Did you know? GTR2 has fully animated feet

Shovas

Premium
This kinda blew my mind. I just did a clean install of GTR2 to test out Crew Chief (which is amazing btw; install instructions here) and with my stock wide field of view I noticed the feet were moving.

The right foot moves in and out on the gas pedal as you would expect. The left foot brakes but it will also move over to the clutch and go in and out there. Here's one I didn't expect, when slowing down for a corner the right foot moves over to the brake pedal while the left foot stays on the clutch...for heel and toe I guess? I didn't catch if they actually animated that. This particular animation was in automatic mode. I didn't see it happening in manual mode.

So, yeah, there's that. GTR2 continues to surprise me 15 years later.

Here's a screenshot slowing down to a corner at Imola. It's a little dark but if you look closely you'll see the left foot on the clutch and the right foot on the brake, not the gas. They didn't cut any corners with this foot animation :D

Last edited:
It's much more noticeable in VR, I also very much appreciate hand shifting animation in GTR2, it's missing in some newer games. Yeah, the oldie rocks for sure! :)

My last big surprise in GTR2 was the Neutral button. If you assign it, game won't let you downshift into N and R by accident, and real racing cars often have this button in some form, either hold both paddles, hold button etc.

Last edited:
My last big surprise in GTR2 was the Neutral button. If you assign it, game won't let you downshift into N and R by accident, and real racing cars often have this button in some form, either hold both paddles, hold button etc.
Oh that is cool. What do you assign it to? I could never think of a good key since my G27 shifter doesn't behave well in 'hold button to shift' mode.

Oh that is cool. What do you assign it to? I could never think of a good key since my G27 shifter doesn't behave well in 'hold button to shift' mode.
I am not sure I understand your situation, but I simply assign it to one of the buttons on the wheel. This button is meant to improve simulation of the sequentially shifted cars (either paddles or stick). It does nothing in hold button mode. It works very well though for simulating modern race cars.

BTW, plugin supports additional features like downshift protection or only go to neutral when stopped, and more things are coming, so stay tuned ;)

Last edited:
Nice. I've gotten Crew Chief to work on a vanilla Steam install. Now I'd like to figure out how to get it to run on an Anniversary Patch install.
It's exactly same stuff - simply use steam .exe and .dlls, Anniversary defaults to nocd binaries, and my plugin requires Steam binaries. By me the easiest way of applying is to have Steam Vanilla working first, then delete all the .dll and .exe out of the extracted Anniversary Patch's root before copying it over.

Last edited:
Cool, so 4GB patch I can apply, I recall reading, and what about gray cars?

I heard something about a weather edit to the exe too? Is that available to apply to the steam exe that is compatible with CC?

Cool, so 4GB patch I can apply, I recall reading, and what about gray cars?

I heard something about a weather edit to the exe too? Is that available to apply to the steam exe that is compatible with CC?
Plugin contains the weather patch (and many other fixes, just check the manual) - you just need to enable the feature. Grey cars is user's responsibility for now (there are multiple ways to fix it, and HQ Anni has patched binary).

The next update will enable all the critical fixes in the plugin on by default, so it will no longer need startup .ini file.

I believe XD and mapplugin both can be fully replaced with SimHub. Jempy mentioned there are some features that are missing - pit stop interaction? I might implement voice commands for that one day. That said, since GTR2 does not work online well, so super fast pit stop is not that important, it's kind of pointless work in my view, at least it is lower priority than other things.

Last edited:
Amazing. Will try all this later today hopefully.
If you build a nice SimHub UI for GTR2, you could share it with others. You probably could find some AMS/rF1 one as a starting point - same plugin is used for GTR2. I do not use HUDs/UI as I find them immersion breaking, but we all like different things :) SimHub is probably one of the best software I ever used, it's extremely flexible, powerful - you can do anything with it. It can replace JoyToKey, etc etc etc, basically quality mega tool for sim racing.

I use it to drive tactile transducers and to add Motec/gauges to RBR. I just discovered it can send gear grinding to transducers, something that works amazing with the upcoming H-Shifting improvements in my plugin (beta is already out for that).

Lastly, CC itself supports hundreds of voice commands - pretty much all you see in HUD you can get answered by the Chief.

Last edited:
Okay, so I got it working with the Anni Patch.

I was in practice with a 90min session and the spotter called checkered flag at the 80min mark but it wasn't like that in game. I thought it was daylight acceleration maybe but that's set to realtime. Any ideas?

So, you are the author of the default Crew Chief GTR2 plugin is that it? And Bjarne is working on another one that you have to install manually?

Okay, so I got it working with the Anni Patch.

I was in practice with a 90min session and the spotter called checkered flag at the 80min mark but it wasn't like that in game. I thought it was daylight acceleration maybe but that's set to realtime. Any ideas?

So, you are the author of the default Crew Chief GTR2 plugin is that it? And Bjarne is working on another one that you have to install manually?
I'll put a note, will check timing in Practice session.

Well, yes, I am the main author, but there were many people that helped in one way or another. I've been working on CC for a few years, mostly on rF2 (but decided to take a break :) )

Last edited:
I already noticed there was a problem with session timing messages ( and a same problem with fuel messages ) ... even with the latest official version.

For fuel, I suspect it's a more general CC problem as I already heard this kind of messages for need of fuel in other sims at the wrong moment ... should this be due to a rather general problem with the data given by the games themselves ?

For timing ... should the problem find its source in the possibility of using time or laps as base for a racing session ? .... Practice and Qualifying sessions are always based on duration while races may be both on duration or number of laps.

I already noticed there was a problem with session timing messages ( and a same problem with fuel messages ) ... even with the latest official version.

For fuel, I suspect it's a more general CC problem as I already heard this kind of messages for need of fuel in other sims at the wrong moment ... should this be due to a rather general problem with the data given by the games themselves ?

For timing ... should the problem find its source in the possibility of using time or laps as base for a racing session ? .... Practice and Qualifying sessions are always based on duration while races may be both on duration or number of laps.
For Championship, there's a fix for lap vs time race detection, which would cause all sorts of problems (will come out with next CC update). When I have time, I will also check session length in Prac/Quali and fuel stuff to see if I can spot anything - thanks for bringing those to my attention.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 38.9%