1"

I also noticed that you have what seem like higher graphics settings than I have (again, I'm setting things via the P&G GUI).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I attached my current PLR file (renamed as a .txt so I could upload it). This was done per the old instructions. Using WinMerge (great tool for this sort of thing) to compare it with your beta 3 I think the important changes I made are the reduced FFB Gain and the negative numbers for FFB steer force input and
FFB rumble strip pull factor.

Thanks!

It's hard to describe the improvements, but I'll try. The best sign that your settings work better is that I'm spinning less and, when I do get into trouble, I recover better. I think - and I may be completely wrong - it's because I'm getting a little skitter when the read wheels get loose, whereas I used to only get info about the front wheels sliding via the loss of wheel strength.

Very interesting, thank you!

Another thing I noticed is that the wheel seems to be shaking more with the visual shaking from bumps, etc. Formerly the wheel would be steady even when the everything on the screen was vibrating.

Yes, exactly, that should be because steering forces now avoid soft-clipping and that allows Grip Weight and road feel to express themselves stronger through ffb. Previously, they were simply washed out by steering force in high ffb scenarios.

A question about some things I noticed in your PLR file. These don't seem to have any set-ability via the P&G GUI and I'm wondering what they do:

Opposite Lock="0"
Stability Control="1"

I'm guessing but I believe Opposite Lock is an driving aid setting and it auto-steers for you in over-steer situations when driving. It's a realism option in-game.

Pretty sure but also guessing, Stability Control is a realism setting in-game too. It auto-throttles for you when you lose grip due to spinning the wheels on-throttle. It's a magical driving aid not like Traction Control.

I also noticed that you have what seem like higher graphics settings than I have (again, I'm setting things via the P&G GUI).

Hm...I thought I reset graphics to default params at some point. I used to edit some things in but I don't think it accomplished much. Otherwise I just used the Video Options GTR2Config.exe app and the in-game graphics options.

Something I meant to ask you before: is there a particular car and/or track you use for FFB testing?

I do lean towards the Ferrari 575 or the BMW M3 GTR at tracks like Imola or Donnington but before I release a beta or full release I try to get in as many cars and tracks as I can. Some cars feel better and some could use some improvement but because it's only one PLR file there's only so much you can do. I find the FFB at least acceptable on all the combos of original content cars and tracks.

Just checking in to give some minor adjustments I have made to my own personal PLR. This is after running many more car and track combinations thanks to the excellent mods available here on the site.

1) FFB steer vibe wave type from "1" square, to "0" sin. (Takes some of the edge off the vibration)
2) FFB steer force exponent from "1.00000" to "0.85000". (More direct on-center feel)

My wheel is a Fanatec CSL elite belt driven which seems to naturally mute small track details, so to compensate, I run with an unusually high FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.09520".

Do you mind uploading your latest again so I can include it in the mod?

Not sure if I have your latest params.

I have produced a new set of FFB params inspired by AMS1's FFB params that I hope feels better for Non-DD wheels. I'd appreciate if you could try it out and let me know how it feels. Incidentally, these settings also feel good on GT Legends.

Please try tuning "FFB steer force output max" (default 1.8, recommended 1.0-1.35) to your preference. Also try tuning "FFB steer force grip weight" (default 0.9, recommended 0.1-0.6). Steer Vibe params tweaked. All other FFB params are at AMS1 default values. Please post your params if you find something you like so I can try and see what non-DD wheel users prefer.

Try each iteration below to find one you like (attached below). Backup your PLR first!

Shovas - v5-beta3_PLR.txt
:
- Reduce exaggerated grip loss feel in loss-of-grip scenarios (ie. lateral sliding) by down-tuning "FFB steer force grip weight=0.40781". I am not sure if this will feel better or worse on non-DD wheels but it feels better to me on a DD. Feedback welcome.
- Friendly for Non-DD and DD wheels

Shovas - v5-beta2_PLR.txt:
- Try to reach max steering force without (much) FFB clipping because non-DD wheels lose a lot of steering force without this. Now "FFB steer force output max=1.35" which results in some clipping but it's tolerable.
- Tuned "FFB steer force grip weight=0.67500" because tuning "FFB steer force output max" caused loss-of-grip slides to feel exaggerated. This Grip Weight is 25% less than the default (0.9) to correlate with the percentage change of "FFB steer force output max" (ie. 1.8 to 1.35 = 25%). Grip Weight could still be lower and I may keep tuning lower in future iterations.

Shovas - v5-beta1_PLR.txt:
- Automobilista 1 inspired tuning (attemps to maintain strong steering while avoiding clipping)
- Tune "FFB steer force output max" between 1.0 and 1.35 for greater steering strength but try to avoid FFB clipping

How to use the PLRs above:

Open in a text editor and copy all "FFB" lines EXCEPT lines starting with "FFB Joy" lines and replace the same lines in your own PLR. It's easy to select the right lines just start selecting from "FFB Device Type" and go to "FFB jolt magnitude".

Note: For reference, I've added "AMS1 Controller_ini.txt" so you can see what it's original values are like

Reminders about disabling effects I like but you may not like:

- Disable Friction: FFB steer friction coefficient="0.00000"

- Disable Damper: FFB steer damper coefficient="0.00000"

- Disable Rumble Strips: FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.00000"

- Disable Brake Vibration: FFB brake vibe zero magnitude="0.00000"

- Disable Throttle Vibration: FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.00000"

- Disable Steering Vibration: FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.00000"

I noticed after viewing AMS1's Controller.ini that most of its FFB params matched GTR2's PLR FFB params (same names, different values) so I copy&pasted them in to see what it felt like. While amazing under AMS it resulted in FFB clipping in GTR2 so again I had to lower Steer Force Output Max and I felt I had to reduce Grip Weight but everything else is pretty much the same.

I still prefer v4 for DD wheels but for others this may feel better.

I have attached WIP PLRs from ToddMcDanger (CSL Elite), Jean-Paul Sarti (G920), and myself (AccuForce V1), to help people try their own version.

I found 1 or 2 hours yesterday late evening to test the Shovas - v5-beta2_PLR version ... just after using for 15 minutes the previous V3 that I was using and was not perfectly OK with.

There's an interesting difference and it feels much better.
Maybe just an impression ... but this V5 seems to be more consistant and to help to feel much better the grip loss ( in a race test another car touched mine and could quickly be aware I might be loosing the car and could easily catch it ... as the loss feeling was very clear and quickly felt ).

Not yet tried Todd's one ... it'll be for another drive later.

NB: and yes it reminds me of the AMS1 FFB feel ... really fine and in this case fine as vibrations are not exagerated at all ( if in fact not totally absent ;) ) ... not a big fan of too many vibrations ( souvenirs of my previous G27 compared to the T300RS ! :roflmao: )

Can you upload your PLR if you made any modifications? I plan to include wheel-specific PLRs in the next release of the mod if available.

Thanks

There was no modification made at all ... it was not needed. ;)

The only modification which might happen will only concern mod cars as the wheel force may vary from one car to another car ... but this will only happen in the game itself and not manually in the .plr file.

That's the FFB Steering Force.
Sometimes too strong ... sometimes too light. ( and I really don't know what it may change in plr as I never compared it before and after such a change )
As I'm not an expert for car physics ... I don't know where the difference is in the car game files .. but it seems modders have different ways of doing things at this point of view.

( For G27 and Thrustmaster wheel ... the higher this percent in GTR2 the lighter the wheel will feel .... and the lower the % is ..the harder it will feel )

Don't wanna make an extra-thread but I am playing the game with an X-Box360-Controller and it never FFB's at all no matter which settings I adjust. . Is there a hint for that as well!?

Oh, so you're looking for some rumble? I don't think that would be supported?

I did a quick search it might be provided by a patch? Worth a search if you're interested.

Hi,

I've tested the settings posted here, and I liked the Beta v3 the most (I have a Logitech Driving Force GT)... Yet, I still made some changes to my taste, in terms of vibration, 'cause the lack of it in this setting felt a bit weird to me... Still, I want the steering to feel heavier... Which values do I have to work with, to get feeling I'm looking for?

Thank you.

Cheers.

Hi,

I've tested the settings posted here, and I liked the Beta v3 the most (I have a Logitech Driving Force GT)... Yet, I still made some changes to my taste, in terms of vibration, 'cause the lack of it in this setting felt a bit weird to me... Still, I want the steering to feel heavier... Which values do I have to work with, to get feeling I'm looking for?

Thank you.

Cheers.
What wheel do you have? Can you attach your PLR when you're happy with it? I'll include it in the mod when I push the beta.

To make the wheel have stronger steering forces increase Steer Force Output Max (default: 1.8, recommended 1.0-1.35-ish). Caution: The higher you go the more clipping you'll have. You'll notice this as the wheel going number in high ffb corners instead of being able to feel roadfeel and bumps all the way through the corner.

If you're actually thinking about tightening up forces around center (or helping eliminate center deadzone) then decrease Steer Force Exponent. This "brings on" ffb strength sooner, so center feels tighter, but uses up ffb strength earlier resulting in earlier clipping. It also affects the way forces are expressed. A bad example would be going over a perfectly round speed bump might feel more like going over a triangular road bump (somewhere between the two feelings). The lower value you use the more it can distort the real feeling of forces.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back