Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

I am curious how people are actually getting one of these high demand video cards. Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter, etc.. Get online and look at a specific time? Sign-up to be notified?

I am not interested in doing anything crazy but if there is a simple way to get a card, that would be great.

Many are using a Google Chrome extension named Distill Web Monitor which can be tailored to track Web page changes and give instant alerts when stock appears.

The professional scalpers go so far as to use paid subscription services such as Bounce Alerts so that the whole purchasing process is automated in their absence.

Last edited:
Honestly if you've got a reasonably good card at the moment then you're better off waiting until the 30 series becomes more readily available.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. First runs of new products often encounter production problems, waiting a while until these problems are ironed out should give you a more reliable product in the long run.

2. The first versions of the drivers for a new GPU are often not particularly optimised, so having the new big thing right now may not be giving you the best performance that the card is capable of. Of course in time the drivers will improve and you'll reap the benefits - eventually.

And finally when it comes to driving sims there are not many that tax the GPU, outside of ACC that is. And as far as VR is concerned then bad performance mostly a case of the sim not being optimised for VR rather than any deficit of the GPU - at least if you've got a good last generation GPU that is.

As a 2080Ti owner I'm going to sit it out until the early part of next year before I make a move.

Honestly if you've got a reasonably good card at the moment then you're better off waiting until the 30 series becomes more readily available.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. First runs of new products often encounter production problems, waiting a while until these problems are ironed out should give you a more reliable product in the long run.

2. The first versions of the drivers for a new GPU are often not particularly optimised, so having the new big thing right now may not be giving you the best performance that the card is capable of. Of course in time the drivers will improve and you'll reap the benefits - eventually.

And finally when it comes to driving sims there are not many that tax the GPU, outside of ACC that is. And as far as VR is concerned then bad performance mostly a case of the sim not being optimised for VR rather than any deficit of the GPU - at least if you've got a good last generation GPU that is.

As a 2080Ti owner I'm going to sit it out until the early part of next year before I make a move.
I
Many are using a Google Chrome extension named Distill Web Monitor which can be tailored to track Web page changes and give instant alerts when stock appears.

The professional scalpers go so far as to use paid subscription services such as Bounce Alerts so that the whole purchasing process is automated in their absence.
Great tip. Thanks. I have it setup to watch a couple pages. Its like going fishing.

KFA2 SG 3080 owner here, preordered on Sep. 17 4pm and sent Oct.1

Lucky to be on first and only batch from them because its a hidden brand that nobody wants.
Other brands like ASUS EVGA and Gigabyte had more demand an the waitlist is like hell.

People that made his preorder after Sep. 18 is waiting actually and they only have bad news about delays to christmas or 2021.

If you want it now, you just pay more than adecuate, or takes advantage of bots, or too much freetime smashing F5.

Im from Spain by the way.

I had a small window on the 3090 launch day here in the USA where I could have purchased a prebuilt computer that included a 3090 from Best Buy, but that seemed wasteful since I'd just purchased a new computer.

Then 4 days later my old video card died. It's going to be a long winter. Sigh.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

There was some info from Gamer Nexus that big shipment is on the way.
Still waiting for EVGA Hybrid anyway, which is Mid-End November ETA.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some info from Gamer Nexus that big shipment is on the way.
Still waiting for EVGA Hybrid anyway, which is Mid-End November ETA.

Sounds like you know exactly what you want and are waiting for it vs. settling for anything you can get.

I'm thinking more people could learn from your example.

• Deleted member 197115

Sounds like you know exactly what you want and are waiting for it vs. settling for anything you can get.
You give me way too much credit, ideally I should have waited for Hybrid Ti, but who has the patience. :D

My RX 5700XT isn’t exactly a slouch so I’m content with waiting. The 6700 should be out next month and will be a 3080 competitor. I was considering abandoning AMD because of issues I had with my recently purchased Reverb but they were resolved with a beta firmware.
I’m really keen on the 3080 but if I can’t get it for MSRP I’m just gonna get AMD or keep gaming with my 5700 XT since it’s on par with the 2080 which is fine for 1440P right now.

On launch day I pushed the order button on exactly the right time I guess. No AI bots, tools or anything else. Just the old skool 'push mouse button' on the NVidia site.

I was 'lucky' that I could order an expensive RTX3090. Yep completely voluntarily but still have to overcome the investment. Yes all games I can play at max ultra settings in 4K which is gorgeous but €1549 for a GPU....Now waiting for the Reverb G2 mid November

Last edited:
On launch day I pushed the order button on exactly the right time I guess. No AI bots, tools or anything else. Just the old skool 'push mouse button' on the NVidia site.

I was 'lucky' that I could order an expensive RTX3090. Yep completely voluntarily but still have to overcome the investment. Yes all games I can play at max ultra settings in 4K which is gorgeous but €1549 for a GPU....Now waiting for the Reverb G2 mid November

Well I paid pretty much 1400 CHF for my ASUS Strix OC 2080Ti (approx €1300 at current FX rates) so even though the 3090 is a bit more expensive it's certainly not outside of what I'm accustomed to.

I've got a Reverb G1 and my 2080Ti handles that absolutely fine as long as I rein in SteamVR's default over enthusiasm for supersampling - It's just not needed on that HMD anyway.

There are a couple of sims that I have to bring down the graphics on with the G1 - ACC of course, but also Raceroom and rFactor don't play well with VR taking a bit of fiddling to get good results, but I feel these are CPU bound rather GPU bound. Neither makes use of cores well, and this appears to affect the amount draw calls that the CPU can issue, which is a big deal in VR, and no BFGPU will solve.

Last edited:
I ordered a new PC 2 weeks ago with a rtx 3080 and it was built and at home 8 days after that. I thought it would take a month at least but I was lucky. I did not receive the exact 3080 card I was hoping for but coming from a 760 gpu anything would be a worthy upgrade.

When Cpu bound, supersampling is your friend

Not always. If, like Raceroom and rFactor, the game is single thread/core limited then you can end up with a situation where the processor can't keep up with the draw calls needed, especially in VR where the draw calls are doubled. So, you find that you need to go to the graphic settings and knock back anything that's likely to be heavy on draw calls - shadows for instance. With these games The GPU can be idling on full graphic settings, but a single core can be fully maxed out unable to keep up.

Once you've done that you can end up with a pretty poor image, and supersampling a poor image just gives you a smoother poor image - not a ideal situation.

Also supersampling doesn't really bring much to the table with an HMD like the Reverb series as the resolution is already so high that the individual pixels are barely visible.

Supersampling is very much a case of diminishing returns. The lower the resolution of the HMD then the more supersampling has an effect, but with something like the Reverb at 2160x2160 per eye it's not needed nearly as much as, say, with a Rift HMD, and at the Reverb's resolution you're probably already giving the GPU a workout, so you don't want to tax it further with unneeded SS.

Last edited:
Sounds like I can pick up a MSI tri or ventus end of the month if I tell them now I want it.

Darn it, quite in two minds because I could be waiting for a while otherwise. I want it to run my G2 but have a nagging thing that the 20gb version will be the one I need. At the same time, I have a feeling that the 20gb price will be reasonably higher price as nvidia have a big pricing gap between the 3080 and 3090. Over here msi would be $1500 in our $$. > $3000 for 3090 so I am guessing here the 3080 20gb will be around the price a 2080ti was here ~$2400.. Quite a jump in price if I am ballpark.

Heh, I really dont like having to jump on something early without knowing the other info but if I dont I might not have anything for another couple months.. 1st world problems.

Sounds like I can pick up a MSI tri or ventus end of the month if I tell them now I want it.

Darn it, quite in two minds because I could be waiting for a while otherwise. I want it to run my G2 but have a nagging thing that the 20gb version will be the one I need. At the same time, I have a feeling that the 20gb price will be reasonably higher price as nvidia have a big pricing gap between the 3080 and 3090. Over here msi would be $1500 in our $$. > $3000 for 3090 so I am guessing here the 3080 20gb will be around the price a 2080ti was here ~$2400.. Quite a jump in price if I am ballpark.

Heh, I really dont like having to jump on something early without knowing the other info but if I dont I might not have anything for another couple months.. 1st world problems.
You never said "how" you would get it.

You never said "how" you would get it.

I am on the other side of the world, a guy who I race with owns a shop and has a few not yet spoken for that he says will arrive end of october.. So a good opportunity, or something I may regret weeks later? I dont think nvidia will make me regret as I still reckon a 20gb model will be much higher price.. wonder about amd though, and even then... I f they have something, when could i get my hands on it anyhow.. A bird in the hand and all of that..

I'm also waiting to see what AMD brings to the table, I am in no hurry, so I can wait till Jan before I push the buy button.
I'm building a new system and I have to wait for the Ryzen 5900X everything else I have already purchased, and can't wait to get my AMD system on my rig, as the CPU will become available first "fingers crossed", I will use my RTX2800 "which O/Cs like it's possessed by Satan" meanwhile.

My existing system can run on the 9900K GFX .

AMD or Nvidia I have no loyalty to either had a mixture of both over the years, still remember my 9800pro it was a beat back in the day with my Barton 3200 cpu

Lucky for me, I gave my Daughter my 2nd PC this year 7700K / GTX1070, I'm using an old AMD A10 raden HD 7790 and I can believe how crap it, it was capable back in 2015

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 186 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 364 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 507 39.0%